[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shit machine/hardware minimalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Libretto50CT_Vs_EEE701_c.jpg (170KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Libretto50CT_Vs_EEE701_c.jpg
170KB, 1600x1200px
Has anyone here ever tried to see how shitty of hardware they could make do with to accomplish their everyday wants/needs without issues? I see talk here about minimalist software, but how many posters try to see how far they can go with minimal hardware?
>>
File: 1000cx.jpg (583KB, 1280x960px)
1000cx.jpg
583KB, 1280x960px
whatever with the with the meekest specs that can act as a terminal and ssh/telnet/dial in/serial link to a server is kind of cheating, i guess, since it's not *really* running stuff native. but i think that's the best way of getting use out of the reeeally old shit

that aside, the hp dos palmtops with mtcp can wget, ftp, irc, telnet, and there is a real mode lynx build out there. won't be encrypted, obviously
>>
I'm going to try stack a raspberry Pi cluster instead of buying a real server, or a pc to act as a server.
>>
I make do with an old thinkpad. No accessories to speak of except the charger ofc. It's the only tech in my house. Downside is that I have to pay Verizon for my 4g card to avoid an ugly router and cable invasion.
>>
>>58742541
I had a 128mb ram, 800 mhz, bareboard thin client i did nes development on

Had no case or anything. Was cool
>>
>>58744180
How'd that go?
>>
File: NX9010__13699_zoom.jpg (603KB, 1000x1110px) Image search: [Google]
NX9010__13699_zoom.jpg
603KB, 1000x1110px
I own one of these with Puppy GNU/Linux installed on it. I use it to shitpost from work (I'm a security guard) at night and it works pretty well. It can't handle opening more than one script-heavy web page though. That and it struggles even with 480p video. But for what it does, it does pretty well even with its Pentium 4 processor and it's 512mb of RAM.
>>
my main rig is a core 2 duo with 2gib ram and i can play csgo/tf2 alright
>>
>>58745235
>even with its Pentium 4 processor
Any more details? I have a netbook with an 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 and it can handle 480p video in VLC even with the processor down clocked to 800 MHz and 512 MB of RAM. I don't think 6 years would make that much of a difference considering the Atom N270's 2.5 W TDP.
>>
>>58745235

Yep a have a few "spare" laptops just in case of theft, flood, FBI etc...

About 1.6gGhz 512mb RAM running linux mint XFCE is about my limit in terms of basic shitposting and browsing being tolerable - just barely.
>>
File: DE and WM comparison.png (32KB, 698x690px) Image search: [Google]
DE and WM comparison.png
32KB, 698x690px
>>58745235
>>58745384
Decided to look up the model of the laptop in the picture, the weakest Pentium 4 processor is clocked at 2 GHz and should be able to do anything the Atom N270 in my netbook can do.

>>58745481
You could try something that uses a bit less RAM than XFCE.
>>
>>58745481
>>58745520
I should specify that the picture is ranking them based on RAM usage, though it's a bit old and I think RAM usage has increased.
>>
>>58742541
Actually this year I switched to using an old but upgraded Thinkpad X40 for much of my daily activities. Running Debian and XFCE on it.

With the new Chinese extended battery packs available for $35 or so I get a good 8-10 hours battery with Wifi on, maybe 14 with it off.

I wanted something small and minimalistic with no hardware backdoors and this thing came up mint for $18 so I bought it. I replaced the Wifi card and put an SSD in and maxed the RAM. So far it's comfy for shitposting, watching Youtube (at 144p but I can rip the video with youtube-dl and play it in full resolution, even HD, without issues), it plays Dwarf Fortress and Quake 3 just fine, and I expect it will also play Half Life 2 without problems at lower settings. I'm actually getting pretty good at using the clit to play Quake 3.

Anything older and you'd not be able to surf the web without extreme pain. Noscript helps a lot, I can cut down the amount of JS running to a minimum, so it's quite speedy enough for my needs.

Compiling the kernel took like 6 hours though LOL.
>>
Forgot pic, mine looks identical, I took the fucking stickers off like the person who took this photo did.

People ask me about it all the time actually. I think folks miss higher-quality laptops with real non-chicklet keyboards even if they don't quite know it.
>>
File: 1121063-2.jpg (162KB, 2100x1505px) Image search: [Google]
1121063-2.jpg
162KB, 2100x1505px
fuck here's the pic
>>
I've used a 100 dollar chrome book with Crouton + Lubuntu for years. It's comfy as hell to be honest.

I also have a couple old raspberry pi's that I use as local servers. It's pretty gud
>>
>>58742541
I could fully switch to my 550 Mhz PowerBook G4 (9.2.2/10.4.11 dualboot) if i wanted to. I daily drove a dual 450 G4 tower up until 2013.
>>
File: q700.jpg (418KB, 3264x1629px) Image search: [Google]
q700.jpg
418KB, 3264x1629px
I put this shitbox to work making shitty astronomical models in Mathematica, testing web pages for compatibility with destitute browsers, acting as a console to my server and playing solitaire mostly. Had a lot of use left in it for a 25-year-old system. I only swapped it out because I had new, more compatible toys to mess with.

The shittiest hardware I can probably survive with for most of my day-to-day activities though is Pentium Pro-class gear. I did quite a bit of shitposting, wiki surfing and other general use tasks with my dual 200 MHz box.
>>
>>58746632
The Quadra 700 is a hell of a machine, I gave three away when I moved. I had gotten them at the university surplus store for $20 a pop.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.