[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS4/Xbone emulator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: .jpg (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
161KB, 1920x1080px
An emulator for a System A on a System B is basically mimicking, using code, the architecture of System A as a program which can be run on System B, thus being able to effectively run System A's software on System B. Is that right?

With that said, PC's are using x86 and the PS4 and XBone use the same architecture. How easy/hard would it be to make a PS4 emulator? Would you just need to somehow load the PS4 OS on a PC? What is stopping us at the moment, is it just resources or is there something else?
>>
>>58645135
impossibru
just like xbox has nvr been emulated
>>
>>58645152
why is it impossibru?
>>
>>58645172
So it's x86, big woop, now you need to exactly emulate the exact CPU core being used for it, at the exact frequency.

>why

Because console games, especially exclusive ones, don't deal with speed increases well. The game itself may run faster.
>>
File: xbox.png (130KB, 1555x706px) Image search: [Google]
xbox.png
130KB, 1555x706px
>>58645135
>>58645172
>>
File: 1476183228803.jpg (84KB, 400x994px) Image search: [Google]
1476183228803.jpg
84KB, 400x994px
>>58645249
>is a PC easy to emulate?
VMWare seems to think so.
>>
>>58645309
It exist but I wouldn't call that something that was easily done.
>>
>>58645232
Yes, a lot of the reason older console games ported to pc are locked at 30 is because that's what the game was built around games start to physically run faster a good example is bully when you unlock the frame rate the game speed will actually increase and things start to break.
>>
>>58645135
I suspect the problem is the complexity of the hardware and the difficulty of getting access to it. On the complexity front, the chips in these things are custom APUs that often have weird features. One thing that springs to mind is the Xbox One has some GPU-only really fast RAM cache, I forget the name of it now.
On the access front, this console generation withstood attempts at piracy longer than the previous ones and if you can't get in to turn off the DRM, you also can't get in to study it.

Also, keep in mind that it's not as simple as "getting the PS4 OS to run". The PS4 OS is just FreeBSD with a bunch of custom software and drivers, it probably wouldn't be too difficult (compared to building an entire emulator) to get it to technically execute on a PC. What you must remember however, is that an OS is not an emulation layer. Applications (say, games in this case) do not run "on top" of the OS, using hardware exclusively through the OS as many people picture it. They, for instance, execute directly on the bare metal CPU, their time allocation and other resources managed by the OS. And because we don't have the source code for the applications we want to run, that means the hardware (or this case, the fake virtualized hardware) has to be *exactly* as they expect it to be. (Yes recompiling approaches exist and are common in emulation but you still have to understand even minutiae of what the application wants to be able to write the recompiler in the first place).

>>58645152
If you mean Xbox in general, 360 looks as though it will be emulated sooner or later with Xenia (indeed they can already launch many retail disk games, they're just not stable).
If you mean the classic Xbox that's an incredibly bad example to use here. That console is the chief example of "totally non standard and undocumented hardware hampering emulator development". (Also there's little to no incentive to speak of, but never mind about that).
>>
What the fuck happened with the GBA?
I remember emulator existing before the offcial release.
>>
>>58645489
how?
>>
>>58645309
VMWare doesn't emulate the processor. It passes all instructions to your computer's physical processor.
>>
>>58645411
You got hardware, encrypted software that has to be reverse engineered to be able to boot and run the games.

It's a mssive undertaking.

Why people expect the latest consoles can be emulated just as easily as the console's that had rom's no bigger then a megabit I have no idea.
>>
You need to emulate the hardware architecture, as I'm sure it's not as simple as off-the-shelf northcore chipsets and GPUs. Secondly, you need to create an emulation layer for the kernel, system library, and graphics library functions used in games.
>>
File: xboxone os.png (255KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
xboxone os.png
255KB, 800x450px
>>58645135
PS4 is Custom FreeBSD
XboxOne is Windows10.

XboxOne can emulate Xbox360.

PS4 and XboxOne Emulate? Please wait PS5 or Xbox2
>>
>>58646036
>PS4 and XboxOne Emulate? Please wait motivation to do so
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.