[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tethering+ad hoc to nigger rig a home internet network

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_23406-Sprint2067383597.jpg (24KB, 565x315px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23406-Sprint2067383597.jpg
24KB, 565x315px
Anyone on here have experience with using ad hoc networks?

I just moved to the middle of fucking nowhere and my only option for a traditional Internet connection is sattelite, but it's expensive and shitty compared to what I'm used to.

But I have Sprint as my mobile carrier, and therefore have unlimited mobile data each month.

What I'm wanting to do is activate a tablet with 4g, tether it to my desktop (using Easytether just to cover my tracks a little), and use the desktop as a wireless router for the rest of the house.

I have a pretty standard wireless card I put in the pc when I built it, don't remember the specifics but it cost probably about 30 bucks. Will something like that cut it as far as transmitting wireless around a 1600 Sq ft house, or will I need to get a more specialized card/dongle?

Anyone ever receive a strongly worded letter from their carrier for doing something like this?
>>
>>58730134
Bump
>>
Use a cheap ~$30 router for tethering. There are plenty of OpenWRT compatible Netgear routers, for example, that have a USB port and can tether. You might even have one already in a box.
>>
>>58730134
I've been tethering with Sprint for over a year now and I haven't been caught or sent any kind of letter
>>
I had like three weeks a few years ago where there was a bad ice storm and our internet was fucked, ended up tethering from my Sprint phone for most of that time.

They didn't send any letters, but they did start kicking me off of the 4G network at around 25GB used. Assuming the line doesn't need to get calls or texts, you can get around this by opening up the field technician menu and setting the cellular radio to LTE Only.

That menu opens on my phone (Nexus 5) by dialing *#*#4636#*#* , dunno if it's different for other phones.
>>
>>58730314
Cool, I didn't know you could do that. Sounds like a more practical solution.

>>58730368
>>58730342
Good to know, thanks
>>
>>58730417
It should also be heavily noted that for some reason for me my internet will cut out if I get a call, even if you don't answer it

I just like to pretend I'm on dialup or some shit
>>
>>58730434
I'm gonna get a tablet with a data plan. I need my phone too much to rely on it solely for this purpose, plus I have another person in the house who will want Internet access if I'm not at home.

Radio shack is so desperate to make a sale these days, I almost bet they'd give me a tablet for free if I bought an extra data plan for one.
>>
>>58730314
I have an AT&T and Time Warner router from previous places I've lived at that I've never bothered returning. Can they be used as generic routers?
>>
>>58730613
Probably not. Check if OpenWRT can be installed on them
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.