[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a master of SQL server, /g/? I feel like I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: sql-database.png (10KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
sql-database.png
10KB, 600x315px
How do I become a master of SQL server, /g/? I feel like I have reached the level of competence required by a standard level SQL admin but I'm struggling to distinguish myself from my peers.
>>
its not that hard
>>
>>58755534
Thank you for your insight. I'll remember you when I'm famous.
>>
>>58755562

your question is just simply retarded, my friend. You get really good at something by practicing and studying.
>>
>>58755589

Suggest a resource?
>>
What do SQL admins even do?
>>
>>58756412
I wonder this a lot, and we have a lot of them on my department at work. As best as I can tell they manually do a lot of repetitive shit that should be automated.
>>
>>58756412
Ideally have a deep knowledge of the rdbms they are working with and understand how to build queries and configure the database to properly scale.

Ideally they should know how to store data and understand the appropriate level of normalization of data as well.
>>
>>58756576
Also,
Despite what most people think, SQL is a shit language that fails at its principle duty as well; that is abstracting away the database implementation from factoring into performance. Many times without understanding the optimizer its difficult to write performant queries.

The DBA should be aware of such things.
>>
>>58756059
the internet
>>
>>58756603

I think all declarative languages are inherently shit. It's an insult to even call them a language. It's just queries.
>>
what rdbms? if its something small like MySQL, then there's no much to learn, if its something bigger like Oracle 1xg then there's a lot to learn, Oracle likes to make complicated but high performance stuff, they even made an special file system for their data sets.

Take a look at how to build procedures on PL/SQL an optimize query's in general, knowing how to normalize and de-normalize (and when too) its a must.
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>58758061
>MySQL
>not much to learn
Yeah only 7 storage engines, replication, stored functions/procedures, and a query language just as complicated as Oracle's.
>>
>>58758566
>Yeah only 7 storage engines, replication, stored functions/procedures

That's easy to learn and most of it applies to all RDBMS.

Really take a look at the installation procedure for Mysql, in windows you have your typical next, next, next... installer while in linux you just use the package manager then you run the setup script and you could slap phpMyAdmin on top with another command.

While the procedure for installing oracle 11g consist on a really long installer that even lets you save your choices to speed up multiple installations, running multiple root scrips, solving the dependencies manually, setting up the listeners and configuring the managing console.
>>
File: 152185-john-c-dvorak.jpg (23KB, 400x338px) Image search: [Google]
152185-john-c-dvorak.jpg
23KB, 400x338px
>>58759106
You're an idiot, like pic related. It takes years of study and experience to become a competent MySQL administrator, and usefully setting up things like replication is not easy in practice.
>>
>>58759249
>It takes years of study and experience to become a competent MySQL administrator

No, it takes a careful read to the official documentation and a test environment to play with.

Replication on MySQL its easy compared to Oracle, and that its because the first its just a dumbed down version of the later.
>>
>>58756412
performance
caching
backups
triggers
views
basically automate all your shit and keep an eye on it
>>
>>58759514
I've heard best practice is to not use triggers at all, and rely on your application to do all the queries explicitly.
>>
>>58759514

noob here, what is caching? the definition i read isnt clear to me. How does it work with a database?
>>
>>58755524
>mfw MySQL has no variable to define a limit of infinite (all rows) with an offset
the docs even literally say to just use an arbitrary large number, what the fuck is wrong with them
>>
>>58759561
You've heard wrong
>>
>>58759249
It doesn't take years at all for an experienced engineer. It's about working in environments where expertise is needed well beyond the basics, but it doesn't take years to learn. A couple of months at most in the right environments (both technical and social/company environment)
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.