[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ToxLogo.png (2KB, 105x128px) Image search: [Google]
ToxLogo.png
2KB, 105x128px
On a scale from 0 to meme, how badly did this fail, and why?
>>
This is actively developing desu
>>
>>58695383
I still use utox semi regularly since it works and low resource
>>
File: uTox_image.png (64KB, 790x651px) Image search: [Google]
uTox_image.png
64KB, 790x651px
>>58695383

I had no idea what this was, and then I googled it and found the website.

With this amount of cringe, no wonder it failed.
>>
ponyshit icon in the first program screenshot you see on their main page. how in the fuck am i supposed to link that to my peers and say "use this instead of skype/slack/whatever"?
>>
IIRC Tox boasted about being a very secure and private Skype alternative and it turned out it was using a very rudimentary and very unsecure method to send messages.

Then when the creator was confronted about it he denied it, despite it being provable. Then he defended his use of that type of security, despite it also proving to be highly unsecure and easily hacked. He acted autistic about the whole ordeal, so people lost interest.

Something along those lines.
>>
Has anyone tried Ricochet? It looks interesting.
It's basically a Tor-based IM.

https://ricochet.im/
https://github.com/ricochet-im/Ricochet

Will the FBI be tracking my messages?
>>
>>58695657
The only vulnerability found (in 3+ years) was that if someone steals your key and password he can impersonate any of your contacts to you.
But for example in skype if someone steals your password they have access to all your message history, something that doesn't happen in tox.
>>
>>58696019
Does it has any advantage to tox?
As far as i know tox supports Tor too, and Ricochet doesn't seem to support voice or video.
>>
>>58696679
>As far as i know tox supports Tor too
Yeah, looks like the only thing it has over Tox is that Ricochet is "Tor by default", and has actually had a security audit.
>>
What's a good alternative to tox then?
>>
>>58695383
this was made by a /g/ member
>>
meme

Basically made up crypto that doesn't actually work.
>>
>>58695383
I'm using it right now on my phone to tox a friend in the Netherlands.
My other laptop has in running with the club cyberia chatroom. I compiled Toxic
I use tuntox for ssh because it's two layers of encryption instead of just the ssh encryption alone and I don't have to deal with port forwarding.
ToxVPN is pretty fucking neato as well.
uTox is also crazy fast, like what the fuck.
qTox works will on windows.
They've gone from a logo.png and an idea to a working beta thing with nothing but volunteers. I don't know what your problem is, OP.
>>
Incomplete 3 years later and leaks your IP, it's shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.