[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on CentOS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: centos-logo.png (50KB, 770x207px) Image search: [Google]
centos-logo.png
50KB, 770x207px
Thoughts on CentOS?
>>
>>58658250
6 was better than 7
>>
Works.It Replaced all the Sun/Solaris computers in the CS Unix labs.
>>
Run it at home for hosting sites for friends and family. Stable OS. Nothing flashy. Does the job.
>>
>>58658256
Why?

I haven't used it, so I'm curious here.
>>
>>58658330

Only difference I can think of is that installation shit was a little bit more straight forward. Honestly I've enjoyed 7 a bit more than 6.

I know the CentOS community had some sort of blow up or drama before moving everything to 7. Not sure why; seem to remember something about one half wanting to be a bit more forward thinking and the other half sticking strictly with following RHEL rpms and builds.
>>
>>58658250
Not a daily driver. It's entire focus is making sure what is deployed is at least well tested, so expect everything to be at best months old. It's the distro you throw onto something you don't want "fun surprises" to occur on. It's the linux equivalent of ordering plain oatmeal and OJ every morning because you're paranoid you may shit yourself driving to work if you have the bacon, pancakes, and coffee at IHOP.
>>
File: gnome.png (306KB, 1025x769px) Image search: [Google]
gnome.png
306KB, 1025x769px
>>58658250
You need extra repositories if you want decent media support. It also seems to work better with GNOME (because Red Hat loves it).

If you want to use it as desktop, that is.
>>
>>58658477
Red Hat took over the project slightly before the 7th release, maybe that is relevant.
>>
It's a solid server distro, but I really wish it had the same apache and nginx setup as debian. Having virtual hosts and sites-available configured at installation is nice which is why I prefer debian more. Also debian has newer packages while also maintaining stability.
>>
>>58658256
pretty excellent

logical configuration scheme and decently compatible

6 remains init king but 7 is fine and better for using as a workstation (fwiw..lol)

opensuse is also good for servers or at least i like it
>>
>>58658620
this is why config managers ie. ansible/chef/puppet are your friend

do it once. ish.
>>
>>58658250

Interview with InMotion coming up?
>>
I used to run it as a desktop (or laptop rahter) OS for a while, because I was fed up with every other distro having short as fuck release cycles (or being fucking ubuntu) and constantly changing and breaking stuff.

And a stable, enterprise, whatever distro seemed just what I needed.

Just three problems:
rpmfusion is dead, so you either have to compile yourself or add some one-man-show repos, which kinda breaks the whole safe.stable.enterprise premise…
its 100% 64bit, which means wine is 100% 64bit, which means its useless since there are virtually no 100% 64bit windows programs, especially not in the old stuff, that you can only run in wine anyways…
updating the system fuckin broke my wireless with no chance to recover. But on the second install, it worked better (I just skipped the offending update and went for the next minor version). So good that I had 1 month + uptime. Which all went to shit within one single day, when I tried to get my mobile broadband working. I went from 40 days or so uptime to
>fuck, why does plasma die when I plug in my phone?
within 5 hours.

Sad, really. Otherwise I really, really liked the experience, but I just can't trust a system that fucks me over like this twice.
>>
>>58658250
>>
Running it on a couple of VPS and I like it. Not that I have that much experience in different distros in server use, but I at least prefer managing it to Debian.
>>
>>58658328
Better than Debian?
>>
It is fucking good but not a workstation/desktop OS.
The major differences between CentOS 6 and 7 are systemd (which I don't like) and more up to date packages in 7 (6 still used kernel 2.6.3*).
If you need insane uptime and a super stable server OS CentOS is the right choice, add epel repo, set it up and _forget_ about it.
Register on the mailing list and keep an eye on security bulletins, use ansible to update all your servers en masse when something useful gets released.
If you plan to host multimedia shit (DLNA, etc) use something else, I usually use Fedora and once every year or so upgrade to a new release.
>>
>install centos to host new webscale app
>meme language is not on the repos
>install meme language from source
>install even more shit like servers and container software of the month from source or third party repos
>software installed from source contains serious privilege scalation bug but never gets patched
>everything goes to shit and the company loses all customer data
>you keep your job because nobody got fired for choosing centos

That there is the only reason to ever use CentOS.
>>
>>58658581
Why would anyone use CentOS as their desktop OS?

I'm asking for the rationale here, by the way, not trying to bully CentOSmen. On the face of it, it doesn't seem to make sense to me given the amount of distros meant for desktop use.
>>
>>58661442
>Why would anyone use CentOS as their desktop OS?

>>58659473
>I used to run it as a desktop (or laptop rahter) OS for a while, because I was fed up with every other distro having short as fuck release cycles (or being fucking ubuntu) and constantly changing and breaking stuff.

And most new software is shit anyways.
>>
>>58658250
If you thought Debian Stable was ancient, try CentOS. Have some webapp for your company which has a serious bug, but the update requires a newer version of PHP? You're shit outta luck friendo, now you have to compile that shit yourself - at least Debian has its backports-repository.
Might as well just run a Gentoo Stable server.
>>
>>58658256
7 is kind of stuck half way between going full systemd and legacy shit. 8 will be better.
>>
>>58662086
>What is EPEL
>>
>>58662741
Even epel does not solve the problem, php is still version 5.4 which is fucking old.
>>
>>58662086
>>58663111
http://repo1.sea.innoscale.net/remi/enterprise/7/
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
Provides PHP7.1.
>>
>>58663610
The problem is that when you start to add third party repositories things start to break.
For example, if I remember correctly PHP7 and phpmyadmin does not work well together.
>>
>>58659473
You are retarded.
There's EPEL with a fuckload of packages, remi for different versions of webshit packages, and nux for multimedia.
It's totally not like they have an entire page dedicated to this shit: https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
32-bit libraries are available too, so you can very much run ancient software. And Wine is broken on CentOS last time I checked, but you're better off compiling a recent version anyway.
>>
>>58661442
i rarely need the new features being added to softwares nowadays, the basic free operating system is completed.
>>
It is a mainstay in the website hosting world. If you want something that you can set and forget, CentOS is perfect.
>>
>>58663712
>There's EPEL with a fuckload of packages, remi for different versions of webshit packages, and nux for multimedia.
Yes. As I said:
>add some one-man-show repos, which kinda breaks the whole safe.stable.enterprise premise…
and EPEL does not really have many desktop programs.
Its even on the fucking page you linked:
>WARNING: These repositories are not provided nor supported by CentOS. The CentOS project has no control over these sites. Many have their own mailing lists, IRC channels, issue trackers, etc. for support issues with their packages.
>NOTE: If you are considering using a 3rd Party Repository, then you should seriously consider how to prevent unintended 'updates' from these side archives from over-writing some core part of CentOS. One approach is to only enable these archives from time to time, and generally leave them disabled. See: man yum
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.