[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop recs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

So I have a 2010 model MacBook Pro, and am thinking about getting either a ThinkPad X1 Carbon, T460s, or Dell XPS Developer Edition. I'd like something good for development, but also as a math student, so I'm trying to decide if the touch display or 2-in-1 hybrid model would be worth it. I'm interested in running or dual booting Linux as well. Or should I just get another MacBook? Thoughts?
>>
>for development

Go with the 2015 MBP since you're probably already comfortable with MacOS
Touch screen laptops are a fucking meme
>>
>>58739013
Why the fuck would you need the touch screen on a fucking laptop?
>>
>>58739041
>>58739044
The touch screen idea is mostly for taking notes,as a lot of my classmates do that.
>>
Assuming you don't want to get into numerical analysis, you don't need a laptop for mathematics. For developement a $1500 is hilariously overprived. Just get an X220 and be done with it.
>>
>>58739013
Dude from one math student to another. Get yourself a refurbished Macbook Pro 2015. When working with CAS software and various other programs for development you can't go wrong with macs.
>>
File: IMG_20170131_214856.jpg (79KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170131_214856.jpg
79KB, 600x800px
>>58739069
>taking notes
Then touchscreens is absolutely a meme.
It is slower than pen/paper, much more expensive and much more distracting.
The idea is that you can easily access your notes, but this is not why you take notes.
You take notes primarily to focus on the words that are said, so you commit them to memory.
You would rarely need to look at notes you have written down.

What you should do is buy a pair of good pens.
Then you buy a pair of spiral backs for each subject you may have in a semester.
Then go to the school printer, take an amount of blank paper and insert them in the spirals.
This gives you a good sense of order and you can easily throw away pages with no notes or bad notes, move pages when you get home, should you forget to bring the correct book etc.

You should then set aside some time each week for organizing these books.
Eg, rewrite the notes in latex or something so they are easier to access should you use them in a report or something.
When you reach the exams, you have refined the notes so you can easily make a list of topics you should know about.
Some professors gives such lists, but you cannot expect everyone to do so.
Then for each point, you can formulate what relevant questions there could be and you can then answer them.

Pic related, the spiral back I personally use.
They are about $2 including the plastic front.
>>
>>58739342
this is probably the most intelligent post there has been been made on /g/ since the beginning of 2017
>>
>>58739565
People often overlook simple solutions just because there is new technology that almost does the same thing.
I tried it myself for a short amount of time, but while new and fancy, it doesn't work well enough.
you make more mistakes when drawing on a glass plate, you get distracted more often and you waste time.
Your professor will not stop and wait while you sort out some nonsense on your tablet and you will find yourself spending more time writing notes than you do asking questions.
If I knew this when I was starting out, I would be much further ahead than I am today.
>>
File: 1476042817327.png (137KB, 636x727px) Image search: [Google]
1476042817327.png
137KB, 636x727px
>>58739041
>2015 MBP
>throttling housefire piece of shit

Even Acer is better.
>>
>>58739970
>You know for someone that is a math student like OP I highly doubt he will use too much horsepower even intense CAS sections, which even my old t420 can do with ease.
>>
>>58740131
Then he can save $2000 and get a T420 and a new battery.
>>
>>58739813
You are 100 % right. Writing on paper will always be the best thing to do, however one thing to keep in mind is that scanning them to the computer takes too much time. I guess Wacom's solution is a good solution, but still a kind of pain in the ass at times.
Though, paper is still the best way to take notes in class.
>>
>>58740153
It can do it with ease, but if I were to choose between buying a Macbook Pro or T420 in 2011 I would have bought Apple's laptop. The OS is unlike else to use, and the build quality is still the best on the market.
>>
>>58740248
>throttling housefire
>build quality
>>
>>58740221
I never scan my notes.
I set aside about an hour each week where I go through them and write it down on my computer (or at least what I find relevant).
If I do this every week, I do not have trouble recalling what went on in a specific class and I can use the notes I have written.
Some times I have to illustrate or write some equation, maybe a wacom tablet would be good for that, but now I just write the equation in latex so I have it there, scan the image if it is that complex, but most often this is not needed as I have the notes gathered in an accessible location.

When I come across some term I cannot recall, I can simply grep in my notes directory and I can find the definition and when we learned about it.
I do not need more than that during the semester, it is mostly to prepare for exams.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.