[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I need your opinion. Some time ago I saw somebody post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Hey /g/, I need your opinion. Some time ago I saw somebody post about how they set up an old server for bitcoin farming in a starbucks and it ran for months without anybody touching it and I am thinking of doing the same thing. I would set up an used old server in a public space and let it just let it run with a "please dont touch" sign on it.

Did I get baited /g/ or would this actually work if I cheesed my way through everything. I am thinking of setting this up in at my local gym since you get free wifi and power wont be too hard to find.
>>
Worth a shot, what is there to lose? A cheap server? I'd try it
>>
>>58675726
That's fucking smart.

Going to do this as well.
>>
Make sure you put some Titan X's in your bitcoin farmer that you leave. That's the only way this will be worth it.
>>
>old server
>No vga
Enjoy your 0,80$ profit in 1 month
>>
Not sure about large boxes for mining, but you might be able to unscrew a power outlet and hide a raspberry pi in a wall. Just a matter of finding a power source.
>>
>>58676779
problem is that an RPi has so little computational power that you won't make any money doing this. Pretty much anything that isn't an ASIC isn't viable for mining anymore. Even those need cheap electricity to be profitable.
>>
>>58675726
1. Servers are loud
2. Servers are big
3. You need clusters of GPUs to actually do anything in any short amount of time. You're seriously going to invest a few hundred dollars and your time into buying the server and setting it up with GPUs so you can mine $5 worth of Bitcoin?
4. Servers are loud and big
5. There's a good chance it will fail and you won't be able to reset it
6. Are you stupid?
>>
>>58676832
Not even for mining, you can a server on it. As law disregarded as you want.
>>
>>58676779
RaspPI is going to pay for the rubber you wore off your shoes walking to the public space, but only if you leave it switched on for about 1000 years.
>>
>>58675726
>2017
>mining bitcoins
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
On the topic of server can you add RAM without rebooting?
>>
File: s7.jpg (144KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s7.jpg
144KB, 1500x1000px
>>58675726

Mining Bitcoin with an old server is utterly pointless. You are talking less then a fraction of a penny per day if you use a CPU to mine such as that server.

You need a special ASIC miner now-a-days. Pic related. Brand new Antminer S9 costs $2100 USD and generates roughly $9/day at the current rate excluding electricity costs.
>>
Mining Bitcoin is utterly pointless unless you have several hundred thousands in the bank to start up a farm. You are making pennies on the dollar when mining, and you need a large operation to turn over any sort of profit.

I am an electrician in an area with extremely cheap power. My union gets a few Bitcoin farm jobs every once and awhile. You cannot compete with these people, they have millions of dollars to throw-away if need be.
>>
>>58679115
Not really....

I mean you could but the risk isn't worth it and even then you would have to reboot for the majority of OSes to pick up the hardware.
>>
>>58679175
Why would I need one of those specifically? I would use the processing power of gpus instead of solely multi-cored cpus.
>>
>>58679224
Thats actually really intresting. Where do you work?

>>58679175
Would there be any alternative to bitocin farming?
>>
>>58679862
X86 (or x64) cpus are good general purpose machines. That machine has circuitry dedicated entirely to computing bitcoins as quickly as possible. It would suck for any other purpose, but for bitcoin it's crazy fast. Bitcoins are now sufficiently complicated to compute that this type of device is your starting point.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.