[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your computer is millions of times faster than a mainframe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: 1484431456134.png (408KB, 824x792px) Image search: [Google]
1484431456134.png
408KB, 824x792px
>your computer is millions of times faster than a mainframe from the 70s
>this image takes up as much room as an entire kernel, utilities and user files used to
>>
you have more memory in L1 cache than a home computer from the 80s
>>
>>58669016
WTF /g/ BECAUSE OF THIS PICTURE THAT'S BIGGER THAN SOME 70s KERNEL I TRIED TO STICK MY DICK IN SOME ANIME GIRL AND NOW MY DICK IS STUCK IN A DOUGHNUT AND MY CAT IS TRYING TO EAT THE DOUGHNUT OFF MY DICK.
>>
Your phone has more computing power than the entire computing capability of earth in 1910. Let that sink in.
>>
>modern operating systems spend more cpu time deciding what to run on the cpu at any particular time than what was available as a whole on machines back then
>>
>>58670011
>botnet gathers more information per second than all telegramms in 1917
>>
File: 1479580200592.jpg (65KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1479580200592.jpg
65KB, 680x680px
>>58669016
I think we can all agree this is a much better use of kilobytes
>>
The microcontroller inside a SIM card is a complete computer, and has more ROM and RAM memory than the computer used in the Apollo 11 moon mission.
>>
>>58669016
It feels like magic when it finally hits you how much the mankind has progressed in the recent years.
>>
daily reminder that progression is just a meme
>>
Am I the only one that fantasizes about some genius billionaire making an actually good, fully featured OS that easily available all over the world for the good of mankind? Think about if the GNU project actually had good shit, and talented people all over the world worked together to make it better everyday.
>>
>>58670065
not on flanshit
>>
>>58670133
That's what Ubuntu should have been
>>
anyone else ever fantasize about going back in time with a modern computer or even a phone and revolutionizing things decades earlier?
>>
>>58669016
mind == blown
>>
>There are more shitposts on 4chan in 2017 than there were atoms in 1902
>>
>>58670279
No but I fantasize about mailing my netbook back in time to Bell Labs and see what they would do with it.
>>
>>58670151
That's what ubuntu IS, but neckbearded kissless virgins are never happy.
>>
>>58670090
Did she ded?
>>
File: 1457906682110.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1457906682110.png
200KB, 356x256px
>I use as much bandwidth in a month as the global monthly Internet traffic in 1990
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_traffic#Global_Internet_traffic
>I own 12.5 times more storage than the total amount of storage sold in 1990
>1990 was only 27 years ago

>>58670363
Ubuntu is malware and harmful to the GNU/Linux community.
>>
>>58670454
>>I own 12.5 times more storage than the total amount of storage sold in 1990
Wait, this one's wrong. I can't read graphs.
>>
>>58670454
I own two full sized PCs with GPUs, two small form factor PCs, two mini PCs, two Android-on-a-sticks, two HP laptops, a netbook, 5 consoles, a 3DS, 3 smartphones (don't ask), 3 tablets, and 5 monitors. Fite me irl.
>>
>>58669016
some day I'd like to actually put this to the test with real iron, I really have a hard time believing this kind of shit from an actual practical performance perspective

old mainframes and supercomputers may have been far slower in the numbers but the workloads they put up with like serving thousands of users concurrently or solving complex scientific problems with high sustained throughput still seem like something that would absolutely strangle the shit out of a phone or PC today despite the advantages
>>
>>58669994
That's the opposite of a problem.
>>
>>58670279
>>58670340
Computer scientists of the past weren't the unenlightened simpletons so many seem to think they were. You wouldn't change much, because much of modern computing advancement has been incremental, building on top of existing technologies and infrastructure as that advancement becomes economically feasible.

A lot of the shit we do today already implemented on the mainframe or in the laboratory in some form or another by the late '60s to early '70s with ultimately just tweaks and slightly improvements since then, and most of the real, tangible advancement has stemmed from the incrementally improving manufacturing processes driving down costs and making way for new features to be efficiently integrated.

Going back in time and just giving some people a random piece of shit you picked up from Wal-Mart wouldn't really teach them dick about any of that, at most it would just give them some novel ideas for uses of a computer in a home setting and some expectations of the future.
>>
>>58670941
>A well thought out post.
Do you even know where you are lmao.
>>
>>58670636
Good luck finding one, here's a list of all the System/360's and 370's (1960's and 1970's mainframes) that still exist. http://www.ibmsystem3.nl/System360/
>>
>>58669016
>>your computer is millions of times faster than a mainframe from the 70s
>>this image takes up as much room as an entire kernel, utilities and user files used to
This is actually a religious tenet. There are a number of people, who should know better, who teach this.
The mainframes of the past were designed for tasks other than games, page layout and graphic design; there were workstations for that.
The mainframe ran networks with thousands of interactive nodes (like a bank or a supermarket chain) with 100% uptime and concurrent maintenance. CAD/CAM and data collection/data search and retrieval. Huge databases of text, image, sound/voice.
You can't run a 10.000 point banking network on a PC. You need real grunt.
>>
File: IBM_4341_LCM1.jpg (316KB, 834x635px) Image search: [Google]
IBM_4341_LCM1.jpg
316KB, 834x635px
>>58672366
The LCM has four on that list, that's a pretty good bet. Pic related looks like it works, too. Hopefully one day they get an MVS system opened up to the public.

It would be an interesting experiment to drum up enough publicity and get some activity going on it, then quietly replace it with a tablet or netbook running Hercules and see what happens.
>>
File: IBM_4341_LSSM.jpg (469KB, 1039x644px) Image search: [Google]
IBM_4341_LSSM.jpg
469KB, 1039x644px
>>58673280
This other working one looks pretty damn neat too. It's a shame more of these weren't preserved.
>>
File: HANKUUAAAAAGGGHH.jpg (41KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
HANKUUAAAAAGGGHH.jpg
41KB, 512x384px
>they are actually building Babbages massive mechanical computer complete with mechanical memory banks of cogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfChYGv3Z4
>>
>>58670395

no shes just resting.
>>
>>58673370
someone should let her know that her hand is over the yellow line

also she spilled some tomato juice or something
>>
>>58670454
well no shit there was barely an internet and most of the data exchanged was plaintext
>>
>>58670074
>The microcontroller inside a SIM card is a complete computer, and has more ROM and RAM memory than the computer used in the Apollo 11 moon mission.

>Random Access Memory memory
>>
>>58670279
All the time, but my fantasy is to take a durable smartphone with a few solar chargers and spare batteries back to about 1200AD. On the phone I'd have downloaded wikipedia and I'd use a fingerprint reader to lock it (no NSA in 1200AD). I'd make my way to a monastery, and claim a vivid god-given dream of the future, and the miraculous gift of this heavenly device and how to use it.

I'd leave text messages on the phone detailing that I'm the new jeebus or whatever. I'd warn of natural disasters and notable deaths, and eventually make my way to the King's counsel.

I'd convince them to store the device until 2000 and then release it to the world. At this point, it will be known what the device is but be obviously from the near future. Shit would go bananas as time travel is discovered and my name is forever remembered.

Shit like that
>>
>>58669016
Well if smart dust works out, we'll end up with more computing power in our dustbin than every existed at the time of the moon mission
>>
>>58674565
nobody would be able to understand your shitty degenerate modern English or even care for most of that generally useless information that meant nothing without the vast modern infrastructure and brainpower supporting it
>>
>>58674565
> 1200AD
Perfect time to be burned at the stake for heresy and dark magic.
>>
>>58669016

I really want to try something like QNX to know what a tiny yet usable kernel feels like.
>>
File: 1477873785887.gif (263KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477873785887.gif
263KB, 848x480px
>>58670065
>mfw computers were invented to store anime images
>>
>>58674653
>>58674697
This is why the monastery is so important. "God gave me this odd speech, he also said to protect me"

followed by

"God told me to get an audience with teh king"

You don't get burned at the stake if you're the earl of whatever
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.