[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Security and Antivirus in 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1483661345685.jpg (68KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483661345685.jpg
68KB, 960x720px
http://www.zdnet.com/article/ex-top-mozilla-dev-to-windows-users-ditch-all-antivirus-except-microsofts-defender/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/06/antivirus-software-fails-catch-attacks-security-expert-symantec

Are antivirus still useful, or are they dead? Are you using an antivurs now?
>>
>>58688797
install gentoo
>>
>>58688806
It's still compiling.
>>
>>58688797
based
>>
>>58688977
Three IP's 4 posts....
>>58688797
Just grabbed Malwarebyts from the wiki. You know, the one in the sticky.
0 viruses found. Guess that common sense 98 still works just fine.
>>
Common Sense 92 user here still haven't had issues in the new era of internet, read 2008 on.
>>
I use one so windows defender stays off and doesn't permanently leech 50% CPU
>>
>>58688797
NO and fucking no never use anything except browser addons and mbam may be if you want cybercriminals offer just for 7-14$ 1 week crypters to bypass any av+firewall not to mention that AVs probably have more 0 day than os and apps together
just dont waste you money and resources AV services are fucking scam.
>>
I use Avast, MSE, and malware bytes anti malware
anything else i should use?
>>
>>58690531
Your fucking brain
>>
>>58688797
If you got browser addons that block popups and scripts and don't download from shady warez sites, you should be fine without antivirus. I'd say it's dead. You don't need any of that stuff to protect yourself
>>
>>58690535
that's not a legitimate argument
>>
>>58688797
I use Windows Defender and run Malwarebytes once or twice a month.

Haven't had any problems so far.
>>
>>58688797
I only run MB and adwarecleaner once in a blue moon.
Haven't detected shit in more than a year thanks to umatrix and ublock, can't beat common sense (current year).
>>
>>58688797
AVs are viruses themselves.
>>
>>58688797
>... common sense
>>
File: Hz0hQdo.jpg (99KB, 700x453px) Image search: [Google]
Hz0hQdo.jpg
99KB, 700x453px
>>58688797
best antivirus evar
>>
malwarebytes and common sense.
>>
>>58690830
can't use what you don't have...
>>
>>58688797

I'm interested in AV software and root-kit detectors ... not for my personal work stations, but so I can scan flash drives and attached HDDs/SSDs from other systems.

Any advices?

About once a month, sometimes a bit more, I get a help request from family &/or friends. I'd like to be able to remove their system drive and run a scan with it attached over USB or even directly via SATA.

Don't really care about running an AV live/realtime ... but I'd like 2 or 3 AVs that compliment each other, plus one or two root kit detectors so I can run extremely thorough manual scans. When I hand a drive back to someone, I want to tell them with unqualified confidence that the drive is clean.

That also allows me to put the drive back into their system and tweak their install without having to worry I'm wasting time on a system that's already compromised.

As a bonus ... what about something that can scan an install into a VM? I recently found a WinXP 64-bit ISO that I'd like to put into a VM, but I'd like to be able to analyze it pretty thoroughly to make sure it's not compromised.
>>
the case would be more compelling if windows defender wasnt garbage. its literally the bottom of the barrel in terms of detection, performance, and everything else.
>>
>>58690830
Good, I wasn't presenting one
>>
>>58689902
You know you can disable it without installing another AV.
>>
>>58690485
>catches 98% of malware
>some 0day get through
>it's a fucking useless scam

I don't understand this kind of autistic black and white thinking.
>>
>>58691077
>my AV didn't find anything so that means I'm clean

That's not how it works.
>>
https://livebunker.rocks/chat/int#General
>>
>>58692001
>>catches 98% of malware
>>some 0day get through
If only.
>Dye told the Wall Street Journal that hackers increasingly use novel methods and bugs in the software of computers to perform attacks, resulting in about 55% cyberattacks going unnoticed by commercial antivirus software.
>>
>>58688797
what do you guys think about ComboFix?
>>
>>58690830
Look, Avast and MSE both include real-time monitoring. There's a potential conflict there.
>>
>>58688797
Yes. Right now, malware and ransomware are the largest threat victors. I recommend ESET Smart Security combined with Malwarebytes Premium. ESET Smart Security includes a firewall and web browser protection. Malwarebytes has a great exploit and ransomware feature. While I haven't really had much issues with threats, it usually picks up a lot of the toolbars or shareware that comes bundled in software.
>>
>>58688797
>mozilla
>knowing shit about security

>microsoft defender
>good
kek'd
>>
>>58692001
>catches 98% of malware
ya you keep believing that
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.