[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: Tux.svg.png (569KB, 2000x2357px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.svg.png
569KB, 2000x2357px
I've used windows my whole life, I love windows and I'll keep using it, but i need to start using a linux OS cause some of my teachers from uni require it, i know nothing about linux, so I need some advice on which linux OS is better, I'm studying computer science engineering btw
>>
>>58706025
dont fall for the arch meme,
go with fedora. simple and the best place to start
>>
>>58706067
This, get something simple. You can always get an autism-friendly distro later.
>>
>>58706025
Depends on what you want. For beginners, I'd recommend some type of ubuntu or debian stable, just because it's easy to transition from windows.

No matter what you get, it's very easy to customize how it looks, so just check the /g/ wiki and check what suits you best
>>
>>58706025
exherbo is the best
>>
>>58706025
>College that requires usage of obsolete SW

Enjoy your unemployment and crippling debt.
>>
It's a simple knock-off version of windows on the desktop. You won't have a problem. Only narcissistic children on reddit and 4chan pretend it's anything complex or anything superior.

PS. Enjoy not having any software that matters. Might as well run OpenBSD. Less botnet.
>>
>>58706123
Not college, some teachers require using linux for their class, and all of these teachers are 60+ years old so i think that's why

>>58706136
I don't want to use exclusively linux, I have enough space on my PC so i'll use both windows and linux
>>
>>58706114
would arch be a good option if I'm a beginner? I've heard it's good but idk
>>
>>58706773
twitch chat managed to install it, so should be no trouble if you follow the instalation guide
>>
>>58706025
Ask your teacher which one he recommends pr use the one in the computer lab. You don't want to get bit by a random incompatibility between distros.
>>
doesn't your uni give a user account you can just ssh into with putty? That's what the normies do at my uni or they use mac.

Try ubuntu on a virtual machine and see how you like it. I like Ubuntu Mate personally.
>>
>>58706843
They have linux mint on the computer lab but i have never used it

>>58706922
yes i have an user on the computer lab to use windows 10 or linux mint, but i'd rather use my own computer far away from that lab cause it's full of autistic people i don't like being around
>>
>>58707015
right, I don't think you understood. ssh allows you to remotely access a unix/linux terminal remotely. My uni gives all the cs and engineering students an ssh account so they can just login into a terminal session remotely on their computer. This allows students that don't even have linux to operate and work with a linux session even on their windows computer. If your school doesn't offer that then it's not really an option for you then.
>>
>>58706025
debian stable
>>
Just get Debian Stable. Most other distros are stupid memes. Those that are not stupid memes are Enterprise paid with services that you don't need.
>>
>>58707124
>>58707125

Get out of my fucking head!
>>
>>58706025
Install VirtualBox on Windows. Run Ubuntu in a VM for your uni assignments. That is what all the CS students do at my university.
>>
>>58707088
ohh i get it. No, i don't have that, they tell us to use a virtual machine but i've tried that, it runs kinda slow on my PC, i don't know why, i have a good PC
>>
>>58707144

That's the patrician solution in that case. You don't need it for multimedia application or gaymes. In fact, it is absolutely horrible compared to Windows for those things because of no software that can compete, so just do the right thing and run a fucking gcc with a vim which doesn't take anything in resources.
>>
>>58707144
I used VMware workstation, but as i said, it was slow, is virtualbox any better?
>>
>>58707146
yeah, they often do. ssh will just get you the terminal interface. Which is quick and all you need if you're doing cs homework.
>>
>>58706116
NO! CRUX, YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!
>>
>>58707163
If he has the time he can use Cygwin or use Ubuntu bash on Windows 10 for native performance.
>>
>>58707146
you need to enable iommu and pin it some cores.
>>
>>58707186
I am used to Virtualbox, easier to use and its free.
>>
File: debian_1477710853338.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
debian_1477710853338.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>58707146
>i have a good PC

Post specs: CPU, RAM amount & type, which wibdows, SSD or HDD? etc.

Either your system isn't as good as you think, or you're not running your VM properly.

You might want to plan, as a path forward, wiping your computer, installing linux and running windows under a VM. That will depend on how & what you use windows for, but you'll probably get a better productivity environment that way. Do what you can in linux, open a windows VM when you need something that really only runs properly in windows.

If you use windows because of games, that won't be such a good solution in many cases. But, then, it would also indicate you're not all that serious about your education, either.

> debian stable

I'm not going to pollute the thread with another recommend. This is as good as anything you can try. Since you're com sci engg, using a solid linux distro will be a survival skill for you in your career. Invest the time to learn it properly, and debian is very worthy of that investment. Once you learn it proper, you can switch to another with reasonably little effort, which you will want to do once or twice just to develop that skill.
>>
>>58707294
>If you use windows because of games, that won't be such a good solution in many cases.
you can still play games in a windows VM, just pass it a gpu.
>>
>>58707323

Yes, I am aware of that. It's a bit complex for someone who's starting out. We're trying to get anon into an out-of-the-box Just Werx linux situation. And you need two independent GPUs, which screws you if you're SLI or Crossfire ... and this thread isn't about how to game on a VM of windows.
>>
>>58706067
This
>>
File: Captura.png (16KB, 563x203px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
16KB, 563x203px
>>58707294
I know RAM is shitty but I'm saving to get 8 GB at least, 16 if i can, Windows 7 ultimate and a HDD cause i can't afford a SDD right now. It ain't no NASA PC but it isn't that bad either, or not for me anyway it has worked pretty well since i build it
>>
>>58706025

Why are posts like this not a bannable offense? Like really have you ever heard of Google before?
>>
>>58707420
sorry, but a apu with 4gb ram is horrible, were you drunk or something ?
other than that, it's a low-end machine.
>>
>>58706025
ubuntu is actually like a meme os. Its not linux actually because of all the bloatware n shit.
Tho it is the one you will use because all the others are just too difficult to use.
>>
>>58707446
you want me to use Google to find forums where people discuss which linux OS is better, you want me to google something exactly like this thread but in another website? Well, i did that but i want some more opinions before i install anything, if you don't like it report and leave
>>
>>58707446
google literally links to this thread retard. Why aren't people like you banned?
>>
>>58707490
considering that before that i had a 32bits machine, 2 gb of RAM, 128 mb """"graphic card"""" and a 80 GB HDD, as i said not a nasa machine but it hasn't given me any major trouble these past 3 years, saving money to make it better tho
>>
File: sobremesa.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sobremesa.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>58707650
this was my PC
>>
>>58707650
>>58707707
That's what my school in eastern europe used until 5 years ago
>>
Don't get a simple, noob-friendly distro. That's a terrible idea if you want to actually learn anything. All of the bloat that comes with it will crash and break for reasons you didn't cause, so you don't understand.

Install Arch or Gentoo, don't use a graphical installer.

Everything you don't understand during the process, Google it.

Every new program you use, skim-read the manpage.

Read man hier.
>>
I went to linux for reasons that are similar to yours.
When you are getting into linux, do not be fooled at first by the meme wars, the desktop environment wars and so on. Pick something that is stable and will make you get to linux faster. Eventually everyone starts jumping from one distro to another.
Rolling release means every update available gets installed. This usually means SHIT stability, but essential for most software developers. I suggest to NOT go with any RS distro in the beginning.
The most popular linux distro is Ubuntu. It is very stable, comes with the Unity desktop environment that most people tend to not like very much according to my observations. Anyway, it's kind of simplistic and easy to get used to. The linux itself is very stable and is used by a lot of people, which makes it good for literally anything. It can also be a rolling release if you want it.
Ubuntu has the so called flavours, which are pretty much ubuntu with different DE. While a lot of people use DEs, they are also kind of buggy, or atleast buggier than clean ubuntu. If you don't like the unity DE and can't get used to it, try Linux Mint. It is Ubuntu derivative targeting very new users. It uses the cinnamon interface, which is much easier to get used to, and Mint is also very very stable. Only their servers are a little bit shitty, but it's good.

Continuing--->
>>
>>58708515
Same guy

Another linux that people would suggest are Fedora and it's derivatives. Fedora is a more bleeding edge distro. It implements all the new stuff. But it's buggy because of that. IT can be stable, but you must be fluent atleast a little. I don't suggest it for beginners and if you decide to go with it - pick Korora and not pure Fedora.

Another distro would be SuSE. Suse can be downloaded as both very stable, long term supported version called OpenSuSE leap, and a rolling release version for devs called Tumbleweed.
OpenSuSE has installation much shittier and harder than Ubuntu for example. It is very stable, comes with any DE you may want. It is believed to be the best stable distro using the KDE desktop environment. There is also a small, more simplistic version of it called Geckolinux. Gecko compared to openSuSE is something like Mint compared to Ubuntu, but I don't know if it's that stable.

I suggest - stay away from Arch. The Arch meme is the strongest and Arch is probably the best linux. But you must have A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE to even install it. Arch users are like nazis, and there is a reason for them to be like that. But being a newbie, trying to get used to this very complicated, RS linux with fucked up installation...
Some newfags will suggest Kali, but they are usually 14 years old tards. Kali is not even supposed for everyday users.
Others will say Gentoo, even some fags will say Slack. First off - they require A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE. Just like Arch. You can always go to them when you learn ATLEAST the basic philosophies they are build on.

I'd say if you are complete beginner go Ubuntu and if you don't feel good with it, try Mint. BTW I personally don't use ubuntu, or even an ubuntu-based distro. I started from there and it worked for me to gradually learn the basics and evolve using more complicated linuxes. If you are a noob with lack of practice and theoritical knowledge, these are the linuxes for you.
>>
>>58708570
OP should definitely go with Ubuntu or Fedora simply because they are two of the few distros backed by a real company with professional devs and not only neets in their moms' basements
>>
File: 1vqvWmv.png (45KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1vqvWmv.png
45KB, 602x500px
Jumping directly to Arch will lead to you having no spare time, an unusable computer for weeks to come and complete loss of social life.
Anyway, if you take the whole thing very hardcore, you will learn A LOT.
It is the best linux though and you will probably try it at some point. But this "point" doesn't have to be the beginning of your linux experience.
But forget about doing anything else, while getting used to it.
>>
>>58706025
I have Ubuntu as host with a win8.1 VM (for people that still think they are in middle school and use Office)
It really is great for laptops and I get better battery life anyways, plus most of the work is on C/C++ or Python for high level convenience.
Plus most of the proffesional software is available like Matlab and Mathematica.
>>
>>58708631
This makes arch sound way more hardcore than it is. If you're literate and halfway competent with computers you can install arch on your first try.
>>
>>58708593
So is SuSE. I didn't think about it to be honest, but It turns out I suggested the serious distros backed by companies by instinct.
But I think you are also very right. Using a linux not backed by a company means you have to be a part of developing it one way or another in orded to get used to it.
>>
File: 1485346643104.jpg (47KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1485346643104.jpg
47KB, 580x346px
>>58708631
>Jumping directly to Arch will lead to you having no spare time, an unusable computer for weeks to come and complete loss of social life.
lol, i never understood if this is just trolling or actually a real thing
>>
Install Antergos.
It's Arch for people who are not assburgers.
>>
>>58706025
Xubuntu Live CD
>>
>>58708736
Well most arch users I know don't leave their homes often and watch anime during every second of free time they have.
It's simply the choice of nerds. Who I personally have nothing against desu... I actually don't give a fuck... simply.
>>
I use Linux nearly every day for my job. I have to restart web filtering services when alerts come in. Just knowing how to use cd and ./ turned me into a god.
>>
>>58706083
Nice one!
>>
>>58706067
What's wrong with arch?
>>
>>58708955
Why not automate them with cron?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.