[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VM optimization?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: vb.jpg (257KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vb.jpg
257KB, 1280x720px
>be me
>install FreeBSD on VB
>1 core of FX 6300
>3GB RAM
>128 MB VRAM
>250 GB HDD
>mouse acceleration is too much and doesn't change when I try to change it
>screen is 4:3 and I can't change it
>1080p video stutters
>720p video stutters
>480p video stutters
>delete VM

Reading the documentation I realized that theres a Guest System Something that basically are like 'drivers' that make your VM work properly, but they're not available for FreeBSD. I'm thinking I can either install Windows (since it seems to be the main focus of VM) or Solaris (same company means they will work great together right?), and my only requirements are that the screen can be set to 1080p and that it can run smoothly and play 1080 video smoothly. Am I asking for too much out of a VM?
>>
Stop being a hew with your HW resources also use qemu
>>
>>58728065

>being a hew with your HW resources

Christ dude I'm giving it one whole core and 3 whole GB of RAm as well as the maximum VRAM that the VM allows me to. How the fuck am I being a jew? I'm spoiling the shit out of that VM giving it twice of what I should and the little shit still won't play 480p video properly for fucks sake.
>>
>>58728453
you'll need to install the virtualbox additions, not sure if they even make them for freebsd.
>>
>>58727906
you're lucky virtualbox didn't panic immediately
>>
>>58728453
>Christ dude I'm giving it one whole core and 3 whole GB of RAm as well as the maximum VRAM that the VM allows me to.
Except you're running it as a virtual machine. It doesn't have direct access to a whole core that gets dedicated to it, it has to get interpreted and managed by the VM software and your OS.
Also some BIOS settings fuck with VMs. Also you need host additions to make use of everything like video memory etc. Also I've run similarly specked systems natively with Win7 and frankly it chugged on 480p video too.
>>
perhaps because nobody is interested in the use case of a GUI on *BSD inside a VM.

Try running a headless BSD in a VM, properly configured.

Shit is lightweight and blazing fast.

If you want a GUI in a VM use linux or windows.
>>
>>58729978
>Also some BIOS settings fuck with VMs.
yes make sure VT-x is enabled in bios.
>>
>>58727906
>1 core FX-6300
>128MB RAM

Are you fucking high? You can't even play 480p on Windows XP with 128mb ram.

From your depth of knowledge, I doubt you managed to set up a window system on FreeBSD, so this must be a troll.
>>
>>58727906
Install some light weight debian distro since debian is best
>>
>>58730085
He said 128 vram, which is plenty for 1080p. His problem is the since core on the fx 6300. Thr same cpu, i had a ubuntu vm and had to give it 2 cores
>>
>>58727906
>AMD
>Virtualization
Heh. Try again with a real CPU, chipset, etc.
>>
>>58730085
Not OP, but I regularly watch 720p on a single core (for the entire system) of a Core2Duo at 800MHz. You've clearly never actually tried it.
>>
>>58730108
Amd reallyis horrible at all emulation. It plays games good though. One day i will replace my OCed 6300 with the newest i5k but i just dont need it.
>>
>>58730086

I run Debian, a Debian VM inside Debian would be weird; I'm not doing it.
>>
>>58730108
Even though it hurts to say, this Anon is right here
>>
>>58727906
But there are FreeBSD guest additions available. You are not trying to install guest additions on your host are you?
>>
>>58729978
>Hur dur what is hardware virtualisation
>>
>>58731318

I checked the documentation on supported guest systems in the VB page and it says that there are no guest additions for FreeBSD; also says it's only partially supported.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.