[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there no programming languages for analog computers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: TrueNorth.jpg (7KB, 200x197px) Image search: [Google]
TrueNorth.jpg
7KB, 200x197px
Why are there no programming languages for analog computers?
>>
>>58663842
how would that even work ?
>>
>>58663873
It needs to work. Turing machines are too stupid to get any further than driving your car.

Signals can be described by differential equations, so I guess it would be like some kind of math.
>>
>>58663907
>Turing machines are too stupid to get any further than driving your car.
what ?

>Signals can be described by differential equations, so I guess it would be like some kind of math.
but how would programming without digital logic work ?
>>
>>58663964
Instead of turning things off and on, you change voltages, resistances, and amperage. It's variable, not discrete.
>>
>>58663991
thats not the point.
try writing a conditional statement without using binary logic.
>>
>>58664022
Semiconductors, for example.
>>
>>58664101
Why would it have to have binary logic? There is more than one way to process information.

Programming languages don't have to be digital.
>>
>>58664101
just try to formulate a conditional statement without using binary logic and post it.
>>
>>58663842
You mean COBOL on punchcards?
>>
>>58664131
If you keep shitpoisting, I might ban you.
>>
>>58664158
too hard for you to write an if statement ?
>>
>>58664022
What is thresholding?
>>
>>58663842
What is VHDL-AMS ;)
>>
>>58664180
>continues to insist on digital logic

>totally missing the point that "might" exemplifies variable analog computing

>is a massive cuck faggot bitch boy and is proud of it
>>
>>58664202
It looks like assembly. Painful to use.
>>
>>58664131
Try fuzzy Sets and logic.
>>
>>58664191
ofc you can build analog circuits, but if you want to program them and communicate with them you need to convert the analog signals to discrete values
>>
>>58664256
What is sample and hold?
>>
>>58664131
>I don't know how transistors work
>>
>>58663842
Because it would be difficult to replicate a program since analog signals are prone to lots of noise and interference because changes on the source, envrionment or materials used to carry the signal. It's not practical.
>>
>>58664120
Nigger you are literally talking about quantum computing.

Why can't we build a computer this way, using voltage, resistance, and current flow you ask? Because there are so many factors that affect these qualities it would be borderline impossible.

Every single semiconductor, passive component, and even bit of wire have some level of variance and some margin of error. To account for all the properties at play you would have to measure each component to the fucking t as well as account for temperature change. Beyond that, no matter how much buffering and filtering you introduce, each compoment's function will affect the fuction of many others in circuit in some way, as well as the relative voltage, resistance, and current within the circuit.

There exist some very basic examples, but ultimately it's just too convoluted to be in any way a realistic choice.

Also, this still isn't programming. Programming is an abstraction, an analog computer would rely on a set gate control scheme on a hardware level. That in itself would be absurdly complex.
>>
>>58664227
>assembly
>painful to use
brainlet detected
>>
>>58664228
this, but it will be very hard to program
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.