[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So did you read it, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 71cWa92TMyL.jpg (194KB, 931x1398px) Image search: [Google]
71cWa92TMyL.jpg
194KB, 931x1398px
So did you read it, /g/?
>>
>>58713050
Seriously, can someone explain the benefits of this book over just learning through building small projects? Will this bridge some important theoretical concepts that I won't get from googling shit everytime I'm stuck? It's pretty long and I'm trying to justify committing time to it.
>>
>>58713050
>Seriously, can someone explain the benefits of this book over just learning through building small projects? Will this bridge some important theoretical concepts that I won't get from googling shit everytime I'm stuck? It's pretty long and I'm trying to justify committing time to it.
KYS
>>
>>58713238
Fuck off faggot, I'm trying to better myself. I'm in third year accounting and it's fucking busy.
>>
File: 81gtKoapHFL.jpg (284KB, 1352x1701px) Image search: [Google]
81gtKoapHFL.jpg
284KB, 1352x1701px
No, I'm reading something more relevant.
>>
>>58713219

SICP is not recommended as a beginners tutorial by anybody who is at all serious about teaching programming these days. It's simply too low-level.

In addition, the language used is a historical curiosity whose homoiconicity properties make it perfect for the book (data is code is data), but it's not the kind of feature you can ever expect to run into in real-world programming languages.

The only reason anybody would actually recommend this text for beginners is if they're secretly hoping you fail. Save it for when you're already experienced and feel like enlightenment.
>>
>>58713050
>So did you read it, /g/?

I skimmed it a little bit recently. The order of topics makes it quite unsuitable for use in a standard computer science curriculum, and it's just pretty badly out of touch with the needs of most students.

For example, it starts right out in chapter 1 by jumping into recursion and recursive tree algorithms. A vast majority of computer science faculty know that you can't just walk into a class of first-year or second-year students and on the first week show the students how Ackermann's function works, and how to recursively calculate the nth Fibonacci number in log n time using a clever tree-walking approach. It's no surprise that the book is pretty much totally ignored by a vast majority of computer science departments.
>>
It's on my TODO list. I know it's great for programming theory and lambda calculus stuff related to the Church-Turing thesis, but I need to get stuff done. Most of that stuff isn't helped by pure theory and the stuff that is helped is better off being helped by applied maths.
>>
>>58713903
>TODO
When I see TODO in someone's program, does that mean they still have to do something, or is it a command?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.