[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

win xp to VHD to win7 vmware workstation win xp vm?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: virtualbox-vhd-256px.png (41KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
virtualbox-vhd-256px.png
41KB, 256x256px
Subjrct basically sums it up. I have an WinXPachine with some software that is no longer maintaned and i cant contact developers and i have only one license installed, cant install it again. So i thought to create Vhd and create winxp virtual machine on my new pc and just import the whole virtual drive? Is that possible?
>>
Any help?
>>
Also, if there is a better way to transfer my ancient OS to my new pc id like to hear it
>>
>Subjrct basically sums it up.
the title of that thread is atrocious. why are you rushing?

but I assume yes. if you can make an image of the HDD in a format vmware/virtualbox can read then why wouldn't it work?
Try it out.
>>
>>58669133
Alright, making it right now. Sorry, im using a phone. Do i make a VM and skip installing any OS on it and just mount my vhd?
>>
>>58669226
make a VM and load the image as your virtual HD.
>>
>>58669296
Ok, will do. Im making .vhd and not .vhdx, i guess i wont have problems?
>>
>>58669312
I'd use .vhd as it's more widely supported

>The big difference between VHD and VHDX is the way this expansion (disk size expansion in the article) is handled. In tests performed by others they have seen negligible difference in overhead with Dynamic VHDX volumes when they expand to accommodate additional data.
>You can easily convert your VHD volumes to VHDX and vise visa. As always, make a backup and make sure you have enough time allocated for the conversion. The larger the volume, the longer the conversion will take.

Go for .vhd and then change it if needed.
>>
>>58669378
Thanks bud
>>
>>58669430
np. Hope it works fine.
>>
>>58668887
at the very least, you are going to have some driver issues. The same kind of stuff you would have physically transplanting a boot drive from one machine to another without reinstalling.

This doesnt mean if wont work, but it is going to have issues that may be less than intuitive to solve.
>>
Use VMware converter and keep virtual hardware version old enough that is supports XP. You will not have any issues if you use VMware knowledge articles for P2V. And you are a faget also install Gento :D
>>
you realize you can get a copy of windows xp for free that is already activated and pos ready 2007
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.