[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheapest usable MacBook?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_utQ7lTTf.jpg (56KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
4L_utQ7lTTf.jpg
56KB, 600x400px
Macfags of /g/

After using Android as my mobile OS of choice since the very first Android phone, I decided to try something new and bought an iPhone SE when I switched carriers last week. I'm enjoying it so much that I'm considering buying a Mac.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm going to like it as much as I do the iPhone, so I'm looking for a minimum investment. What's the cheapest Intel MacBook that will still run reasonably well today? Like basic web browsing, YouTube, watching movies, etc. I'm not really into gaming so that's not a huge concern, and the screen doesn't have to be huge, I can live with 11-13".

Just trying to spend as little as possible while entering the Apple ecosystem until I'm sure I'm going to like it. If I do, then I'll probably buy the newest mbp that isn't just a tiny incremental upgrade from the last.
>>
If you buy second hand, the sky's the limit. I wouldn't buy anything from before 2012 though.
>>
I'm using an early 2011 MacBook with SSD and i7 (probably upgraded at some point). It's working quite well despite being busted here and there (the previous owner didn't take good care of it). With Mini-DP and a modern display it feels snappy and modern.
>>
>>58665120
anything from 2010 forward, just make sure you get at least 4GB of RAM and be prepared to install an SSD. a white 2010 macbook runs about $200-$250 these days
>>
File: macbook2010.png (97KB, 700x447px) Image search: [Google]
macbook2010.png
97KB, 700x447px
>>58665214
i took this picture ages ago (it runs Sierra great) but just for reference
>>
core2duo is still good
>>
>>58665214
>>58665229
also since i was setting this up for my mother i left the 5400rpm in, if your usage is really light it may be fine for you as well
>>
>>58665160
I'm definitely buying secondhand. I'm frugal as fuck, because the one thing my family drilled into my head growing up was "you don't live comfortably by spending all of your money", so I always buy into a new hobby or interest at the lowest point that I can while still getting an adequate feel for it, then resell my stuff and move on if I hate it and move up if I don't. Apple products seem to hold their value pretty well which is promising.
>>
>>58665120
I think the cheapest new retina 13" runs about $1400, but as others have said refurb is much much better if you are looking for cheap. I think apple still sells the non-retina MBPs with the HDD for $1200 but those are shit.
>>
>>58665272
I would go for a 2013 13" retina MBP. Macs haven't really evolved after them and their prices shouldn't be too bad right now.
>>
>>58665214
Thanks!

Do they require a special type of drive, or will a standard 2.5" laptop drive suffice? I have a really nice hybrid drive as a second drive in my laptop just for my Linux install, but if I get a Mac there won't really be many things I do on Linux that I can't do just as well on a Mac so I'll probably just slap in my hybrid drive in it. 7200 rpm 750GB HDD and 250GB SSD all in one drive
>>
Thanks a lot, kind anons. I must've found the time when the children are in school in the USA and asleep elsewhere, because you guys have been a tremendous help and I've never seen such a pleasant, civil response like this.

Again, thank you all!
>>
I still have my black Macbook from 2008. I wish I could make it run today's shit, even for browsing.
>>
>>58665378
You could also make a hackintosh if you want to tinker with the OS and shit.
>>
>>58665120
Anything from 2012.
Gen three i5/i7.

Don't buy a 2010 or 2011, you will regret it, the 2012 line costs the same.
>>
>>58665583
No!

Hackintosh is not worth it, specially for portable use, it's literary shitting on everything that makes a MBP and macOS great.
>>
>>58665149

related, I have the 2010 and am very satisfied still
>>
>>58665636
>core 2 duo
nope
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.