[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NAS Setups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: YouWontGetLaidWithGreenBubbles.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
YouWontGetLaidWithGreenBubbles.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
Tell me about your NAS setups /g/.

I am about to move house, and I am going to upgrade from a high capacity, non network attached hard drive I just have sat at my battle station that I plug into my various devices, to some network attached storage. Shit I might even fuck around with a RAID setup.

I am curious what other people use. Got any horror stories to share? Any brands/products you would steer well clear of?
>>
Seconding this. I have relevant needs.
>>
FreeNAS

Just build a machine with at least 8G ram and use decent HDDs. FreeNAS will boot/run from USB. You don't need or want a RAID controller - as ZFS needs direct access to each individual disk. Check out the different ZFS "RAID" levels and choose the one that suits your comfort level with drive failures - buy that many drives.

If you really want to do it right - see if you can get something reasonably priced that will do ECC RAM (this is recommended for ZFS).
>>
>>58707644

That really sounds like it is not cost effective compared to some out of the box solutions. What advantages do you think building your own purpose built solution would provide?
>>
>>58707962
On a custom built machine you could run a VPN or something on it if you are interested in that.
>>
>>58707962
For one "out of the box" NAS solutions are pretty damn expensive for the type of weak hardware you get in return.

That's not to say they're necessarily bad, however if you want other features or more capable hardware for cheaper building your own is advantageous.
>>
>>58707962

FreeNAS has a container system that allows you to run virtual machines or applications like plex directly on the server

The new version coming out soon uses docker containers and some other magic you can access the VM's and control them from the browser
>>
i have a freenas box with some drives in it with sickrage and transmission
>>
I've got Ubuntu server with a btrfs raid5 array. Technically unstable but has never given me trouble. Got 15 TB or so with redundancy.
>>
>>58708398

>technically unstable

Get on my level. I have 21TB running JBOD in a Windows Server box in the closet. It's all ReFS, non-redundant.
>>
>>58707644
Why 8Gb? For a bunch of raid 0/1 disks this sounds redundant.
>>
>>58709060

ZFS needs RAM. The more the better. ECC if you can do it. This is why I put "RAID" in quotation marks. It's ZFS's equivalent of RAID.
>>
>>58707119
A Lenovo PX4-300d, with 4x2TB disks in R5. Upgraded the RAM to 4GB. Saturates 1 Gbps when moving larger files with ease.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.