[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there still no viable competition to Windows for desktops?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: Windows.png (41KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
Windows.png
41KB, 800x799px
Linux never managed to convince enterprises and casual users.
Mac only targets the upper price segment.

So there is the same software running on most personal PCs.
>>
>>58733320
Linux devs didn't want to cater to retards. Apple just didn't think it was profitable enough to.
>>
>>58733320
I use Linux as my daily OS. I have kept a virtual machine of XP in case if I really need a windows software.

But these days I don't remember when was the last time I booted into it.
>>
>>58733320
Just a reminder that Google has banned employees from using Windows due to security concerns.

>http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Bans-Dropbox-Windows-Computers-Internally-390993.shtml

>https://www.ft.com/content/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a

>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7792685/Google-bans-Microsoft-Windows-on-office-computers.html

Not even the mother of all botnets wants your botnet, faggot.
>>
I think there is no good alternative for most engineering and science software on Linux at the moment. And Windows is also incredibly easy to use, much easier than any distro I've ever used.
>>
File: 1485810851660.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485810851660.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>58733320
Windows has perfected their formula over decades of experience. They had the sane idea of using .exe files, installers and making the OS as comfy as possible. Human nature is inherently lazy and complacent, we like things that are easy to use. Plus the industry provides proprietary drivers and support for Windows across the board, so that is one less thing to worry about.
>>
>>58733320
Because it's too hard (read: expensive) to get into that market.

Maintaining a desktop OS that just werks with all hardware combinations is hard.
>>
>>58733320
The biggest issue is software like Adobe, MS Office, some latest games do not run on Linux natively.

Also Linux doesn't have a proper polished GUI, unlike macos or windows. GUI is based on some ancient tech.
>>
>>58733320
>Why does the lowest common denominator system appeal to retards?

oh look it's that thread again
>>
>>58734026
>Also Linux doesn't have a proper polished GUI
Except it has multiple DEs and dozens of themes to choose from, unlike the systems you've mentioned where you're stuck with whatever the vendor gives you
>>
>>58734067
are you mentally incapable?
>>
>>58734102
No, I don't use Windows
>>
>>58733320
There is a viable competition to Windows for desktops.
There is no viable competition to Windows for retards who happen use desktop.
>>
File: O-RLY.jpg (20KB, 438x400px) Image search: [Google]
O-RLY.jpg
20KB, 438x400px
>>58733320
>Linux never managed to convince enterprises
>>
Computers come with Windows preinstalled.
Most normies dont give a fuck about the OS, which is why Chromebooks and Macs exist.
>>
>>58734067
That is a fucking lie you scumbag. X, alsa and grub exist in all DE's. What you are actually swapping is file manager and package managers. The illusion of choice but you are running the same kernel with the same drivers and tools underneath.

This multiple DE choice meme needs to die.
>>
>>58734419
>X, alsa and grub exist in all DE's
Wrong.
>>
>>58734419
>you are running the same kernel
Do you even proofread?
>>
>>58734419
>what is wayland
>what is slackware
>what is hurd

there is plenty of choice but the most important thing is that the possibility is always there, while on windows you have no such possibility even if you wanted to swap one of the components of the fully functioning system
>>
>>58734447
>Wayland
experimental, not mainstream

>Slackware
Only Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem is worth touching. Everything else is garbage, I have tried them all

>Hurd
Now you are just trolling.
>>
>>58734466
Okay, now list alternatives for:
- windows kernel
- windows compositor
- windows desktop environment
- windows audio stack
>>
>>58734475
You don't need alternatives because everything works perfectly on Windows. It can run games and software Linux can't. 95% of market share didn't come magically, people see the enormous potential of developing for Windows.
>>
>>58734494
lol

thanks for playing tho
>>
>>58733845
package managers and .apps are easier to use than installers
>>
>>58733326
Pretty much this
>>
>>58734545
Ok. Now go back to your console OS and leave the board for technically literate people
>>
>>58734475
Coroporations lock their spreadsheet drones into old OS versions. Like, most are still running Windows 7. They have lots of tools to control idiots. Network validators, Group policy, you name it.

So they are kind of locked in for a while at least regarding non power users.

That being said, I can see how Windows is losing momentum pretty fast even in corps. My bet: We will see a lot more corporate internal apps done in Electron and the like. Then it's pretty much good bye for Windows.
>>
>>58733385
>company with thousands of employees bans its employees from using the competition
>makes up an excuse for it
>>
>>58734067

This.

You can customise the shit out of most DE's, your argument is shit. Also KDE, Pantheon and even Gnome look way more polished than that fucking Windows 10 abomination.
>>
File: Monajat.png (34KB, 314x262px) Image search: [Google]
Monajat.png
34KB, 314x262px
Because only mudslime terrorists use Linux.

If you have nothing to hide, you use a normal OS.
>>
DirectX dependency in gaming and Microsoft aggressively lobbying against its current customers switching to alternatives are what keeps Linux from gaining more desktop visibility.
>>
>>58734605
kek, is chromeOS or android supposed to be a competition on desktop PC market?
>>
I wish Google would make a decent operating system for desktop to replace windows/macOS That isn't just a browser. They are making that fuscia kernel on GitHub that's open source. Nobody seems to be talking about it. I don't want it to be Android I mean a REAL desktop os that can have heavy stuff like gaming and professional apps. The only reason I use an iPhone is because I use a Mac because I stay away from Microshit.
>>
>>58735385
>he thinks it isn't about total control
>>
What happened to that Russian windows clone?
>>
>>58733326
>tfw too intelligent to make money
>>
>>58734499
>i have no counter argument
>lemme just say lol maybe he'll think that i'm right
>>
>>58735683
1 poo has been deposited in your loo
>>
File: 1359608594399.png (317KB, 651x597px) Image search: [Google]
1359608594399.png
317KB, 651x597px
ReactOS is our only hope but freetards will rater complain about normies not adopting linux than reconstructing the NT kernel
>>
I think linux and think pretentious hipster.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.