[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a house out in the country. Are there any good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

I just bought a house out in the country. Are there any good internet options in rural areas or are they all as shit as they appear?

There's a really shitty DSL provider for $30 that gives blazing fast speeds of 6mb/s down and has a reputation for going out all the time and terrible customer service, satellite for ten times the price and only twice the speed plus the latency that comes with satellite.

The only option that seems like it has the potential to be good is a WISP, where they mount a dish to my house that would point at a tower 5 miles away. It's expensive too but supposedly has speeds in the 15mb/s range (which is still garbage compared to what I'm used to) but it's also expensive. No idea how reliable it is because I've never used it.

Any rural anons have any advice on what, if any of these work halfway decently?
>>
They're all shit.
>>
>>58665165
Just moved out of a rural area and the best advice I can give is to find something somewhat local.

My ISP was one that only operated in the area I lived. While speed was absolute trash the network was consistent and issues were taken care of quickly. If you can deal with downloading things at night (or whenever you sleep) it isn't the worst.

However if you have a family then bandwidth is so small it hurts.
>>
>>58665239
What type of connection did you have?
>>
Sounds like you got money, have the local ISP run a "business" class line out to your home.

I do live in a rural area, but we have access to gigabit internet out here, so...
>>
Know some people out there and ISP's are hit and miss. For example I have t-mobile and they have verizon. Hotspot on their phone is capable of 4G and mine is 2G and barely usable, both all day.
>>
>>58665283
There's a golf course close to my house. I'll probably go ask them if they've done something similar
>>
File: mX7Bpr_v5qiDWo4GLP4GVgw.jpg (6KB, 225x176px) Image search: [Google]
mX7Bpr_v5qiDWo4GLP4GVgw.jpg
6KB, 225x176px
>>58665256
It was satellite, but not the big one you were describing. Similar to the one pictured here. Ping was decent and I could stream 1080p 60fps if nobody else was using the internet.

Also there were no data caps or anything like what a number of large providers have for rural areas.
>>
>>58665347
Can you play online games decently with it? I was playing dayz with a friend a few days before I moved and he was at his parents for the weekend, and he could barely play due to the ping
>>
>>58665468
Yeah I could play DayZ just fine, DOTA, pretty much whatever my friends were playing but it was impossible to play anything if someone was on netflix or any streaming service. If you are alone it is fine for one person, but not a family.
>>
>>58665658
Cool I'll look into it then. Any data caps? Several that I've looked at do, as have a few WISPs.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.