[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bed Bugs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: B0E6rxB2.jpg (53KB, 625x498px) Image search: [Google]
B0E6rxB2.jpg
53KB, 625x498px
I am receiving a Thinkpad today in the mail. What are the chances of it containing bed bugs? What would be the best way to check and eliminate them?
I do not want to infest my home, bed bugs are the worst pieces of shit on this Earth.
>>
>>58661323
> What are the chances of it containing bed bugs?
Asking the right questions.
Well, you see, Thinkpads are enterprise laptops. I don't think there's a big chance it was at somebody's house before.
>>
>>58661323
Why would bed bugs hide in a laptop in the first place? They want blood every night and they are slow, not to mention the heat inside the shit.
>>
>>58661323
I've never heard of this, but i bought a shitty gaymurr rig from craiglist to scrap for parts and the GPU (A gtx 460 if i remember correctly...) had a removable fan for cleaning. I took out the fan and 25+ stinkbugs flew out. I never trusted a used computer again, and definitely wouldn't buy used furniture
>>
File: typical thinkpad user.png (51KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
typical thinkpad user.png
51KB, 200x195px
>>58661323
Depends where it was. Was it a corporate seller?

If it was an individual, it might have been this guy in which case there's a decent chance.
>>
>>58661323
Put it in the freezer for 4 days.
>>
>>58661693
>>58661752
True I was thinking the same. It seems to a corporate seller because it is from a Ebay, and the dude seems to sell electronics.

>>58661732
>>58661709
I was in a bed bug thread once in /g/
Someone bought a Thinkpad and it was fucking filled with them if I remember correctly.
Bed bugs will literally hide anywhere. Used computers are known for having bugs in them.

>>58661788
Rather not. Would probably create moisture when I take it out, and have it in the warm air of the house.
>>
>>58661323
Open it up and look inside? Do it outside of your home. Shouldn't take that long.
>>
>>58662162
Sounds like a good idea. Never worked on a Thinkpad. Do I have to take the whole thing apart? Or just a few of the places like where the RAM and HDD is.
>>
>>58661693
The whole point of giving employees laptops is so you can keep them working even when they go home
>>
>>58661709
Alot of bedbug cases are caused by library books. The fuckers hide in between pages. Supposedly they can survive a year without feeding. I purposely let spiders and house centipedes live when i see them because they are predators of bedbugs.
>>
The safest way is to put the laptop in a vacuum package and suck out all the air. Bedbugs even in hinernation will die without oxygen. The laptop will also not ne harmed. The eggs i dont know about though. Do eggs of any creature need oxygen to grow?
>>
Just make sure you buy from a refurbished computer place and not some random gentooman
>>
been a hotel manager for almost a decade, laptops are bedbug magnets. if you ever stay at a hotel with your laptop and your room has bugs just throw that fucker away
>>
>>58662314
How about macbooks? Can bedbugs die from the aids/hiv they get from mac users blood?
>>
>>58662314
Or you could just use your laptop and not leave it sitting alone and always pack it in an airtight container/bag.
>>
>>58662183
Depends on the model
>>
i've never heard of this phenomenon before. are there any images/ sources?
>>
>>58662764
https://www.wired.com/2014/06/what-do-you-do-about-bed-bugs-in-your-laptop/

etc
>>
>>58662479
X220
>>
>>58662285
>>58662347
That sounds like an excellent idea actually.
But if the eggs don't die then it would be pointless.

>>58662301
Nope not a random gentooman.

>>58662314
Thanks for the info. But then again the bed bugs can get in your clothes and your suit case.
>>
File: Panic Button.jpg (17KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
Panic Button.jpg
17KB, 240x180px
>This thread
>I went on a business trip last week
>>
File: likeaboss.jpg (22KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
likeaboss.jpg
22KB, 236x354px
>>58661323
Holy shit, are you me? I am getting an x220 i7 with IPS today as well.

I'm fucking terrified that someone has put something in there that will fuck with my livelihood that I can't see. Some kind of device, or some kind of parasite. What if they have a disease that can survive shipping like that? This is my first time buying something used off of the internet, usually I only buy from amazon and select stores. I am freaking out right now.

D-don't bully me.
>>
>>58661323
> being American
> getting bed bugs by mail
>>
>>58661323

Gas it in a plastic bag overnight.
>>
>>58663323
Nah nobody is gonna put anything on purpose mate, you'll be good in that case.
The worst that can happen is bed bugs, which is why I made this thread.
Funny enough the one I am getting today is a X220 as well, haha.

ALSO please do a clean install of Windows, or whatever OS you want to use. There can be hidden malware.

>>58663370
Gas?

>>58663327
Can happen in any country.

>>58663188
Did you stay at a pos motel?
>>
>>58661323
>I am receiving a Thinkpad today in the mail. What are the chances of it containing bed bugs?
I was going to call this a bait thread but then I thought about it.

In practice, bed bugs are rare but a laptop is somewhere they could conceivably hide, if it's left on or near the bed. They don't move far from the bed but laptops can be used on the bed and left on the bedside table overnight, or turned off (still warm) and left on the bed when the door is shut and the room is dark.

It could happen but the odds are very, very low.

Just put a plug in the bath and open it up in there, check around the heatsink and battery. They'll be pretty obvious if they're there.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

"Bed bugs can exist singly, but tend to congregate once established. Though strictly parasitic, they spend only a tiny fraction of their lifecycles physically attached to hosts. Once a bed bug finishes feeding, it relocates to a place close to a known host, commonly in or near beds or couches in clusters of adults, juveniles, and eggs—which entomologists call harborage areas or simply harborages to which the insect returns after future feedings by following chemical trails. These places can vary greatly in format, including luggage, inside of vehicles, within furniture, amongst bedside clutter—
>even inside electrical sockets and nearby laptop computers.
Bed bugs may also nest near animals that have nested within a dwelling, such as bats, birds,[53] or rodents. They are also capable of surviving on domestic cats and dogs, though humans are the preferred host of C. lectularius.[54]

Bed bugs can also be detected by their characteristic smell of rotting raspberries.[55] Bed bug detection dogs are trained to pinpoint infestations, with a possible accuracy rate between 11% and 83%.[56] Homemade detectors have been developed.[57][58]"
>>
>>58663437
Yea not bait anon, they actually do go into laptops. There was a thread where someone bought a laptop and it was filled with those fuckers.

I am gonna take it into the yard and open up there and look around to see if I notice anything.
I would do the removing air thing but I don't have the required things to do it.

Should I check where the HDD, RAM, and battery goes?
I dont want to take apart the whole laptop.

>>58663499
Thanks for that.
>>
>>58662333
Checked from my Macbook Pro™ Mid-2012 2.9GHz i7
>>
>>58661323
I'd expect /g/ to worry about NSA bugs, not beg bugs.
>>
>>58664657
Those concern me as well, but right now the bed bugs are more worrying.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.