[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electricity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 5366-ssan.jpg (18KB, 314x224px) Image search: [Google]
5366-ssan.jpg
18KB, 314x224px
My shitty apartment has a 20A outlet that is supposed to be used with the heater and AC. I don't use the unit provided heater because it's 4,000W but somehow doesn't heat the room well.

I'm tired of tripping the breaker because I forgot to turn off the heater before turning on the vacuum, so I want to use the dedicated 20A outlet. Can I just buy a 15Ato20A adapter and plug my space heater into the 20A outlet?
>>
>>58739000
I don't see any reason why not. Do the 15 and 20 have different port types of does the adapter decrease the amps?
>>
the different prong shape is meant to prevent idiots from plugging in 20A devices into a 15A socket.

15A into 20A is fine. just get an adapter.
>>
>>58739117
I can't imagine a 15A to 20A adapter would do anything but physically change the prongs.
>>58739232
That's what I thought. Was confused because the cocksmurf landlord had an only 20A outlet installed instead of the 15/20A ones I've seen before with horizontal and vertical slots.

Thanks.
>>
Test your board. You'll probably find there are two circuits running. Put your high amperage devices across the two evenly.
>>
>>58739000
Get a storage heater.
>000
Wasted!
>>
>will I increase my available current by 5A if i add more resistance but it will be different shape?
American """""""”""""""""""""""""""""""""'education"""""""""""""""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>>
>>58740167
try again
>>
>>58739000
Can't you just replace the fuse? My grandfather replaced all his fuses with nails.
>>
>>58740167
That's not what I was asking.
>>
>>58740240
your grandfather was not a smart man
>>
>>58740257
He was, just not a sane one.
>>
>4,000W

Dumb american.
>>
>>58740827
nvm I forgot that you use 240v for your washing machines etc.

still dumb americans for not using 240v for everything.
>>
>>58740891
the fuck, do they unironically have two different voltages on their houses?
>>
File: Split_phase2.png (3KB, 329x117px) Image search: [Google]
Split_phase2.png
3KB, 329x117px
>>58741020
I think this is what they use.

Still requires more wiring than our dank european system just to get 240v.

Our two-phase connector is only for industrial applications generally.
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 259x195px
>>58739000
Electrician here, 20 amp outlet should be fine your vacuum is only going to pull what it needs. These plugs are common in kitchens for newer homes if your comertable changing the receptacle you could buy one for like $5-$10 it's a called a 5- 20r in Canada
>>
>>58741158
That is what we use but the common conductor isn't needed on a strictly 240 connection because it's a balanced load so it's only 2 conductors . If it's 120/240 like for a stove then you need a 3 conductors 2 hots and the common
>>
>>58739000
You can wire up whatever you like. 20A outlets are just 15A with 2 hot wires instead of 1.

>turn off power at the circuit breaker
>unscrew your outlet
>notice there are 4 wires
>label them
>cap one of the hot wires
>then take the other three wires
>connect them to a 15A outlet
>make sure the extra hot wire is capped properly!!!!!
>screw it back into the wall
>circuit breaker on
>>
>>58741332
A 20 a receptacle just has 12 gauge instead of 14 gauge wires it's still just a hot and a common
>>
>>58741207
why are they putting 20A outlets into kitchens nowadays?

I can understand the standard 30A for the range but what are people using now that pulls that much current?
>>
>>58742001
A kitchen uses the most breakers in your house we used to run a 3 wire conductor and have the receptacle split and share the common so each half of the receptacle has its own 15 amp breaker without tripping the breaker (ex if you ran a coffee maker and a toaster off the same plug this would draw allot of amps).

If the common breaks off (which is rare but can happen) you now have a series circuit so instead of getting 120v at each outlet you get voltage drop and constant amperage throughout (which may fry whatever you plug in) . If you wire your receptacles in 20a your using a two conductor 12 gauge one hot one neutral if you lose the neutral you won't have a complete circuit so the plug just won't work
>>
>>58742001
NEC requires 20A circuits in kitchens for small appliances like blenders, food processors, toasters/toaster ovens, etc
>>
>>58740827
Heater says 4000W. Electricity bill says the same.

Eat shit.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.