[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could this laptop satisfy Stallman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Olimex Teres I.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Olimex Teres I.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
Olimex is making "as open as possible" laptop with quad Cortex-A53 processors and 11.6'' screen.

https://olimex.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/teres-i-do-it-yourself-open-source-hardware-and-software-hackers-friendly-laptop-is-complete/

All drivers are in mainline kernel and there is no closed-source firmware with the exception of the Mali GPU driver.

It will be launched at FOSDEM 2017 later this month.
>>
>>58759268
>exception of
not good enough for stallman
I'd buy one, though, if I weren't poor.
>>
>>58759355
Didn't he use Yeeloong Lemote, which can't run emacs on Gnome without stuttering every three seconds, for years?
>>
>>58759355
>with the exception of the Mali GPU driver.
So, without that, will it not be able to do 3d acceleration or no video out at all?
How bout throw on a FPGA GPU onto the board for lulz?
>>
>>58759268
If chromebook wasn't good enough for him then why would this PoS would be?
>>
>>58759437
>FPGA GPU

FPGAs that are fast enough to actually drive displays require non-free tools to program.

>>58759536
Chromebooks have bootloaders that are locked by default and many devices ship with closed-source drivers. Stallman doesn't want anything locked by default.
>>
>>58759268
We should make a RISC-V based computer
>>
>>58759394
He switched to a thinkpad
>>
>>58759268
>Do It Yourself Open Source Haredware and Software Hacker's friendly Modular Laptop
>Haredware
>>
File: 1479885601650.gif (973KB, 285x171px) Image search: [Google]
1479885601650.gif
973KB, 285x171px
>>58759268
Freedom boner engaged
>>
>>58759658
That's not the problem.
We can remove the closed source boot loader because it's based on Libre Software.
Hardware wise there's the arm drivers in the mainline kernels.
So it's pretty much bullshit that he doesn't support chromebooks post mod.
>>
>>58759658
>>58760473
Source on Stallman not supporting Chromebooks running FOSS firmware? I can see him not using one personally because they are still weaker than older Thinkpad X200 and T400 series.
>>
>>58759268
>Backdoored NSA botnet ARM chip

No thanks faggot

- Posted from my Apple ][
>>
>>58759268
>Could this laptop satisfy Stallman?
Nope
> > > over a considerable period of time, pine64 and the sunxi community
> > > worked to eliminate as many of those GPL violations as they could, but
> > > Allwinner insisted on keeping the early-bootloader proprietary.
> > >
> > > so at present the A64 is classified as a "non-libre" processor. that
> > > it's the basis of the olimex laptop tells you everything you need to
> > > know.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2016-09/msg00080.html

How current projects based around free firmware on non x86 based machines still seem to be focusing on the 4-5 year old Allwinner A20 and haven't moved on to something newer is rather worrying. I really hope that new SBC from Asus with the same SoC as their C201 Chromebook supports FOSS firmware like their C201 Chromebook.
>>
>>58759268
>out of stock
Fucking phones suck all soc from useful things.
>>
>>58759268
>Open-source laptop
Guaranteed garbage

If it ain't Intel it ain't right.
>>
File: trash man.jpg (49KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
trash man.jpg
49KB, 600x800px
>>58759268
>Allwinner
>>
Is the memewinner confirmed botnet or is it just a meme?
>>
>>58759268
>exception
In to the trashcan it goes.
>>
>>58762074
Name one GPU from the past decade that doesn't require proprietary blobs to run. There have been GPUs with FOSS drivers available but those just load the proprietary blob firmware which does all of the actual work.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.