[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which programming language should i start with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 12

File: download.png (5KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5KB, 231x218px
>>
Python or Java
>>
C
>>
Assembly
>>
dragon dildo
>>
start with perl
>>
>>58668723
I did Python and now i'm looking at C. I recommend this path.
>>
PL/I
>>
Java
>>
>>58668784
this. or tcl.
>>
>>58668766
Way to go.
>>
C
>>
Brainfuck
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>58668723
python
>>
>>58668766
>>58668824
I was thinking of starting with Python or C. There a lot of easily accessible resources for Python, but what about C?
>>
>>58668723
Python
>>
>>58668789
great path
>>
Pascal.

It's the easiest to learn and the Free Pascal compiler is great and free (duh).

It also isn't just a learning language, it has a lot of advanced features like object-orientation, procedural types, an entire RAD framework, etc.
>>
Haskell
>>
C and Python at the same time. You will learn what the differences are and which language is better for each job.

When you learn C then you move to C++
>>
Javascript
>>
>>58668723
depends what you wanna do (simialr to "what is the best programming language" etc...)
Just wanna get codining prolly object orientated? By far the best beginner's choice: Python
Want to learn how computers work (on a somewhat superficial level) and code really clean from the beginning. Also: It just does everything well: C
Want to go into functional programming? Well, some choices there, some like Haskell over OCamel, some say go fill Lisp - Stallman style.
If you have no clue what to do: Python
>>
File: 1485105571358.jpg (236KB, 1426x785px) Image search: [Google]
1485105571358.jpg
236KB, 1426x785px
>>
>>58668723
Why do you want to learn a programming language?
>>
>>58668962
Any book?
>>
>>58668723
Racket + SICP compatibility package.
Then C and Assembly when learning computer architecture.
Then Smalltalk to learn OOP.
>>
>>58668935
>but what about C?
Even more.

Pretty much every C library known to man has some kind of docs you can read about, specially the most used ones like ncurses.

Tutorials, books and guides a plenty for the language itself, aside from the K&R book I also recommend C Programming: A Modern Approach, by K. N. King.
>>
>>58668723
Spanish
>>
>>58668723 malbolge
>>
I would start off with assembly if you really want to know how a computer works.
>>
>>58669961
I agree. Its a good time
>>
>>58669975
Fuck off pajeet
>>
>>58669961
Most people will just quit, it's very good intro but the person needs to know some basic math tricks and understand binary & hex + able to calculate that shit.
And knowing about memory is pretty sweet.
>>
What's the best language to program aimbots? C?

What's the best language to make linux widgets? Java?
>>
Jython :^)
>>
>>58668723
html
>>
>>58668723
Microsoft Excel
>>
Learn the following
x86 (play for a month, you don't really need to know it inside out)
C (use it for 5months, try to learn the standard library in this time)
C++ (study this for a year, learn as much as you can but make sure you understand all the concepts of the langauge. Try to write some software)
Java (it will take you 4 months to learn it)
SQL(5 months of training should be enough)

You are now qualified to be a 60k code monkey
>>
>>58670043
>What's the best language to program aimbots? C?
there is a book called Game Hacking.
it teaches the basics of everything you need to know
>>
Swift
>>
C its good for you.
>>
>>58671060
>SQL 5 month
More like a weekend
>>
>>58671477
Banks take SQL very seriously.
They want people to have a text book knowledge of all the shit Oracle put into their SQL
>>
File: 1473422800319.webm (460KB, 350x188px) Image search: [Google]
1473422800319.webm
460KB, 350x188px
>>58671060
So we are looking at about 2 years?

What can I learn to give me a basic 35k a year job? Like bottom of the barrel thing that I can get into to just to get my feet wet.

I'd rather do it this way so in case if it's not for me then I wouldn't had wasted too much time.
>>
>>58671685

SQL+JAVA will give you an easy 40k
>>
is it realistically possible to learn assembly without knowing any other language?
>>
File: 1478284299007.png (2MB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
1478284299007.png
2MB, 1180x842px
>>58671711
Thank you.
>>
>>58671721
Yes, in fact, it's much to do so, compared to learning Assembly after knowing high level languages.
>>
>>58671721
yes.
Since assembly is so low level it helps you learn higher level languages as you would intuitively understand what they do under the hood.

I can teach you assembly in this post if you want

CPU has places inside it that are called A, B, C
A, B, C can hold values
A, B, C can have calculations done on the values like in a calculator
for example to move the value 2 into A you write:
MOVE A 2
The value of two is moved into A, to add two to A you would write
ADD A 2
Now the value inside of A is 4

Congratulations you now know 30% of assembly
>>
>>58671799
much easier*
>>
>>58668723
Python

Javascript is more useful but has enough strange parts it's better to leave it for later

>>58668766
>/g/ memes
C has no practical value in 2017 outside of certain niches which beginners don't get involved with anyway
>>
>>58671799
can you explain why?
>>58671804
i know some assemby syntaxis because i've been playing TIS-100 which uses a simplified version of asm
>>
>>58671830
>recommends python
>claims C has no practical value
>python
>not Java

How does it make you feel to be retarded?
How does it make you feel to form your /tech/ opinions from a anime site?

>>58671799
This. after doing object oriented programming for over 2 years I had a very hard time grasping that there are literally no rules in assembly and everything is done by convention
>>
File: 1478975333639.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1478975333639.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
>>58671804
>I still didn't get it.
>>
>>58671876
Python is easier to learn than Java, and both are widely used in academia and industry for all sorts of projects. (Java is more common, but Python is a decent runner up)

C is more difficult and introduces more concepts at once than either. And I'm right - there is no reason to use C outside of kernel hacking, writing drivers, graphics programming, etc, and beginners don't do those things.

If I formed my tech opinions from an anime site, I'd tell OP to use some obscure variant of Lisp.
>>
>>58668723
Pee aych pee
>>
>>58671804
Say my knowledge of computers is pretty much nil, is it a bad idea to start learning assembly right off the bat? Basically, going by what another anon said I should be learning binary and hexadecimal first. Is there anything else I should read up on before diving in?
>>
>>58672028
You can screw around with it if you want

Really the most important thing is to pick something that keeps your interest
>>
learn kotlin ;-)
>>
Assembly > C or COBOL > Java

You'll actually understand what you're doing then
>>
I always recommend Python. It's easy to pick up, doesn't need to be compiled, and requires less code to get things done.
>>
>>58671869
>Python is easier to learn than Java,
C is easier to learn than both and gives the programmer a good foundation.
>both are widely used in academia and industry for all sorts of projects.
I assumed OP was a NEET trying to learn programming.
NEETs can learn Java and get into a basic job in a year.
Python is used in projects that require 5+ years of experience which are not offered to the plebs

>C is more difficult and introduces more concepts at once than either.
I disagree Python introduces the concept of "EVERYTHING IS AN OBJECT" which is gibberish to a newb
Python also hides the type system which makes newb programmers annoyed and confused as to why "123" is not the same as 123
C introduces a good foundation that every programmer must know in order to get anywhere. trying to hide the type system to reduce the number of keywords the programmer needs to remember may work for scientists
who just need to glue together math functions with some logic but its horrible for a person that wants to learn programming.

>And I'm right - there is no reason to use C outside of kernel hacking, writing drivers, graphics programming, etc, and beginners don't do those things
That is not the point. C is useful because it teaches the programmer the low level concepts of the language so that they have a solid foundation to stand on when learning something new
A programmer that learned Python first will have a harder time learning a second language compared to a programmer that learned C first
>>
>>58672046
>pick something that keeps your interest
I can say this is really good advice.
If you cant stand studying Assembly for more than an hour pick up something else that can keep your attention.
Its better to study anything over not studying at all.
>>
So I know nothing about programming or the job market, but from the thread it seems like if I'm a beginner who wants to try to learn a programming language to get work I should start with C or Java?
>>
>>58671935
C is easier to learn than almost anything else because it's simple.
It's just harder to write for most people because it requires you to put a bit of thought into the structure of your program and your data structures.
It's a good language to learn first
>>
>>58672075
>C is easier to learn than both
Python has a REPL and you can do basic stuff immediately. Both have a much better standard library.

>gives the programmer a good foundation.
To its utterly bizzare type system ("type system") and memory management most other languages don't require.

>I assumed OP was a NEET trying to learn programming.
>NEETs can learn Java and get into a basic job in a year.
>Python is used in projects that require 5+ years of experience which are not offered to the plebs
It's being used more and more in other places, but I do agree that Java is the best path to getting a quick job.

>I disagree Python introduces the concept of "EVERYTHING IS AN OBJECT" which is gibberish to a newb
newbs don't have to know what any of that shit means, unlike in C, where they have to know how the type system and memory work.

Once they do, "everything is an object" is more straightforward than C's type system.

>Python also hides the type system which makes newb programmers annoyed and confused as to why "123" is not the same as 123
That's not confusing. Something with quotes around it is text. Easy.

>C introduces a good foundation that every programmer must know in order to get anywhere.
See above.

>trying to hide the type system to reduce the number of keywords the programmer needs to remember may work for scientists
>who just need to glue together math functions with some logic but its horrible for a person that wants to learn programming.
>That is not the point. C is useful because it teaches the programmer the low level concepts of the language so that they have a solid foundation to stand on when learning something new
You don't need any of that to get started.

1/2
>>
>>58671477
>web developer

You're the reason websites are so fucking slow. Fuck you. You're fucking garbage.
>>
>>58672075
>A programmer that learned Python first will have a harder time learning a second language compared to a programmer that learned C first
Yes and no. People who started with C and then dabble in higher level languages tend to write horrible higher level code (they don't use iterators, built-in data structures, higher level functions or any sort of functional programming...)

Better to learn to think about things conceptually - in terms of data structures and control flow - than about things you only need to care about in C, or once you start getting into heavy duty performance tuning, etc

>>58672142
C isn't simple, it's extremely convoluted. Segmentation faults, character strings and the old and busted standard library alone are nasty newb traps.
>>
>>58672130
If your aim is to get a job ASAP, either Java or the front-end web stack (HTML/CSS/Javascript)

C jobs are legacy or experts only
>>
>>58672188
I agree with your first statement.
I managed to cut down a persons bash script from 100 lines of code to 5 by looking at the commands he was executing and using their built in flags to do the processing instead of relying on loops and if statements

that being said its also a lot slower to reference the docs every time you write a line of code
>>
>>58672188
>C isn't simple, it's extremely convoluted.
It's as simple as it gets. It's syntaxically simple, and conceptually simple as well (it doesn't try to do magic). Having worked with beginners, I'd say the main ""difficulty"" with C is learning about pointers. The rest is as easy as it gets.

>Segmentation faults
Forces you to reason about your program. Not fundamentally different from a NullPointerException, or whatever Python uses.

>character strings
Work fine in C. Beginners don't need to write safe/critical code, so it's OK for them to be vulnerable to buffer-overflow. Simplicity over correctness, when you're starting.

>old and busted standard library
Meaning you have to write your own code if you want to do something more complicated, instead of relying on language magic. This leads to a better understanding of computers, for a beginner.
>>
>>58672199
>or the front-end web stack (HTML/CSS/Javascript)
>he thinks he wont be forced to learn 20+ apis that will be replaced in 5 years when browsers agree to just be sandboxed app streamers
>>
>>58672292
Front-end is a clusterfuck but that in no way refutes my post.
>>
>>58672292
>he thinks that matters to a beginner
>>
>>58672283
>I'd say the main ""difficulty"" with C is learning about pointers
If you manage to drill the concept of int* being a int pointer type and not an int it really helps people understand
the people who made the pointer syntax did not really think it out.
>>
>>58668723
C/C++ or Go. Java and Python are fine too. Everything else sucks to learn because they're too heavily abstracted.
>>
>>58672325
>the people who made the pointer syntax did not really think it out.

It's also difficult for a beginner to understand that
>`int *i;` declares a pointer
>`*i` dereferences a pointer--the exact opposite operation
>`&i` create a pointer to the value

And if you're doing C++, it's even worse, since you have to include references too. And then
>`int& i;` declares a reference

So many people in my cohort didn't understand those, even after 1 year of C++ programming.
>>
>>58672325
They thought it out, you just don't understand what C is. It's a systems language. Go do Java or Ruby and sip lattes
>>
>>58670034
Don't start with assembly. It's vital to know eventually, but don't start there.
>>
>>58672283
>It's as simple as it gets. It's syntaxically simple, and conceptually simple as well (it doesn't try to do magic). Having worked with beginners, I'd say the main ""difficulty"" with C is learning about pointers. The rest is as easy as it gets.
Anything to do with pointers (especially function pointers) isn't simple (See >>58672381). String manipulation isn't simple.

>Forces you to reason about your program.
So does Brainfuck's syntax: that shit just does not apply to other languages.

>Not fundamentally different from a NullPointerException, or whatever Python uses.
I was really tempted to stop reading your post here (you've obviously never used Python and don't have any understanding of the language)

>Work fine in C. Beginners don't need to write safe/critical code, so it's OK for them to be vulnerable to buffer-overflow. Simplicity over correctness, when you're starting.
Aside from any performance benefits, they're an inferior design, and much less simple

>Meaning you have to write your own code if you want to do something more complicated, instead of relying on language magic. This leads to a better understanding of computers, for a beginner.
Having a built-in sort function or dictionary class isn't "magic", and it's more important for beginners to understand how to do things at a high level than hand-code their own data structures.

If you're going to be a purist about things that don't impact the vast majority of programmers, why not assembly?
>>
>>58672199
Thanks for the advice. What would you recommend tackling first out of those two?
>>
File: 902308-predator-003.jpg (114KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
902308-predator-003.jpg
114KB, 600x600px
Golang. All other languages are garbage by comparison. It's is like the fucking programming language apex predator.
>>
>>58672387
people like you are the reason COBOL is a thing
>>
>>58672387
C was a rushed together hack job, it won because UNIX spread quickly, even the creators admit this
>>
>>58672415
Tough to say, probably Java
>>
>>58672442
Keep telling yourself that while I laugh at you as your code runs 1000x slower than mine IRL. C has shit internet compatibility and most coders are stupid and lazy. It (along with Fortran) is still used heavily in scientific programming because it's fast. It's used in the Unreal engine because it's fast. It's used in financial and medical applications because it's fucking fast.

That's why Go is pretty much the best of any modern languages.I assume you think using CSS stylsheets is coding so you probably won't like it and its amazing quickness and robust feature set though Guess what language it takes its cues from? Spoilers, not fucking ruby or some hippie bullshit language. Golang rules all.
>>
>>58672403
>don't impact the vast majority of programmers
In order to write efficient programs, you need to understand what the computer actually does. C gives you that understanding. Python, on the other hand, does not.

I would argue that understanding fundamentals is much more useful. A programmer who's only done C can pick up Python, and write efficient code. A programmer who's only done Python can't pick up C (or Java, or C++) and write efficient code.

This is exactly what's going on with a friend of mine. He's been programming in Ruby since he was 13, and I've been programming in C since I was 13. Any Ruby code he writes is fine--but any C++ (or performance-critical ruby) he writes is dogshit. He doesn't take performance into account ever, because he doesn't understand what operations are costly.
>>
>>58672503
>In order to write efficient programs, you need to understand what the computer actually does
Again: this doesn't impact the vast majority of programmers, and it certainly doesn't impact beginners.

>I would argue that understanding fundamentals is much more useful. A programmer who's only done C can pick up Python, and write efficient code. A programmer who's only done Python can't pick up C (or Java, or C++) and write efficient code.
Read the thread

>This is exactly what's going on with a friend of mine. He's been programming in Ruby since he was 13, and I've been programming in C since I was 13. Any Ruby code he writes is fine--but any C++ (or performance-critical ruby) he writes is dogshit. He doesn't take performance into account ever, because he doesn't understand what operations are costly.
Algorithmic complexity, the core determiner of performance, is something you can learn in any language - and is easier in a higher level language, because iteration between experiments is faster, the syntax is nicer, and the tools are provided for you.

Things like caching and paging are also important, but C hides those from you too!
>>
>>58672613
haven't taken it myself but probably
>>
>>58672613
>i don't want to be a real programmer
>i just want to be able to hack some shit together to get stuff done
bash/python scripting
>>
>>58668935
Well, C's been around for about 40 years so there might be some sort of info on it to be found
>>
>>58672576
While I mostly agree:

>C hides those from you too!
No it doesn't. The design of all operating systems worth a shit does, C doesn't have the ability to expose that to you and never has done.
>>
>>58670043
Just go play CSGO and people will give you aimbots.
Wall hacks are free also
>>
>>58672675
>The design of all operating systems worth a shit does, C doesn't have the ability to expose that to you and never has done.
I think we agree. I know _why_ C doesn't expose it to you (just didn't elaborate in my post), but it still doesn't expose it.
>>
>not using the comfort of linux for web browsing and superiority of windows for all your real development work
>>
>>58671804
Sadly this is true
>>
>>58672715
>not just using os x for both
>>
File: 0.png (299KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
299KB, 1280x1024px
>>58672715
>>
>>58672714
It can't.
>>
>>58672745
I know.
>>
>>58668723

I strongly advise that you go for a language that has an REPL, which means you don't have to save & compile your source code every goddamn time you want to see the results of your code. Python is one of the most popular languages in that regard, not to mention that the language can be useful in a lot of domains.

Some people might push for Lisp or Haskell as the first lang, but it's a double edged sword.
>>
>>58671903
You want a textbook on it? I have a bunch. I'll toss it on zippyshare or something
>>
>>58668723
C# just because it does not teach bad habits and while being very versatile at the same time. Don't listen to people that tell you otherwise. Definitely don't start with Java..
>>
>>58672857
I advise the opposite. I don't think REPL matters desu. Python, C/C++, Java.

Those are your choices OP, pick one. I say go C, but any are fine. Get Deitel & Deitel. All will be revealed.
>>
>>58672867
C# and Java at an intro level may as well be the same language. I would start w/Java though over C#. More intro educational materials. Or learn both. They're not enormously dissimilar.
>>
>>58672501
>Using Go seriously
>Not programming in ruby, then optimizing the slow parts with C extensions
>Learning a new language instead of just going with good ol' trusty C and the comfiness of ruby
>>
>>58672900
Ruby is dead, grandpa
>>
>>58672867
C# is currently the more advanced, more powerful and more well developed language and better well thought from engineering point of view. Java is not only a dying language (it's staying alive so far because it's a massive meme in big companies) but also teaches a lot of bad habits.
>>
>>58672900
Try Hugo. You will see the light. Golang is the second coming of true systems level programming. It is so beautiful.
>>
>>58672922
>Java is not only a dying language
If only.
>>
>>58672905
>Go is dead
>Rust is dead
>D is dead
>Java is dead
>C# is dead
>C is dead
>C++ is dead
>Python is dead
>Perl is dead
>Erlang is dead
>Haskell is dead
>Scala is dead
>Clojure is dead
>Lua is dead

The only non-dead language is javascript. Long live javascript.
>>
>>58672954
Of that list, only Perl and Scala are dead. D was never really alive to begin with.
>>
>>58672939
It is dead. Seriously, who the fuck outside of goddamn shittyass Minecruft uses Java any more? Companies don't even use that shit, they use C#/Python/Rust.
>>
>>58672939
Well yes, it's very alive right now but that won't be for long. It's the sheer power of popularity and memes that keep it alive. Also it seems to be the comfy zone of code monkeys, which are high in demand these days.
>>
>>58672922
There are hordes of pajeets praying to the god of java for their 60k/hour jobs. They will never abandon Java as they don't understand technology. they understand status and that is it. Java is a "professional" language and that is why they will use it.
it is also why /g/ hates it
>>
>>58673032
Try getting news from places other than /r/programming and Hacker News.
>>
>>58673051
You mean real life?

Yeah, java is dead.

Try getting news from places other than 4chan and your horribly out of touch college professor ranting that java is the greatest thing ever, like mine that ranted that pascal was.
>>
>>58673095
Most medium-large companies have massive Java codebases and do almost everything in Java
>>
>>58673112
None that I've seen. They've moved on to decent fucking languages that aren't slow as fuck for anything more complicated than a dirt-simple program (which explains why Java can be "fast" at simple benchmarks).
>>
>>58668766
/thread
>>
>>58668723
So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
http://www.learn-c.org/

For C++:
http://www.learncpp.com/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
http://en.cppreference.com/
https://isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
http://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.
>>
>>58668751
This
>>
>>58668723
Boku no Pico
>>
File: 1481772562506.gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1481772562506.gif
3MB, 500x500px
So what language can guarantee me a career?
>>
>>58673955
So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And no, you will not be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, (with CSS and HTML.)

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Master the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. Real programmers point to this language.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying sssoftware engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.
>>
>>58673972
thanks, anon. is a degree necessary? because i fucked up in uni and can't go back so i'm going to be self taught. will that be a problem to companies?
>>
>>58674002
>necessary
No, but important when you and some other fellow are both applying for a position, and the other guy has a degree and you do not.

Being able to prove your programming skills is the most important factor, along with proving that you are not a psychopath who will murder your colleagues if they dislike your preferred brand of mayonnaise. Companies will hire the more skilled (and less psycho) candidate, but will go for the degree if two candidates are otherwise equal.
>>
>>58674033
i see. one more question then i'll fuck off. just started learning python and the post you typed said to stick to one. wouldn't be faster if i just went straight into C/C++ or Java? i just don't want to waste time working on one language that will probably get me nowhere.
>>
>>58674108
You have to know what a wheel is, before you drive a car.
>>
If you don't start with C you're basically doing it wrongly.

Starting with any of higher level languages means that you'll learn how to do things in a higher level and won't be able to do them properly when you need to later.

It's the same thing as learning how to drive cars driving an automatic, you'll have a hard time driving a manual afterwards if you do it.

If you learn it driving a manual though, you will also learn how to drive an automatic.

Start with C, then if you want to learn OOP you go with C++. If for whatever reason you need any other language afterwards you'll already have a solid base in writing algorithms and the switch will merely be a syntax switch.

From an electrical engineer, you're welcome.
>>
File: 1482561468572.jpg (80KB, 708x847px) Image search: [Google]
1482561468572.jpg
80KB, 708x847px
>>58674127
shit, man. thanks for the tips. now gotta bust my ass, learning and coding
>>
>>58668723
vhdl
>>
>>58674033
Or they would hire both.
>>
>>58674152
Best of luck anon. Hope you make it.
>>
>>58668751
>Python or Java

This (or D or F# or Haskell)
>>
>>58668784
ahahahaaha
>>
>>58668723
What do you want to make?

Choose the language best suited for that and learn it by making what you want to make.
>>
File: 1439898490978.png (253KB, 499x383px) Image search: [Google]
1439898490978.png
253KB, 499x383px
Alright /g/

What's the most autistic language that I can learn. I will dedicate MY LIFE to this one autistic language and refuse to learn anything else, of course I won't try and get a job with this but I will shitpost about it relentlessly
>>
>>58675092
Haskell
Or APL
>>
File: 1441624176625.jpg (24KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1441624176625.jpg
24KB, 500x385px
>>58675129
I remember Haskell being called the gentoo of programming.

Very well I shall commence with the autism reconditioning. Are there any buzz words I should memorize to go with this?
>>
>>58675170
"In Haskell, it's just..."
After you learn Haskell, go to /dpt/ threads, and convert long pieces of code into small Haskell expressions, since it's a truly ppwerful tool which no one knows.
>>
>>58671876
What?

There are abs rules push pop the stack etc its absolute jmp
>>
>>58674202
Haskell is actually pretty great. i didn't get recursion until i had a look at Haskell. Suddenly everything clicked and it was easy.
>>
>>58675092
Lisp or Erlang might also be good choices if you want to constantly nag about everything and go on other peoples nerves.
>>
Lisp is easy for a beginner to understand. According to John McCarthy, you only need to know these primitives:
atom
car
cdr
cons
eq

Eventually he added these to the list:
cond
label
lambda

So a beginner only needs to remember 9 things to build a complete Lisp implementation. Compare that to something like Haskell.
>>
>>58668723
dont just "learn code"
find a project or something you are passionate about and find the best format to create it in

its a much better way and has a higher success rate
>>
>>58668723
C is a good one to start with because it's an excellent language, and makes you aware of all the gritty stuff of programming which other languages make look like *magic*. Also, C's syntax is pretty easy to get a grasp of, so it's not a difficult language to learn.

Also once you get a good hold of C you can transition into C++ which is not all that different semantically or syntactically. Similarly, you'll find that other languages are quite similar to it in many ways.

If all you want are meme languages try javascript, python, go, swift, rust, objective-c, haskell, etc.
>>
Is javascript hard to learn? How do I start?
>>
>>58668723
Cobol
>>
>>58676393
By learning Lisp and using a Lisp->JS transpiler.
>>
C if you're planning on learning more languages down the line

Python if you just want to learn one language.
>>
>>58668723
Punch cards
>>
Pascal
>>
Is there some generally accepted SQL book that's considered the best for getting into whole database world?
>>
>>58668938
>>58668935
>>58668921

I agree . Start with python. It's the best language to start with just to learn the terminology. What is a data structure? What is an algorithm? What is complexity? etc etc. It has all paradigms and is fairly type safe without fucking your mind up with data types.

I used to believe that everyone should start with declarative languages or functional languages first, because otherwise they would never start with those. But I have learned that Python gives people a pleasant impression of programming itself, and most people seem to think its easy too.

So yeah, Python is probably the best first language, in my opinion. Atleast amongst the imperative languages (since these will be the ones you will most likely use in your jobs).
>>
Some Calculus -> Basic Physics 1 (Mechanics) -> Some Vector Calculus -> Basic Physics 2 (EM) -> Some Linear Algebra -> Basic Electronics -> Basic Computer Organization/Architecture with C and Assembly -> SICP for the lulz -> OOP with Smalltalk, because why not? -> Basic Operating System -> Basic Compilers

These are the minimum. ML is a fad.
>>
>recommending babby tier languages like python
Start with something more difficult, you'll just lose motivation once you move from python to a real programming language and have to do everything by hand that python did for you.
>>
>>58672971
>Perl is dead
nice meme
>>
>>58673972
Hey, I've been trying to learn Javascript so I can make web-games, but the books I've come across so far have done nothing but confuse the fuck out of me.One example is Eloquent JavaScript. Do you know any other books and/or tutorials that are simpler to grasp for a complete novice?

I'd google it myself but everyone and their mothers give rather conflicting answers.
>>
I learned the basics of C ( wrote linked lists for example) and now Ive been studying Python for a month now but I want to learn JAVA.

how do I know when it's time to push back Python and pick up JAVA?
>>
The easiest and most profitable language to start with is javascript
>>
>>58668723
True Basic.
>>
C++ STL
>>
>>58668723
C
>>
>>58674143
in which field do you work in EE? how much do you make (country?)? Graduating next semester and really want to see the ballpark im moving.

how good did you finish uni (if you went the uni way)?

>pls respond
>>
>>58671060
Can you recommend places to learn about SQL stuff like joins, subqueries, correlated subqueries and views? All about those complex 'if not exist' stacked three or four times? Thanks.
>>
>>58683433

i like w3schools
>>
>>58668723
C - if you want to learn the "hard way" (it's actually easy)
Scheme - if you have more of an interest in computer science itself
Haskell - if you really like abstract math
Assembly - if you want to start the old way (the little man computer is a good place to start)
Forth - if you like stacks a lot
R - statistics
Java - if.you.like.very.verbose.function.names.like.this.one()
Js - if you want to be a webdev and like pain

Guess that's enough of a list.
I started with C when I was around 14 and started learning Scheme at 16, Haskell at 17, ect...
Just start with one closest to your end goal unless your goal is to learn as many as you can... then I guess you can start anywhere
>>
File: 1485294389735.jpg (235KB, 816x635px) Image search: [Google]
1485294389735.jpg
235KB, 816x635px
>>58673032
>implying a non-failing startup or established company uses Rust

Found a faggoty snow flake!
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.