[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comcast gives you a pretty fucking shit modem when you are a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1483772303364.jpg (29KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1483772303364.jpg
29KB, 500x499px
Comcast gives you a pretty fucking shit modem when you are a user, and charge about $10 for it a month.
I have one, and I can't even access the settings for whatever reason. Can't change the IP either, which is needed sometimes.

Well anyways. What is a good modem and router that is compatible with Comcast?
>>
>>58706584
SB6183
>>
>>58706591
Is it both a modem and router?
>>
>>58706601
No, that's just a modem.
For a router get whatever TP-Link that's in your budget.
>>
>>58706664
Thanks mate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-AC1750-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router-2-4GHz-5GHz-802-11ac-/401001274989?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D58587a0ce4b0738973b2f343%26rpp_icid%3D586bec9ce4b0d7a350136615

Something like this looks quite good.

How easy would it be to set it up? Not plug and play I imagine.
>>
>>58706702
You need to call Comcast to activate the modem.
After that, power on your Router, plug a PC into it, and set it up. Then plug the modem into the router, turn on the modem, then turn on the router. Log into the router, and see that it has a connection, and then you are good to go.

That TP-Link is great, if you need better wireless coverage look into the C3150
>>
>>58706591
yeah, this is a good pick.

i'm a cheap bastard and just recently bought that modem's predecessor, the SB6141. i'd heard that comcast was EOLing the 6141 soon, but apparently not. anyway, if you just want a cheap modem to get you by, the 6141 can be had for $30 on ebay.
>>
>>58706804
If its EOL they wont activate it. You can probably still use it for years once you do.
I just upgraded from a SB6121 that was EOL for over a year, but it couldn't go over 105MB/s, so I needed to upgrade when I got a new plan.
>>
>>58706771
Sounds good, thanks a lot dude!
Do the instructions tell you how to sign in and shit?
Also I imagine that they need some type of code or something that is on the modem.
Another thing that I am wondering is whether the router can change the IP address.
>>
>>58706926
Instuction to setup the router? Its easy. Just power it on, and either connect to it wirelessly, or through the Ethernet and just go through the quick setup before you go online.
Set password, pick a wireless SSID, pick a password for that, etc.
Modem you need the MAC address, its a sticker on it, Comcast till walk you through that.
To reset your IP with Comcast you will need to power off the router, and modem. Disconnect the modem from the router, power it back on with a PC connected directly to it, and see if your IP address has changed.
Then you power it off, plug the router back in, and power both on. You should get a new IP address, but sometimes your router will stick with the old one so you just have to keep trying until it does.
>>
>>58706969
Thanks mate! You're the best. I bet you have gone through something similar with Comcast.

One thing that I noticed is that the SB6183 is around 686MB in speeds, and the router has gigabit speeds. Would that be a bottleneck or something? Not completely sure.
>>
>>58707034
I recommended the SB6183 cause its what I bought. It has room to grow. Their current line up only consists of 3 compatible modems with Comcast, SB6141, 6183, and 6190.

You need gigabit if you want to see speeds over 100MB/s. You have room to grow with that modem.
Unless you are buying Comcast gigabit internet speeds, you will be fine with that modem
What is your internet speed plan?
>>
File: Speed Test.png (21KB, 422x629px) Image search: [Google]
Speed Test.png
21KB, 422x629px
>>58707085
I think I am paying for 75 mbps. I don't think I am going to upgrade my internet speed for a while because I don't really need more.
>>
>>58707206
Does that include TV?
>>
>>58707222
Yes, I got a 12 month promo to get cheaper internet, it's the most basic channels. I don't watch the TV though, and I have Direct TV.
>>
>>58707253
I had that too, while it was more expensive initially, it would be cheaper later on than just internet after the rate increase.

Look into their 150 plan. They do not advertise it, but its there, and its only $90 per month before fees.

They had a rate increase this year. I was paying $99 a month for the 75+TV, and a $10 15mb boost. This year their rates increased in tv licensing fees and local broadcast taxes. At the same time the internet only 150 plan dropped from $130 to $90. In the end I'm paying almost the same as I paid before, but no TV shit which was all going up in price.

I would look into getting that unless your completely locked in. Also, let them know you have no interest in watching TV and return that cable box, or ask that they dont charge you for it.
>>
>>58708451
I see. I think I am gonna go with Internet alone. Every year though I always look to see if they have some type of promo, always ends up saving me quite a bit of money.

Soon I am gonna have to start looking into that because it should be expiring somewhat soon. Maybe a few more weeks.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.