[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY UMPC 100% DOABLE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 20170125_230638.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_230638.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hello /g/!
Some of you are enthusiasts for palmtops and portable computers. But these are no good times for you - portable computers were killed by smartphones and tablets. The market for normals does not deliver for you. But together we can change that, build our very own.

Please, have a look at pic related.

It's a barebone UMPC - you insert a smartphone of your CHOICE into the lid - connect it to the USB and audio loop-through, and presto, you can enjoy some comfy UMPC feels. A passepartout, customized to your screen real estate, will make it look like a finished product. The body of the UMPC can be split into two stages, depending on YOUR NEEDS.

This design is 100% DOABLE. It will be free (as in free speech). And YOU can JOIN. Feel free to post your suggestions. Please!

In case you use Stage I on it's own, the smartphone will power Stage I. If you decide to use Stage II, the integrated powerbank will power your phone and Stage I until it's depletet to about 10% - then it will power only Stage I, for increased UMPC fun-time.

A limited production run will be done - after community input, after polishing the design - if there are enough interested people - relying heavily on available chinese hardware, user-friendly microcontrollers, my engineering degree and modern prototyping services.

Also, I have a need for some input regarding the keyboard: What kind of layout would you wish? What kind of key mechanic would be optimal for this size? Micro-switches, or a custom rubber-dome (which would be no problem to produce!)?

If there is enough feedback, there will be a mockup in about a week.

Please, do a post, reply. I'll be happy for your input.

Reminder: this is doable, because the barebone design circumvents 78% of the associated problems of building your own UMPC.
>>
Already page 4...
>>
File: b&wsolicit.jpg (92KB, 1000x1003px) Image search: [Google]
b&wsolicit.jpg
92KB, 1000x1003px
>>
WTF 4chan hates UMPCs now?
>>
>>58654755
wtf!! I hate UMPC now!
>>
>>58654755
No, we just hate your shitty idea.
It's not a UMPC, it's just a shitty, bulky smartphone case.
>>
>>58654813
>>58654755
Not to mention there is literally no point having a keyboard on a touchscreen device that small. All it does is waste space.
>>
>>58654773
>>58654813
>>58654828
Nice same-faggin'
>>
>>58654909
I'm not samefaggint you are just a dumbfuck.
You don't need a headphone jack or usb jack, lots of phones don't support usb-otg, bluetooth would be better, and if you do that there is too much latency to make it usable for games.

So, yeah, shit idea fuck off.
>>
>>58654969
Thanks for the bump, master ruse-man. One (you) for you.
>>
Last bump
>>
I dunno... For me the entire point of a umpc would be to have a mobile device with proper privacy and security. Aka a floss distro
>>
>>58654176
I mean it looks cool, but all i'm seeing here is a physical keyboard and trackpoint in a shell. The main reason for umpc's is (in my eyes) to run windows on x86 processors in a compact setting. This doesnt accomplish that.
>>
>>58654176
>portable computers
yeah, so just use a regular laptop. there are plenty of those.
>>
File: pyra.png (430KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pyra.png
430KB, 800x600px
Why not back the greatest UMPC ever built: the Dragonbox Pyra
>>
Jesus christ almost 2" thick fully upgraded? Isnt the point of this to be small? My two laptops stacked on top of eachother aren't even 2" thick.
>>
>>58656563
Whats the cpu arch on this btw? Too lazy to look it up.
>>
>>58656582
Single-core 533MHz Via Nano.
>>
>>58656628

You lie

It's uses an upgradable socketed CPU board, at first it will ship with an ARM dual core 1.5Ghz Cortex-A15
>>
>>58654176
GPD Win.

Faggot.
>>
I have a GPD win, so I don't care.
If it's 100% doable, then do it, who cares if we approve?
There are thousands of people who've had the exact same idea as you, but none have fucking done it. Most haven't gotten further than the sketch.
So if you actually wanna, just do it.
>>
Mad no one liked your shit idea OP?
>>
>>58655558
Does this thing even support teledildonics?
>>
>>58654176
its called the padfone x
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.