[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Internships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0027.gif (770KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0027.gif
770KB, 250x241px
How hard is it to get a software/networking internship in 2016/2017 /g/?
>Stories
>Experiences
>Problems
>>
Pajeets are gonna be kicked out, free jobs
>>
>>58722743
Software development intern at a large-ish company.

>apply online by filling in form
>they arrange a 'video interview' which was actually just me recording myself answering questions
>ask me to build a programmer to test my skills, file manipulation, took me a day or so
>go for in-person 'assessment day'
>4 of us there for 2 internships
>group exercise to see how we work as part of a team
>1 hour interview, grilled me on the code I submitted, this was pretty tough
>gave a 10min presentation on anything computing-related (I did distributed computing)
>called me a week later saying I got the job

Overall pretty long process but it was worth it. They pretty much started giving me real, non-bullshit work straight away so I actually learnt a ton.
>>
>>58723140
>thinks pajeets are limited to Muslims
>thinks non pajeets can work better or as well as pajeets
Keep dreaming
>>
>>58722743
My sophomore year i was unable to get one. however this year i got interview at all 5 places i applied to, and got two offers after two easy interviews.
so not hard at all.
>>
>>58722743

First internship, my Dad worked at the company (he was sales, not a developer) for 20+ years and I literally got a phone call "show up on this day" and that was it. Paid good and I learned a lot.

Second internship right before senior year at a company that does a lot of outside work with the Big 4. I had a 3 stage interview. First I had to answer some questions on Skype with an HR person. Second I went in for a fizzbuzz whiteboard interview. Third I sat down and they asked me about personal interests, life, see if I would fit in with their culture etc. I got the internship, not sure how many others I was competing against but they had 1 vacancy that summer so probably not much.
>>
>>58722743
I was a software intern a few summers ago and converted the internship into a job.

My experience:

> Thoroughly researched the company and actually used their software for several years
> ran into one of the company's project mangers at a professional conference
> we start talking about software
> I soft-pitch an idea to him for a project that will take about three months to complete
> "That sounds interesting anon, write it up and email it to me. My team doesn't have an intern yet this summer and your project is within our scope."
> Write up the proposal
> Email it to him with a cover letter and resume
> wait a week
> get internship

Later

> complete the project
> give a presentation on the project to the company's dev staff (which is a common capstone to an internship at that company)
> various principals are impressed
> get full time offer

tl;dr know people -> get them to like you -> get them to offer you an internship.
>>
>>58723316
Woah are you me? I'm a sophomore hoping for an internship at my Dad's company this summer. He works in sales as project manager and has for like 6 years. How helpful was yours, should I go for it? Only thing I'm hoping is that I can have time still because I'm trying to travel a decent amount over summer as well. Advice?
>>
>>58723480
OP Here, applying for internship at my girlfriends's dad's company (one of the big 5 telecom companies)
>>
How much experience and knowledge should I have before applying for internships?
>>
File: indian-dude.jpg (11KB, 200x233px) Image search: [Google]
indian-dude.jpg
11KB, 200x233px
>>58723140
>Pajeets leave
>So do your jobs

Pajeets are the lifeblood of the American tech industry. Either Pajeets come to America, or the jobs go to Pajeetland.
>>
Late bloomer here, I got into an internship after I finished my master's studies, everyone I attended classes with was already working for like 2 years.

>apply online
>2 weeks later get called when helping my dad at work (he's an electrician)
>show up for a technical interview
>had to bring my own laptop
>hr gal handed me a sheet of assignments
>mostly stuff checking my knowledge of OOP and TDD
>internship was for .NET but they let us use any language and use the internet
>fired up my Debian
>decided to use C++ since it was the only language I know well enough and I had gcc installed
>couldn't connect to the wifi
>forgot how to do basic shit
>spilled my spaghetti
>only managed to do like half of the tasks
>2 weeks later I got a call I got in

Internship was a lot of fun and chill as fuck. Assignments were piss easy and they let us go home if we finished earlier. I learned some useful TDD stuff there and some general .NET stuff. There was only one other intern, so we stuck together through it, played Mortal Kombat every lunch break.

2 months before I went for the internship, one guy I talked to a few times and shared my assignments with at the uni recommended me at the company where he worked in, where I already knew like 5 people. I went for the interview there for C++, only got one technical interview, got hired and I've been there for 4 months now. You're gonna make it OP, just put that ass to work.
>>
>>58724855
If you've ever finished a single project, go apply. One thing I regret is not starting as soon as possible, there's only so much you can learn on your own. If you get rejected, you can always try again in a couple of months and you'll know what to work on.
>>
>take "Business Speech" class required for my degree
>one of the assignments is to write a resume, submit it to a company, go to an interview, then write a review of yourself - what you did well, what you could improve, etc.

I thought I did super shitty during the interview but I got the job. I never would have thought that a speech class would have been so useful.
>>
>>58725794
I wish I had that.
>>
>>58722743
>networking

I guess this is harder as you can get experience with software by your own, but experience with network physical equipments, you cannot but anyway
>>
i got an email about a "brand ambassador" position. Each "shop" i complete they will pay me 17 dollars

what the fuck are they talking about?
>>
>>58723437
too much ass kissing if u ask me
>>
>>58722743
How do you anons look for job postings?
>>
>>58723243
What the hell? What company?

I would never put so much effort into a fucking internship.

How it went for me:
> Apply to sw engineering job
> have interview
> get hired with full salary
> start working
> make my first code commits two weeks later
>>
I have one and ive only been a programmer for a year but i did show strong urges to learn vim and the unix environment and i also am ok at networking
>>
>>58728725
How long was the period between you applying and them contacting you?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.