[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JUST INSTALLED GENTOO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gentoo-logo.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-logo.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
i just installed gentoo and i dont know what all the fus about the instillation is. if you just follow the handbook its easy to install. thought gentoo was just a meme but its pretty good
>>
>>58671635
It's not that the installation process is difficult, it's that it's time consuming because of all the compiling that is required. You honestly probably waste more cpu cycles compiling shit for no reason than you save with your minor optimizations.
>>
File: 1485127036905.gif (95KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1485127036905.gif
95KB, 500x384px
>>58671635
>i dont know what all the fus about the instillation is. if you just follow the handbook its easy to install.
Yet you felt like you needed to make a thread to share your accomplishment with us.
>>
>>58671708
well i posted because everyone talks about how hard gentoo is to install. i guess when people say it on this board theyre just shit posting
>>
>>58671635
installing gentoo is not hard if you know what to do. you need to know about general linux stuff like creating file systems, mounting, chroot, creating a user account, etc.
And you're also required to understand gentoo specific stuff, for example what USE flags are for and how to use emerge properly so you don't break your system.
all in all it's not that hard, but installing gentoo requires more than just installing ubuntu.
>>
>>58671635
I have a second machine I wanna install it on and I was gonna around christmas but still too lazy

I wanna have it on here too as a dualboot with debian
>>
>>58672250
just wipe it, and install gentoo
>>
>>58671781
Try installing ReactOS/HURD.
>>
>>58672657
the second one is wiped

not gonna wipe debian off this one,it's my main computer. I just wanna fool around with gentoo a bit to see if I like it
>>
The real fun is troubleshooting every little issue that you come across after installation. Have fun!
>>
that's why I wanna keep debian. I like to solve all the little bugs and make it do things the way I like, but some times you just wanna get stuff done.

it'll take a while to get everything perfect.
>>
>>58671676
Way to completely miss the point of Gentoo.
>>
>>58671676

The point is not optimization. Anybody who says they choose Gentoo because compiling all their packages inherently gives their machine better performance is an idiot.

The point is USE flags. The ability to only use what you need, or add support for a certain feature. You don't get that choice with other package managers.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC/Working/USE

Portage is one of the best pieces of software ever made.
>>
>>58671635

There is no fuss. The people that complain about the difficulty of installing gentoo are the people that are used to having an installer do all the work for them. After installing gentoo a few times it becomes second nature. It also gives the user a deeper understanding of how Linux works.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.