[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hyperloop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9

File: hyperloop.png (481KB, 856x485px)
hyperloop.png
481KB, 856x485px
SpaceX is finally having their Hyperloop prototype competition - running 27 teams' vehicles through an evacuated 1km tube. Livestream starting imminently:

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop
>>
>>58710494
Nice
>>
it's insane that they're actually doing a vacuum tube - does anyone have any details on how they're doing it? most of the criticism of the hyperloop I saw came down to "how are you going to evacuate miles of tube", but I'd always assumed they would only evacuate the portion just ahead of the vehicle as it moves along...
>>
I'm tuned in, how many of y'all's watching?
>>
>>58710601

Okay turns out they just pump it all out as you might expect.. hmm
>>
File: openloop.png (634KB, 848x469px) Image search: [Google]
openloop.png
634KB, 848x469px
these pods are actually pretty impressive, i was expecting a lot more exposed metal... most of them have active maglev apparently, too
>>
i wonder what type of propulsion they will use and what level of vacuum they will pump it down to
>>
reddit has a team

but 4chan doesn't

oh well
>>
>>58710806

In case you missed it on the stream, the teams can ask for what pressure they want. I think a few of them are using compressors at the front of the pod, and others are using wheels. I haven't seen a whole lot just yet but they'll be showing videos from the previous week of testing and will hopefully go into more detail
>>
Elon's up!
>>
>>58710788
Which is a bit disappointing, as the original concept envisioned by Elon calls for the pods to travel on a cushion of air.

>It would also simultaneously solve another problem, which is how to create a low friction suspension system when traveling at over 700 mph. Wheels don’t work very well at that sort of speed, but a cushion of air does. Air bearings, which use the same basic principle as an air hockey table, have been demonstrated to work at speeds of Mach 1.1 with very low friction. In this case, however, it is the pod that is producing the air cushion, rather than the tube, as it is important to make the tube as low cost and simple as possible.

One of the team even uses bloody wheels.
>>
Tunnels!
>>
>>58710888

MIT used wheels, from what I could see, but I suppose they also need to get up to speed using wheels before air bearings start working...
>>
File: elon.png (611KB, 844x471px) Image search: [Google]
elon.png
611KB, 844x471px
kind of weird/cool to see casual-elon, he seems a lot more expressive
>>
>>58710494
This is so fucking retarded. Just build fucking high speed trains like the rest of the civilized world.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk
>>
>>58710988

it's the highest-speed train, really. what's the harm in this competition?
>>
>>58710999

I think this video's criticism is invalid in a few places, like "duh it's super hard to evacuate miles of tubes all at once" - yep, it is, but evacuation of miles of tube all at once isn't the plan... still, I'm all for skepticism and scrutiny
>>
>>58710999
>LA to SF in 35 mins

How is this worth it? A modern high speed rail could do that in less than to hours. The technology already exists. It's cheaper. It's safer. Am I missing something?
>>
There's a lot of downtime between each team... Guess having to evacuate the air from the tube each time they change pods isn't easy.
>>
>>58711084

That it's cheaper or safer remains to be seen, and that's partly why this competition's happening. It's not like tax dollars are already setting up the infrastructure for it, it's just some nerds testing ideas in case something cool happens - that's how progress works
>>
>>58711129
should have had double airlocks. so you only have a small amount to purge
>>
Why didn't you make a team representing 4chan?

I thought anons were smarter than normies
>>
File: AirFranceConcorde.jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
AirFranceConcorde.jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
>>58711030
Hasn't plane travel kinda proven that people really don't need super-fast bleeding edge transport but rather just fast and cheap? This is like building a Concorde on rails.
>>
>>58711180
Concorde was also prohibitively expensive and limited to a few transatlantic routes.

If hyperloop could bring the cost down to that of a equivalent train ticket or even plane ride, you bet your ass more people will use it.
>>
>>58711180

There are a lot of variables in play; a Hyperloop might have higher throughput, lesser maintenance requirement for both the track and infrastructure, lesser energy requirement (especially considering solar panelling along the track), greater autonomy, and low-emissions. With all the small cumulative benefits, it's possible that a Hyperloop would be faster and cheaper than train travel could ever be. I won't argue that it definitely is or will be, but I think it's cool to try it and see
>>
>>58711295
>I think it's cool to try it and see

I can agree with that.
>>
it's smart that they are designing the pods. thats the important part.

we KNOW how to make pipes. Oil companies have been doing it for a hundred years. the pipes are the easy part.

once a good pod design is accepted, it's really straightforward...
>>
So this 'Spacex Push' is essentially a Tesla in a tube?
>>
>>58710494
>muh hyperpoop
>muh eloon genius
>le 3000 miles long vacuumed tube meme

flying is superior faggots. deal with it.
>>
When do they start, and can we see inside of the tube when they go?
>>
>>58711180
they're trying to save the planet jackass
le concord puts out tons of carbon
>>
>>58711340
>we KNOW how to make pipes
*gun barrels thanks fuck for freedom land
>>
>>58711442
yeah. there are cameras every so often, and a graphic with the location and speed
>>
>>58711423

Weird how the mentality on /g/ is "wrong, the tech we have already is fine, stop wasting your time"

There's no two sides to this, it's just people making stuff move fast.. are you personally at a loss if hyperloop becomes a thing, or something?
>>
>>58711491
>are you personally at a loss if hyperloop becomes a thing, or something?

Yep, I'm about to take my pilot license in two months and I'm generally tired of this retarded tesla-spacex hype.

Elon is retarded copycat NOT innovator! God dammit the tard even could not create original name for his dumb car!
>>
>>58711623

right
>>
>>58711084
>It's cheaper
not unless you just evict people and steal their land
>>
>>58711684
>tunnels
>highway median

idiot
>>
>>58711140
>it's just some nerds testing ideas in case something cool happens

all the cool things are already created. these are just faggots with excellent PR and great media coverage.
>>
>>58711790

>>58711668
>>
>german team
>warr

hmmm...
>>
>>58711933

kek
>>
jesus just shave your head dude
>>
So wait.. how far does the pusher go with them? I thought it'd dropped off after 200m or so but they said "Pod now under its own power" when it was past half-way through...
>>
Germany finding ways to bring refugees into the country at a faster pace
>>
>>58711623
if he's not an innovator you have nothing to lose tho
>>
File: delft.png (596KB, 842x444px) Image search: [Google]
delft.png
596KB, 842x444px
Delft's pod looks cool - is that a scale interior?
>>
>>58710494
>no https on spacex site
what the fuck

i hate Elon Musk now
>>
>>58710601
>>58710765
It's not really a vacuum so much as it is "sparse atmosphere"

It doesn't need to be a perfect vacuum, it just needs to be a lot less air resistance than normal at sea level.
>>
>>58712447

The shop page has https, and otherwise there's no client I/O, so not a problem
>>
>>58712488
It'd work great on Mars.
>>
>>58711423
Train (now maglev) in an evacuated air tube has long been seen as interesting because the capacity, energy consumption and speed is cool.
>>
Damn that MIT FPV was pretty cool, much easier to see the levitation and actual speed.. from the other footage it looked like it hardly moved without the pusher
>>
Did I miss the hyper loop action?
>>
>>58712646

You missed two of the three runs happening today, but there'll be one more in around maybe 10-15 minutes. They have to depressurise the tube after they've put the pod in, which takes a while
>>
>>58711180
>Hasn't plane travel kinda proven that people really don't need super-fast bleeding edge transport but rather just fast and cheap?

When the fuck was the last time YOU traveled in a economy class seat on an airplane? Cheap is good, but I'm not a sardine.
>>
>depressurize the entire thing to have less air resistance
>they only go like 90 km/h
>>
Is this rehosted on twitch or YT?
>>
>>58712789
They want to make sure that it works at all
>>
So what's that rail in the middle
Are there any magnetic tracks or something in the tube, or just pure metal?
>>
>check back in 30-40 minutes guise
>>
Why do the test pods look so different from the concept art? Is there no need for the big fan at the front?
>>
>>58712815

They designed the tube to allow three types of propulsion/levitation:

- Steel plating along the bottom to allow pods to use maglev
- Steel rail in the middle for the dual purpose of keeping central/fixed, but also can be used for driving against
- Concrete at the edges to allow for rubber wheels
>>
>"30 minutes?!" - Little kid
>>
>>58712863
good, thanks
>>
Since it requires maglev, do you think they'll go a step further and integrate the hyperloops with superconducting transmission lines while simultaneously benefitting from improved maglev power efficiency at the same time?

Imagine a maglev line from california to new york that also doubles as more efficient power transmission across the entire route
>>
>>58712860

The concept art didn't have much technical design behind it, it was very much just concept art. It was always "up to the teams" to choose what tech they thought was best, since this is after all a competition to find the most successful approach. A lot of teams dropped the air compressor at the front for a few reasons, but mainly because they found better/cheaper/easier ways of propulsion and levitation.
>>
Why even bother making the pod all aerodynamic and smooth on the outside, if they're going into a vacuum anyway?
>>
>>58712789
It's also limited by the length of the track and how fast the pods can accelerate and stop.
>>
>>58712939
nig we can't make a perfect vacuum. It's better than not.
>>
>>58712863

(((Rubber)))
>>
RIP stream.
>>
>>58712965
Of course not, but it should make enough of a difference
>>
>>58712996
If there's no benefit from not, then there's no reason to.
>>58712990
still live here.
>>
https://twitter.com/MITHyperloop/status/825871420638978048

pretty nice view
>>
>>58713012
My god, it's full of stars
>>
>>58713012

thudthudthudthudthudthud

the lev needs work I think
>>
>>58713012
>>58713034
This
sounds like it's breaking out of there any moment
>>
please keep to one thread, this one was first:
>>58710489
>>
File: Sun Jan 29 19:21:49 2017.png (536KB, 846x473px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Jan 29 19:21:49 2017.png
536KB, 846x473px
I love the CA skyline
>>
They pulled it out again...
>>
>>58713047

It doesn't really matter, but the fact this one was created seconds later should be less important than the fact this one has more than twice the comments
>>
>>58713123
doesn't matter to me, I just don't like switching tabs constantly like a retard
>>
>it goes back out again
>>
>>58713175
Enable the fucking thread watcher, then.
>>
Any problems?
>>
>>58713186
And how does this fix the problem?
Also I have thread watcher enabled but I don't use it, because tree tabs + autoupdate it better
>>
>>58713211
It means you don't have to switch tabs, because you'll be told when there's something to read again. What are you saying?
>>
>>58713204

Getting dark, Delft seem to still have issues.. might not get a third run today
>>
File: Sun Jan 29 19:38:33 2017.png (32KB, 148x161px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Jan 29 19:38:33 2017.png
32KB, 148x161px
get ye gone golem
>>
>>58713204
>>58713251

Nm, literally as I submitted that they announced 40-45 mins until Delft's run, including compression
>>
>>
>>58713245
>because you'll be told when there's something to read again
but it's completely the same as current, where I have a tree of tabs open and have (1) on the tabs with new post
you are missing the problem which is having 2 threads with the same topic and having to repeat everything twice
>>
>Out AGAIN
>>
>>58713280
>>58712845
>>
File: 2017-01-29-19:46:14-scrot.png (163KB, 1366x747px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-29-19:46:14-scrot.png
163KB, 1366x747px
>>58713315
I have no idea how you are having this problem. I just click on the refresh.
>>
>>58713315
>having to repeat everything twice
then make up your mind and close a tab... it isnt that hard you fucking autist
>>
>>58713364
WHY THE FUCK WOULD I REFRESH A THREAD IF IT UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY EVERY 10 SECONDS

YOU FUCKING NIGGER RETARD LEARN TO READ AND KILL YOURSELF
>>
Some huge car is going behind it; another pod?
>>
>>58713377
It updates automatically, it just updates faster if you're bored and want to click it
Why are you so mad, I honestly don't know
>>
>>58713388

It's the 'pusher' - basically a modified Tesla that SpaceX made to get the pods up to speed. Once it gets them to 80kmph, it stops, and the pods carry on on their own
>>
>>58713395
I have allergy of retard
>>
>>58713409
If you wanted an autism-off, you're not going to find one
If you like switching tabs so much then keep at it
>>
>>58713034
>>58713044
What always amazes me are the idiots who come out of the woodworks to talk about minor issues like this as though it's a finished product and not R&D.

You see this same shit even if it's like, an artist drawing something. A professional artist draws a line and a guy goes, "but this looks like shit, it's just a line" before he's even put a second line on the paper.

Just amazes me. Every fucking time there are morons who do this, who are so fucking stupid they can't perceive the different between a work in progress and a finished product.
>>
>>58713496
isnt the point of R&D to point out flaws and fix them before going into the following stages of production?
>>
>>58713496
Did you even read the posts you replied to kek
>>
What the hell is going on right now
>>
Stephenson's Rocket was better than this shit
>>
>>58713549
They're depressurizing the tube
>>
>>58713407
I'm not sure why but the idea that a car can work in a near vacuum is amazing to me.
>>
>>58713521
Yes, but it's a gradual process. You build on what you have, and this is the first stage of R&D. Expect EVERY design to fail, and then use what you learned to make something better.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.