[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most basic, user-friendly linux distro?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

Looking for the best first time experience.

Will be dual booting w10 for school...
>>
>>58684733

you got it. and just go cinnamon.
>>
>>58684733
ubuntu or mint for beginingers
if you feel that its a prove yourself kind of thing then move on to Arch or Gentoo.
everything else is fun to play with
Mint and Ubuntu have the most support in the end.
Sad but true.
>>
>>58684790
>>58684796
don't listen to these two fags
mint & ubuntu are terrible
Fedora is the best OS
>>
>>58684828
actually fedora is pretty good for beginners too.
and desu there is a decent amount of support for any of the popular distros
>>
Manjaro is pretty good. They have a GUI for most of the important things. It's not trash like the Ubuntu GUIs.
>>
>>58684733
>>58684790
>>58684796
>>58684828
>>58684933
>>58685208

Install gentoo
>>
>>58685208
i say manjaro or antergos, both are great
>>
>>58685272
I'm using antergos right now. I wouldn't say it's good for a beginner. There are a lot of things you need to do through the CLI.
>>
>>58684790
Ain't Nothing wrong with Mint MATE.
>>
>>58685325
well, there's the fact that the mint devs made it
>>
>>58685325
It's not Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>58684790
>>58684796
these

don't listen to these faggots >>58684828 >>58684933

and for fucks sake, stay away from arch and gentoo
>>
You can't go wrong with fedora.
>>
>>58686162
just stop
>>
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/mint-18-1-review-forget-about-wayland-and-get-comfy-with-the-command-line/
>In Mint 18, Mint began including an intro screen that comes up when you first launch Update Manager. Mint will ask you which settings you want to use for updates. The options are "don't break my computer," "optimize stability and security," and "always update everything." By default, the middle option is selected. Each of those options has some additional information, including a recommendation which is, in the same order, "for novice users," "for most users," and "for advanced users."

>Labeling a setting "don't break my computer" implies that the other options will break your computer, which is almost guaranteed to scare a new users into choosing that option. That's a huge disservice to novice users, and it's out of place with the rest of Mint. If Mint really can't provide a stable up-to-date system without blocking upstream updates, I would suggest everyone stop using it. The thing is, Mint can provide that, it has just made some poor UI decisions in its Update Manager which may mislead novice users. This bit of overly clever language could cause a newer user to end up with a less secure system.

>Again, Mint can be just as secure as any other distro. The problem is that it actively encourages users not to value security via poorly chosen defaults and user interface messages. And if the "always update everything" option, including the kernel, really does break Mint, I'd suggest maybe Mint needs to step back and give some thought to what that says about the distro. In my experience, though, using this setting has never caused me any problems with Mint. It should be the default setting, just as it is in every other distro I'm aware of.
>>
>>58686249
I agree with that article almost a 100%. I'd still suggest Mint to OP.
>>
>>58686249
The author is a delusional elitist. Linux distros suffer from regressions and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
>>
nobody said elementary?

elementary, you dipshit. my 13 year old daughter runs it. surely you are more tech savvy than her?

probably not if you're asking this question.
>>
>>58686332
>While 99 percent of my experience with Linux Mint has been positive, I find that the Update Manager is one place this distro falls on its face. Mint users tend to get defensive about this point because Mint has gone to the trouble to build its own Update Manager
Stop being so defensive.
>>
>>58686249
Is mint a lot better than LMDE? I had a lot of stability problems with Cinnamon when I was using LMDE. It was like having all of the downsides of Debian stability and also all of the downsides of having an unstable system mixed together.

I don't know why that distro even exists. I don't really see much of a difference between it and the Debian + Cinnamon binary that the Debian people ship.
>>
>>58684733
mint
>>
Ubuntu MATE. There really is no other option.
>>
Linux lite.
>>
>>58684790

This. Just go with Manjaro Cinnamon 16.10.3 instead though.
>>
Anything Ubuntu because 'solved' comes up more frequently than not in forums when encountering problems. And like others, I like MATE with my Ubuntu.

Other than that I use Fedora. I am mid-tier experience, and these two distros give enough of the linux/gnu experience without being overwhelming. Gentoo/Arch are for later on.
>>
>>58684733
Mint with cinnamon is the fucking best. I'm yet to find a better DE after distro hopping for years.

Every few months I try out some new distro that uses some custom "new" DE and they all fucking suck compared to cinnamon
>>
Remix or Gallium in my opinion
>>
Go Ubuntu. Mint is just Ubuntu with a layer of useless bullshit, an uglier logo, and a nicer default DE.
>>
Go with Debian unstable unless you're a retard
>>
File: fuckthecia.png (767KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
fuckthecia.png
767KB, 700x700px
This board has gone to shit.
OP asked which is the most user friendly distro, and that without a doubt would be either Ubuntu or Mint, because they're made to work OOB and have huge ass communities.

I personally use Mint 17.3 because it's stable as a rock and it comes nicely bundled with Cinnamon (and yes, you can install Cinnamon everywhere and durrrrrrrrrrrrr but I have shit to do with my computer so I can't spend too much time ricing it).

Ignore the neet plebeians OP.
>>
>>58684733
Xubuntu
>>
After a lot of tries, I conclude that Ubuntu and a few of its flavors are probably the least painful way of getting into it.

Mint used to break like a motherfucker, don't know if it still does. I was able to switch resolutions in Ubuntu MATE, and Mint MATE just did jackshit unless I used xrandr

Manjaro just isn't as intuitive and you'll end up having to use the AUR

Fedora is ok until you need something that they don't want you to have
>>
>>58686365
Did your 13 year old daughter pay for it too? Or is she a "thief"?
>>
>>58686365
Do you have pictures of she?
>>
>>58684733
regular ubuntu with unity.
>>
>>58686896
This.
>>
File: crypts-folders.webm (607KB, 960x482px) Image search: [Google]
crypts-folders.webm
607KB, 960x482px
Crypt-OS
>>
guess i'll go with mint MATE
>>
Don't do it OP. Go with any distro but do not use MATE. It's laggy as shit and doesn't really have any benefits over KDE, XFCE or Gnome or Unity.

I suggest Kubuntu.
>>
>>58684828
>Fedora is the best OS
You get a lot of updates on Fedora so there's a slightly increased chance of a nublet's computer going tits-up. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is what I would suggest.
>>
>>58685325
>sucking MATE's dick
MATE Looks like it's straight out of the 90's.
>>
>>58686099
>He is a Linux noob
>>
>>58684733
Linux Mint is the choice. Fedora is not good choice in this case because it doesnt have Additional Drivers thing and other shit.
>>
>>58684733
Fuck around with a couple distros on a VM and use whichever you feel most comfy. Most even provide VM images. It isn't terribly hard, I repurposed a dying Pentium III box with Ubuntu in 2010 or thereabouts for my then-10-year-old sister and she had no issues with that.

But yeah, if you don't want to fuck around and just want to get to the beef and potatoes right away, most common distros are perfectly fine, and Mint is no exception. Cinnamon is currently very used as a DE and will get you lots of google results if you have any issues or wanna rice it.

I myself am more of a Debian+KDE guy.
>>
>>58691147
what's better then
>>
>>58684733
>dual boot shitdows
Mint, Ubunghole, and Fedora has a secure boot key.
Install cinnamon mint.
>>
>>58691852
isn't cinnamon ubuntu botnet?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.