[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nextcloud

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Без названия.png (5KB, 343x147px) Image search: [Google]
Без названия.png
5KB, 343x147px
Is it safe to use on your VPS?
Or cloud providers like Mega is safer?
>>
hey
>>
>>58658093
>Бeз нaзвaния.png
sooka blyat
>>
niggers
>>
>>58658152
ebin!!
>>
> Is it safe to use on your VPS?
Safe enough I assume, it's an open sauce stack.

It's obviously not a design centered on anal ass tight security. Just reasonable security.

> Or cloud providers like Mega is safer?
Safer against what?
>>
>>58658093
You still aren't in full control of your own data when you're using a VPS. Someone can still look through your files -- whether they will or will not depends on the people themselves. Thus, it's no different whether you use a VPS or someone else's cloud storage. Nextcloud claims to support encryption -- so does Mega. Whether these claims have anything to back them up is questionable for Mega, as it's not open-source. However, you could simply encrypt the private files by yourself before uploading them to a cloud storage service. Cloud storage services are usually cheaper than a full on VPS, too, for obvious reasons.
>>
Is an open source cloud client-server implementation on your own VPS more secure than a file storage service?

I suppose it depends on what you put there and who you rent the VPS from
>>
>>58658198
Nextcloud supports encryption.

You're not cryptographer enough to see if these claims are fully correct and it's all correctly implemented; but that's fucking life.

You're free to fuck around with the encryption method or test it to determine if it works against people with your ability. Do that if you want to.
>>
I would like to install this on my home server. Is there a reason why I shouldn't?
>>
>>58658289
Not really, but I'd suggest you look at Syncthing first.

It's kinda simpler & faster for most uses if you ask me.
>>
Depends what you're trying to be "safe" from.
>>
>>58658326
havent heard about this. will investigate
>>
>>58658366
I found it much simpler for my usage.

It's an open sauce BT sync with more contro. Like operating a Bittorrent client that has the ability to remember devices and associate them with shares. Mutually register a device, register shared folders (with optional version retention & sync settings etc.), and then the system just kinda keeps it sync'd if there's any network connection at all.

Fast to set up and it kinda justwerks.
>>
>>58658454
The assigning device ID might be a deal breaker. I would like someone to access my shares, but she is computer illterate and will most likely not be able to configure her own computer. I won't be able to do it for her because she lives far away.
>>
>>58658486
Maybe...?

OTOH it was also kinda designed to work for average intelligence smartphone zombies.

Ultimately they just need to be able to scan a QR code or paste one string to get a connection to your device. Then say okay to you offering to sharing a folder with them.

I guess it has more steps than one URL click at this point, but... not exactly rocket science.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.