[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NAS prebuilt or homemade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: synology.png (5KB, 148x41px) Image search: [Google]
synology.png
5KB, 148x41px
Considering getting a NAS for that personal cloud goodness + media streaming.

Is it worth buying pre-built, like from Synology or similar brands, or should I just build my own?

Are there any advantages to buying a ready box besides convenience?
>>
Build your own. Prebuilt ones are trash.
>>
synology and other brands do have this very cool raid system that will redo the raid when you add more drives. so you could start a "nas" eith one drive out of the 5 or whatever you bought populated, and then add drivea as needed and synology will rebuild the array for you. something I don't think is really possible much outside thay kind of system. if you already have all the storage you need purchased, then it would be cheaper and just as simple to do something homemade. there is a linux called nasbsd I think? that helps you set all that shit up.
>>
File: 1464961173070.jpg (147KB, 440x465px) Image search: [Google]
1464961173070.jpg
147KB, 440x465px
>>58691967
synology is just using mdadm with a few scripts. no proprietary magic.

Prebuilts just werk OP, you time might be more valuable than what you'll spend in deployment.
>>
>>58691793
which do you have less of, money or time?
prebuilt definitely costs more, but they're pretty much plug-in-and-forget-about level simple.

take the $/hr you value your time, the number of hours you'd estimate it would take you to get a homebuilt NAS going, then look at the price differentials.

for lower end, pre-builts have a decent chance of winning. if you insist on ECC or 10+GbE, homemade stands a better chance, since enterprise-level NAS tend to fuck your wallet enterprise-style.
>>
>>58691793
I picked up a NetGear ReadyNAS and I love it. I think I paid close to $300 for it and then bought 4x Western Digital Red NAS 4TB and put in RAID5. I use it for Plex, OwnCloud, and system backups.
>>
I have both. A 4 bay synology and a FreeNAS custom.

Synology is the best as far as little setup. Has plugins that are easy to install.

Then I have made my own. FreeNAS is a good way to learn about BSD, but requires more maintenance if you're just starting out with BSD. But also has plugins / templates.

At the end of the day a custom box will be more granular in your control. Where as if you just want to it 'werk' get a synology, anon.
>>
Looking for a prebuilt myself. Is Synology the top tier or just most common?
>>
What do i need to start a NAS remotely? I already have a 2nd computer running Kodi that servers my whole house, but i want to be able to watch it from anywhere in the world.
>>
>>58694303
It's not enterprise-tier, Security update speed is mediocre, left roundcube vulnerable for a month.

But the plusses have Docker and can accept ram upgrades.
>>
>>58691793
Synology is overpriced garbage. Get an iX NAS. I've seen that thing saturate 10Gb, as well as run on as much as 80 disks. It's also a lot cheaper than synology.
>>
>>58695179
WakeOnLan + OpenWRT
>>
>>58695491
>It's also a lot cheaper than synology.
The big price is the cost of disks. Or it is unless you're building a teeny weeny toy NAS. And you need to buy two or more so that you can put them in separate locations (different buildings separated by at least one city block) so you can do non-insane backup. You might need to also upgrade the network between the two (which will make the cost of the NAS boxes seem trivial).

My Synologies have been reasonable; once set up, they've run without trouble. Other systems might be good too. I just note that they've worked well for me.
>>
Synology and QNAP are fine for most consumers.

They often lack advanced features or require workarounds. E.g. full disk encryption is inherently insecure on those brands.

Also the cheaper models oftwn have shitty CPUs, so if you want encryption or automatic media encoding avoid those.

FreeNAS is great if you want a DIY NAS without having to configure everything manually.
>>
>>58691793
>Considering getting a NAS for that personal cloud goodness + media streaming.
>Is it worth buying pre-built, like from Synology or similar brands, or should I just build my own?
>Are there any advantages to buying a ready box besides convenience?

If you're asking this question then get a synology.

I have one and it's nice, plug and play, apps and stuff easy to dl, auto update, maintenance stuff is pre configured. There is a large user forum and you can call technical support if needed.

I also have built my own. Cheaper for sure but setting everything up takes time and I'm a programmer. Last one i built was a little beyond nas definition, dual xeon e5s with 256gb ram + 100tb ish of storage. More of a streaming server .

Just think of a synology box not in terms of hardware price. What you're paying for is a completely configured box that's click and go. Shove in hard drives and you've got a webserver, photo server, file server, email server and pretty much any other server ready to go. Nas generally don't have enough hp for Plex.
>>
>>58691793
there is no benefit for a private person to make a nasbox themselves.

power consumption, and maintenance is way higher than a prebuilt box.

so unless you are an autistic neckbeard who likes to think that he is special because his network closet is warmer than the next one, go with the prebuilt one.
>>
>>58691793
Make your own build and put it OpenMediaVault, guaranteed to work in contrast with freenas.
>>
Anyone have a site or build cheat sheet for a NAS? I'm looking to consolidate but yet keep it easy to maintain. LAN only unless connected via OpenVPN.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.