[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learn Rust or C++?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Learn Rust or C++?
>>
>>58753167
Ada
Also kys
>>
>>58753167
Crystal
kys for considering SJW trash
>>
>>58753167
C++
>>
>>58753167
Depends on what you want.
If you just want to learn the language, because you're interested, then go for Rust. Compared to the ugliness and complexity of C++, Rust is much nicer to learn.
If you want to learn a language that's required for a lot of jobs, then go for C++. Rust hasn't caught on enough yet to replace C++ everywhere.
>>
Depends on what languages you already know.

http://www.suspectsemantics.com/blog/2017/01/26/setting-expectations-for-rusts-difficulty/

> C & C++ programmers. I would say “systems” programmers, but the phrase is too overloaded to be particularly meaningful in comparative programming language discussions. C & C++ programmers tend to appreciate the additional safety that Rust can provide, but at the same time seem to have an expectation that Rust will be easier for them than it actually is. While it is true that Rust offers the same degree of performance that these two languages offer, and that it has (largely to avoid spending the weirdness budget frivolously) syntax similar to C, it is in reality a language of a substantial degree of difference. I think C and C++ programmers, in general, do not expect this, and are thus frustrated when Rust turns out to be harder than expected.
>Ruby, Python, Java, and other garbage collected imperative / OO languages. Programmers coming from these languages tend to like that Rust is faster, and appreciate the functional-like features it brings (functional or functional-like programming becoming hotter in these circles). For some, Rust feels like the first low-level programming language that they can understand. It opens up domains that may have otherwise been inaccessible, and feels generally empowering.
>Haskell, OCaml, and other functional languages. These programmers appreciate Rust for the performance and power of it, while feeling comfortable with the design ideas that Rust has blatantly stolen from them. Rust’s original compiler was written in OCaml, and the influence of the language remains in some places. Rust’s trait system is essentially a copy of Haskell’s typeclass system (with some caveats).
>>
Why do people even ask questions like this, it's not like knowing one prevents you from knowing the other
>>
>>58753167
Rust won't make any sense to somebody who isn't already an experienced C++ dev, or a very experienced C dev with substantial exposure to large project with complex object lifetime management.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.