[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kali Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 459009035.jpg (45KB, 736x479px) Image search: [Google]
459009035.jpg
45KB, 736x479px
hi guys, i have a little question or an inconvenient.
the subject is this: I installed Oracle Virtualbox in my pc and i wanna run kali linux but i don´t know that pass, this don´t run cause said me my kernel required an x86-64, but only detected an i686 CPU.
i was see videos en youtube and the people only use (debian) when they wanna run their program and theirs pc are 64 bits just same like mine, but the problem is that my pc is 64 bits but in my Virtualbox (Debian) is (Debian32 bits)
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>58701536

Stop pretending you're a hacker and start building the wall.
>>
Set your VM's cpu architecture to X86_64 Generic.
>>
>>58701536 (you)
>>
>>58701536
nice b8 m8
>>
>>58701536
just use the live version, there's really no reason to have a dedicated kali pc unless you're working in the industry.
>>
>>58702456
>>58701536
Alright I know Kali is kind of a meme for "le hacker" stuff, but if I have a passing interest in the sort of things Kali is used for, where should I begin?

I am not motivated to be a pentester but I have a slight interest in understanding what tactics and software are used just out of curiousity.

So is there some sort of mid-level tutorial that doesn't teach you bare basics (I'm a CS student specializing in ML) and doesn't expect you to already have a background in whatever you'd call this ("Hacking", pentesting, etc)?
>>
>>58703383
I suppose the simplest way would be to go though the tools one by one. Just slap them onto your distro of choice and use it until you have a general idea how to use it, then move onto the next one. Tbh "Kali is bad" is also a meme, it might be shit for bare metal, but it's a nice thing to stick on a boot usb.
>>
>>58703721
Oh, to clarify I already have Kali installed on its own partition. I'm just a bit new to linux and pentesting in general so I have no clue where to begin.

Should I see if I can break into my own phone or something?
>>
File: 1456152723318.jpg (130KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
1456152723318.jpg
130KB, 660x495px
>>58703806
try breaking into your Windows are deleting system32
>>
>>58703383
there are books on the subject that are outdated once published, but still give a general idea. Engebretson's "The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing" was used in a class I took and covers the whole process.
>>
>>58703847
Yeah I figured that'd be the case. Still, I'd rather give myself a foundation if I'm even to consider heading towards the cutting edge. Thank you for the book title. I'll look into it.
>>
>>58703806
No, don't try to beak into a phone or something.

Heck, don't try to hack anything. First understand the methodology used in pentesting.
Reconnaissance
Scanning
Vulnerability Checking
Exploiting
Reporting

Start these steps, learn how you would do them. (nmap or zenmap for GUI, wireshark etc for recon and scanning, exploit-db.com for checking what the scanned system is vulnerable to, metasploit for exploiting or armitage if you dont like CLI, then write a report on your finding)

If you want to go an extra mile, do an online course for the CEH certification.
>>
>>58703872
and this is only a beginning. Then you have to learn the OWASP by hard, do their labs like security shepherd. Fucking learn networking, OSI, TCP/IP. You should know how to use Scappy like the back of your hand.

Read every single news article daily, be always up to date. This isn't learn one tool, get into NSA database. Cyber security is a way of life, not something a script kiddie can do with some half baked python script downloaded from hack forums
>>
>>58703899
I do appreciate your tips but I don't plan to hack into the NSA. I have some dumb dream of making my own smart house one day so I just wanted to understand security from the outside in.

You dropped a lot of terms so I have even more research ahead of me. Thank you.
>>
You need to enable VT-x in your host bios.
>>
>>58703920
>>58701536
this.
>>
Kali isn~t a beginner OS, and since you don't even know the difference between x86 and i646 it will be better to start of with something like ubuntu/fedora to understand linux, and then possibly go into Kali-territory with all its networking tools.

>So is there some sort of mid-level tutorial that doesn't teach you bare basics
nope. This isn't some entry-level stuff where you read a tutorial and you're good to go, you actually have to understand a lot of underlying aspects to be able to know what you are doing.
>I'm a CS student specializing in ML
Really? I guess its understandable that someone without any tec-related education would ask such questions, but someone who studies CS should at least have the mindset to expand their knowledge.
>>
Install Solus
>>
>>58704289
I'm the CS student. I'm not OP. I'm not sure what you're getting at though. Tutorials are still learning just as much as books, and I was just curious if there was a learning/teaching community outside of academia for that sort of thing.
>>
>>58704484
tutorials focus on a easy, straight-forward approach to using something, without explaining anything on the side.

If you want to get something to work, a "tutorial" would be enough, but if your goal is to understand all aspects related to a certain tool to the extent where you can use all tools associated with it properly you have to educate yourself accordingly.

>I was just curious if there was a learning/teaching community outside of academia
Most good eBooks have been ripped and can be pirated easily and wiki's made specifically to suit a certain tool give out tons of information. Learning stuff yourself makes you able to advance faster since you can focus on the stuff that's harder for you, while using less for stuff that is easy. Academia does not give you this sort of dynamic learning process.

Though yes, there are learning communities, but most of them are small and/or won't be specific enough.
>>
>>58704633
Do you have any books you'd recommend? I already have Engebretson's "The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing" that the other anon mentioned.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.