[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Go or Elixir?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hey anon,

should i learn go or elixir? Always jumped around between different languages. But this summer i want to take a book and dive into language to REALLY learn it.

Rust seems to unfinished and its future seems unstable. Also no great books till now.

C/C++/C#: Probably overkill for me, since i dont really need low-level programming for my kind of tasks.

JVM-based: Already got into Clojure (wrote some small things in Lisp before) and it was nice. But i kinda want more.
>>
Till now? Did Rust get a new book?
>>
>>58739482
Not that i know. I simply dont want to learn a language again without a proper guide. I already wrote some things one or two years ago in go with the gopl book. But with my missing programmer-background i simply didnt get some concepts and wrote clunky code. Also i got anoyed by the GOPATH. If i would choose go again, i would go with another book with more exercises etc.
>>
>>58739462
try haskell
>>
>>58739462
>C/C++/C#: Probably overkill for me, since i dont really need low-level programming for my kind of tasks.

C# is not low-level at all. Think Java, but more comfy.
>>
>>58739612
Yes, yes. Was a stupid idea to combine them. Still i am not really interested in C# since i mainly use Linux and am not really interested in diving into C#. Dunno why.
>>
>>58739462
Give this a read
https://blog.bradfieldcs.com/in-2017-learn-every-language-59b11f68eee

>>58739851
>i am not really interested in C# since i mainly use Linux
Look up mono, if you want to.
>>
>>58739462
It depends. Golang has more traditional thread control and is easy if you have a lot of experience with C.

Elixir seems interesting, and seems more like what you're used to. Also FP

Depends on what you'd rather learn: Traditional multithreading paradigms, or functional programming.
>>
>>58739462
>Rust's future seems unstable
>so I'm thinking Elixir
wat
>>
>>58739462
Rust.
/thread
>>
If you ever want to be employed you should try learning ocaml, scala and f#. They pair well with c, java and c#. Elixr is just hipster trash.
>>
>>58739462
I don't believe you should learn a language just for the sake of it. If you have a project idea and you want to write it in a new language because it's better for the job then that makes more sense.

For back end you can't go wrong with Go. If you want to stick to functional then learn Elixir. If you want to learn the next big thing in the frontend space then I highly recommend Dart.
>>
>>58739851
>>58740777
Also .NET Core and .NET Standard 2.0 will solve that gap.
C# is ultra comfy, I know C/C++, Java, Scala, Scheme, VB, PHP, a little bit of Python, a very small bit of Go, tried to learn Elixir/F# but didn't have enough time and still C# is my favorite.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.