[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Microsoft release software for the Linuxs but Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (83KB, 1018x740px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
83KB, 1018x740px
Why does Microsoft release software for the Linuxs but Linux does not release software for Windows?
>>
Because Linux is not a person or company
>>
Another question is why the fuck is Microsoft on an overdrive about open source. First some minor, then a whole .NET core implementation. If they do WPF as well it'd be amazing.
>>
>>58748023
i think the last software where linus did actually contribute code to was subsurface and they indeed release for windows too ... and since you can install the ubuntu env into win10 latelly you could even say that the kernel can be installed into windows

so your retarded post actually is pants on head retarded and you should kill yourself just so you dont waste anymore of anything in this universe
>>
>>58748023
is fun to note that both organizations have the same reason.
>>
>>58748056
Is the Linux shizophrenic?
>>
>>58748023
linux doesn't even have something good for itself, leave others aside.
>>
>>58748105

git was compiled for windows since day 1.

and it was his favorite project.

he liked coding it himself.
>>
>>58748076
Times are changing. It's nearly impossible to write software these days without relying on open source software. Microsoft tried to scare people away from linux & OSS with their "licensing virus" bullshit but people don't belive in that anymore.

These days their strategy is to lure you in by telling how everything works on linux and macOS without rewriting a single line of code. Everything works fine at first but sooner or later you'll start running into weird corner cases that require OS-specific bug fixes. These start popping up one after another untill you finally give up and recommend your users to install windows for best user experience.

>>58748135
>git was compiled for windows since day 1.
Really? It's hard to belive considering how hard git is to use on windows these days.
>>
>>58748218
>Really? It's hard to belive considering how hard git is to use on windows these days.

It's just a console application, or at least it was. Linus wrote it at first because the others were slow as shit. Even if his first compile wasn't on Windows (he uses Fedora, /tips), any old moron could just compile it targeted to Windows with minor modifications like directory names.
>>
>>58748023
Because it's always playing catch-up?
>>
>>58748023
>suggesting many ports aren't primarily developed on Linux
>>
>>58748023
Linux isn't a company, it's a kernel that people combine with other software to form an operating system. Some of this software is available for Windows, Emacs and wget for example, and some isn't.
>>
>>58748023
>Why doesen't windows release stuff on the Linux foundation
>>
>>58748331
Well, I've tried it myself and there are basically three options:
>use a varely working GUI developed by some freetard with no experience on UX design
>use the same git wrapped underneath powershell layer
>just install the bash on windows kit and use apt-get to install git on it
Ended up doing the third one and even that feels like shit. Accessing windows folders through /mnt/drive/ with case-sensitive names and no tab completion is a pain in the ass
>>
>>58748428
What? If you download the latest git from git-scm there's an option to install git bash on windows, it gives you exactly the same experience you'd get on Linux. There are a ton of guis for all platforms, but most people really shouldn't need to use them.
>>
>>58748076
It is their old "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" strategy.
Microsoft has realized that GNU/Linux is their real threat. The year of Linux desktop will come. This is their desperate attempt at trying to stay relevant.
>>
>>58748428
git extensions works fine
>>
>>58748524
>desktop
Meh, normalfags never will get on linux.
>>
>>58748023
>not using NetBeans for all coding
kys winfag
>>
>>58748023
the thing isn't about GNU/Linux people not building their software for NT based systems.
Micro$oft just decided that they need to re-create the software and then sell it.
>>
File: 1435586581498.png (2MB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1435586581498.png
2MB, 803x688px
>>58748524

>year of linux desktop
>>
>>58748524
>>58748642
>>58751297

Are you all three stupid? Linux is on Android. It might expand further into similar semi-proprietary setups when the hardware becomes better.

My basic Epson printer I bought two years ago, turns out it runs linux when I extracted its firmware tarball, I shit you not.
>>
>>58748023
>quality_bait.bmp
>>
>>58751323
Linux happening to be used as the backend on Android is utterly irrelevant to YotLD.

You might as well try to say that iPhones' and PS3s' popularity is a precipitation of a Unix renaissance
>>
>>58751323

Nigga if Apple couldn't beat Windows with their pretty much infinite budget, how can Linux stand a chance, windows is simply to rooted in the whole industry and everyday life, changing it will never be viable economic decision
>>
>>58751477

Do you even understand what a backend usually is? This is not just a console executable to frontend it with a gui, it's the fucking kernel of the OS and it's on the GPL. Anything that runs on it can very easily, without much expertise from the big boys, run anything that linux can run.
>>
>>58751487

Linux does not fight for its life. Others fight for it. Google is the right example with Android.

Most people don't understand how extremely important Android is for Linux.

It does not mean "Google tapped it", it means hardware than runs all linux types.
>>
I don't know, but the more I hear about this Linux guy, the less I like him.
>>
>>58751585
I still fail to see the implications of
Android happening to use the Linux kernel
with regards to the adoption of Linux on the desktop/ for gaming/office stuff

Android applications don't even run on Linux. They run on Android, and Android only.
>>
>>58748023
well you're free to port it to your system, unlike internet explorer/edge and microsoft office
>>
>>58751662

filand is less rich without him
>>
>>58751683
>I still fail to see the implications

The hardware is identical and the execution code of the OS is identical. Therefore anything Android can run natively Linux can run natively. Anything Android caused Microsoft to do for the Android on native code, is an extremely good advantage to Linux.
>>
>>58748076
Microsoft heads realized that they can't beat Linux because they're fighting their customers. They'll transition to a general productivity software company so they don't depend entirely on the Windows kernel. It's a very smart move considering how many fronts they've lost on so far.
>>
>>58751662
He and this Ubuntu character I keep hearing about sound like bad news!
>>
>>58751938

Linux/Ubunto 2020 trumpcucks
>>
>>58751838
>The hardware is identical
>ARM SOCs with manufacturer-provided NDA'd drivers to Google are analagous to desktop in any way
>the execution of the code is identical
Android is portable because the programs aren't Linux programs, they're special Android bytecode
>Therefore anything Android can run natively Linux can run natively.
L M A O
Running a literal virtual machine, or a Chrome addon (that does the same transpiling JIT VM thingie that Android does) is the only way to have Android apps on a PC.
(And neither of those work more effectively on Linux!)
>>
>>58753858

I know of the vm, the argument was very broad, in general if linux does great even on the android its a great help to linux.

It's not a coincidence Torvalds loves to say in his speeches that Android is a fork of his kernel.
>>
>>58748023
I think you might be clinically retarded
>>
>>58748110
When I checked last time kernel was pretty sane.
>>
>>58748023
first gib something of value you faggots
>>
>>58748023
Because Win10 supports linux programs and even programs that utilize X
>>
>>58754154
You can't even edit linux files. What's the point?
>>
File: frustration_fault.jpg (3MB, 3000x1401px) Image search: [Google]
frustration_fault.jpg
3MB, 3000x1401px
>>58748023
Embrace, extend, and exterminate
>>
File: 1485906787016.jpg (294KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
1485906787016.jpg
294KB, 396x594px
>>58748023
I'll take the b8
>git
>vim
>libre office
>emacs
>bash
>apache
etc.
>>
I'm using LMMS on my Windows 10 machine right now. It's a Linux program that also has a Windows version now.
>>
>>58748023
They release purposely crippled software to try to force you into using windows, whereas linux software work at full capacity on windows (either through the ubuntu ecosystem, cygwin, or natively).
>>
>>58756147
>full capacity
>wsl
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.