[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you need 1000w?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: RM1000_sideview_B.png (461KB, 750x542px) Image search: [Google]
RM1000_sideview_B.png
461KB, 750x542px
Why do you need 1000w?
>>
>>58747680
have 2 gpus, 2 hdds, an ssd and might get more in future.. and because i aint poor
>>
Dual systems or 3-4 way SLI/crossfire.
>>
To power your 5% performance increase
>>
>>58747689
lol im running 2 1080s overclocked on a 500w anyone buying 1000w is a cucksumer
>>
To cook ramen
>>
You don't. These PSUs are for idiots who think bigger numbers = better.

Extreme overrclockers who could potentially use that kind of power wouldn't buy trash like the RM series.
>>
>>58747705
>I've never heard about FuryX/390x CF 600w housefires
Just kidding it's stupid
>>
>>58747705
>what is amd
>>
It's funny because PCs need less and less power and PSU manufacturers keep putting out models with more and more wattage.
>>
>>58747680
Nobody needs an assault PSU

>>58747799
And these PSU companies have figures on what sells the most. Companies making a wide range of products isn't a bad thing and if it is an issue for you then maybe stick with Apple.

Of course most people don't need a 1000W PSU but if someone is running dual Titans, an i7 and a couple Storage devices in RAID then it's good to not have to buy some server-grade shit or makeshift your own.
>>
>>58747689
my desktop has 6 hdd's in it and i am poor
>>
Mainly for 2 modest-to-high_end GPUs (if you have 2 extremely high end ones, it might be barely low for it). It's good though even for a one good GPU because you really don't want to be even the limit long term. Then again for 2 very high burners like the latest NVIDIAs I would go like 1200 at least because those montherfuckers can easily increase performance by just selling bigger dies which cost more in money and power consumption so don't trust 1000 easily unless your GPU is 1 or 2x but relatively modest.
>>
>>58747680
simple - these ones switch the fan off when they're not under heavy load. maximum power draw for my system is about 600w so the psu is always silent
>>
>>58747799

The main problem is that we can't shrink the transistor that easily anymore and even when we do shrink it it doesn't become that much faster anymore. As a result NVIDIA and AMD create the illusion of better technology, but it's not really better technology, it's just much bigger dies which cost more in money and power.

In the 90s for instance we saw almost double the performance and doubling of transistors without much extra cost, per YEAR.

Now, it's like +1% on CPUs and for GPUs it would be similar if only it wasn't that they can also parallelize easily but for more $$.
>>
It's important to note that the CPU plays an important role and it depends A LOT on the particular software. For instance, some games can only use 1 thread properly (it's not their fault, it's extremely hard to do it effectively on interactive(non-offline) applications and for those you might see only like up to 40W use, and even a lot lower if you VSYNC *because games are often governed by a global loop based on their FPS itself.

In contrast, a game that can use all the cores to their full capacity (if they do it efficiently is another question) then you can easily go to things like 100W or even much more in some cases (and depended on the CPU or overclocking).

So you can have situations that one modern game on 2 good GPUs might be fine on 800W but another modern game to need the 1000W easily or more in some cases.
>>
Nobody is gonna mention what a cancer Corsair is? They just buy OEMs and stick their label on them, they themselves are BOX MAKERS *(literally, they made a box, and put OEM). Albeit, even if they are good OEMs, go buy the actual OEM and don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>58747680
To welding thin steel
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.