[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ im teaching myself java and im wondering if i should get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1473135223795.jpg (46KB, 460x439px) Image search: [Google]
1473135223795.jpg
46KB, 460x439px
/g/ im teaching myself java and im wondering if i should get a separate laptop just to code with? i have a laptop but i dj with that one so its pretty bogged down with music. is the normal thing people do? get a specific laptop for coding?
>>
If you have money to blow on an extra laptop then go for it. Here's what I do though

>download virtualbox
>download an iso of your favorite flavor of Linux (Ubuntu is good if you're new to linux)
>set up a virtual machine with at least 20 gb of disk space
>start programming, install whatever you want without worrying about messing up your computer
>>
>>58746482
never thought about that! if i do decide to go the route of getting another latpop is there any hardware specs i should get? i dont think coding is hardware intensive but i have very limited knowledge.
>>
>>58746502
If your DJ laptop has some space left (20 GB) and is relatively powerful, then you should absolutely go for the VirtualBox approach. I do the same.

If you really want a laptop that's comfortable for programming and will last a while, then go for anything in the $600 to $800 range. Most people on /g/ will recommend Lenovo ThinkPads of some flavor, personally I liked the IdeaPad series more. You'll have to decide and do some research on your own, though. You will probably be wiping it anyway to install Linux on it (Ubuntu is good, Linux Mint (Cinnamon) is more visually familiar when you come from a Windows environment). You don't really need a great graphics card. Just a comfortable keyboard, a screen that isn't too small (glossy or matte is an important decision, but entirely your own) and a good processor. An i5 will be enough.
>>
>>58746445
Also if you're a Java person and you decide on programming on Linux (you could do it on Windows just as well, especially when you're just starting out), then take this link to heart:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install-oracle-java-8-in-ubuntu-via-ppa.html

Bookmark it and when you have problems with the openjdk (pre-installed on Linux), you can always switch to this.
>>
File: 1455421330697.jpg (1MB, 1394x1374px) Image search: [Google]
1455421330697.jpg
1MB, 1394x1374px
>>58746548
kinda off the topic of laptops but is it better to learn to code on other operating systems like ubuntu as opposed to windows?
>>
File: ddjsz.jpg (81KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
ddjsz.jpg
81KB, 612x612px
>>58746562
thanks for the link! does programming on linux just give me more freedom as opposed to windows? i already installed jdk on my desktop.
>>
>>58746564
Linux is made by and for developers. There's a bit of a learning curve compared to Windows, but once your comfortable its usually easier to work in Linux unless you require Windows (like programming in c#)

As far as laptop specs, when I was buying my dev laptop the specs that mattered to me most were:
>good keyboard
>good battery life
>sharp screen
Modern processors are very much powerful enough to run compilers and such with ease. And if you get 8gb of ram and an ssd you're golden
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.