[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know the general dislike for elementary around these parts,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: elementaryos-04-loki.png (198KB, 1593x935px) Image search: [Google]
elementaryos-04-loki.png
198KB, 1593x935px
I know the general dislike for elementary around these parts, but why exactly? What do you dislike the most about this distro specifically?
>>
>>58704350
it's based on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu = Botnet
>>
>>58704350
why use a poor initiation when you could use the real thing
>>
>>58704371
Debian
>>
I don't hate it.
>>
>>58704371
OP here

I already use it.
>>
>>58704350
Looks like GNOME 3
>>
>>58704382
:\
>>
solus is better
or get a hackintosh
>>
>>58704350
Buggy.
Their App Store (whatever) doesn't work,
UX is bad.
>>
>>58704350
IDK what all the hate is about; it's comfy AF.
>>
>>58704350

Dude, I was just talking about this distribution.
Are you fucking tracking my posts? Are you the NSA?
So anyway Elementary OS has great hardware support and super slick interface but could use some going over, know what I mean?
Like why do I have to right click on a window and select minimize when there should be a button for minimize. And how the app manager is buggy as shit.
>>
>>58704400

Thanks dudebro, I'm going to try this Solus thing.
>>
>>58704350
Is this seriously how Elementary looks? Wow! Looks like ass. Centos with a dock.
>>
>>58704350
>People who dislike this.
I'm totally fine with that. You can dislike whatever you want. I don't like the desktop Elementary uses because it wastes a lot of screen space on large icons, almost like a touch UI.

>People who think Ubuntu is Botnet.
I guess you just have to rant against Ubuntu because you don't want to admit that it is clearly superior too all your Arch and Gentoo shit because you define yourself by your ability to fix your OS. That's sad.
>>
>>58704350
Everyone this is stale and looking for (you)s. OP knows Elementary is a joke. I think...
>>
>>58704350
Because it's just an Ubuntu spin masquerading as an "alternative to Windows and macOS", the people behind it are some of the most arrogant Linux distro devs I've seen. They think their buggy distro is comparable to Windows and macOS when it has the most obvious bugs to anyone using it after a couple of hours.

It's Linux, but trimmed down and botched till you end up with something as locked down as macOS but infinitely times buggier. They removed the ability for users to add PPAs out of the box in Loki and that's just the definition of anti-consumer if it was a paid OS. Adding to paid OSes, they ask for money using a fake paywall and whine about people using their OS for free. This is all in the open.

Nevermind that Elementary is literally just Ubuntu with not-GNOME. Meanwhile, the Solus devs put in way more work into Solus and built their DE without relying on antiquated packages and haven't put their product behind a fake paywall.

Why do you think Pantheon is so buggy on other distros? Because it's shit. The shilling I see online despite all this just gets me confused.
>>
>>58704350
It doesn't have a security team like
>Debian
>Ubuntu
>Fedora
>OpenSUSE
Therefore it is currently not worth looking at.
>>
>>58704350
I don't dislike it.
Stability wise, Loki is much better than Freya was for me.

I wish the native music player was better. It can't handle big libraries at all.
Their "AppCenter" is supposed to be a GUI to install software, but there are so many useless applications there that its hard to filter and find what you want. Most tech-literate users will just use the terminal anyway.
They removed the software-properties-common and software-properties-gtk packages from Loki. Though its easy to install them, to not have them by default is just stupid in my opinion. There isn't any advantage in not having them installed.
The file manager works, but it is too simple, and not as lightweight as it should be.
Pantheon is hardly available in other distros, and I've not seen efforts by the elementary team in making it so. Most ports come from other individuals (like the Fedora one).

Its a good distro overall, but has potential to be much better.
>>
>>58705841
more like a placebo team.
>>
>>58705897
This.

Most if not all the defaults in elementary are too rudimentary to use. The music player, the browser, the calendar app, even the dock. Docky is a better dock than whatever elementary has made. There are better, more robust alternatives too all the "apps" I found myself having to install all the time.
>>
>>58706038
Docky depends on mono though, Plank is much lighter and honors the distinction that Chrome makes between itself and a page launched as a webapp. The latter is the only reason I use Plank. Docky also seems to be much more stringent with icons, using shitty low-res icons instead of obey the icon pack I set.
>>
>>58705388

Now confirmed, Solus is 100000% better

On my Lenovo at least
>>
>>58704350
Is there some kind of activities overview or window spread or fancy launcher or is that literally it? Why would you use it over GNOME?
>>
I suppose the devs' shitty attitude toward people who don't pay for it is an ever-so-slight strike, but nothing too big for me.

My main reason for disliking it is the overall purpose of it. It tries to be OSX, and it succeeds - kind of. It looks and feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff of OSX; the aesthetics aren't that great, and it's feature-emaciated. I get what they're trying to do, but this isn't a user-friendly DE, it's a user-is-a-fucking-retard DE. I will give it credit though for ditching all of the frosted glass bullshit of OSX. That's awful looking.

If I really wanted an OSX-like desktop, I'd use GNOME.
>>
>>58704350
NIH-syndrome, spaghetti code written by graphic designers, DE incompatible with other distros (like Unity), could as well have been a fucking GTK theme + icon pack + a couple of extensions for Gnome 3.
>>
>>58708922
Also, making it work with iBus is a fucking chore of hacking shit together and pray it works in order to be able to input chink runes. At least this is something that Gnome, Unity and (partially) XFCE get right.
>>
>>58707195
>looks and feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff of OSX
this anon has your answer OP
/thread
>>
>>58704350
crashes more than anything i've ever used in my entire life
if it weren't for the instability, it'd be a totally fine distro
>>
>>58709013
it was probably a cuteposter with a loli wall and a rainbow screenfetch on hackintosh
>>
>>58704350
The resemblence to OSX is skin-deep.
One click and you're in LINUX hell.
>>
>>58704350
The only reason not to use Ubuntu itself is if you want libre, in which case use Debian. For nonlibre applications the optimal platform is usually Ubuntu. If you don't like the look of it just rice. It's not hard. There's no reason for cretin aesthetic distros like Elementary.
>>
I personally use GNOME.
And elementary is based on Ubuntu, so no thanks.
>>
File: 1485177531138.png (686KB, 701x775px) Image search: [Google]
1485177531138.png
686KB, 701x775px
>>58707145
gonna stick to elementary, less crap, making configuring and install more fast.

the look its nice, could be better but whatever...gonna stay more time using terminal than the file explorer.
>>
>>58704350
Whats the RAM usage for this Desktop ?
>>
>>58704350
just make a fucking hackintosh.

Elementary might resemble a MacOs but it works nothing like it. it's about 10 years behind in UI development.
>>
>>58704350
I've been using it. Loki is much more stable. Just get synaptic and you're good.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.