[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: golang.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
golang.png
4KB, 225x225px
>current year
>should i learn this or C?
>>
>>58644826
both fagget
>>
>>58644826
C, obviously.
>>
>>58644826
learn C then rust then maybe use go if you feel like it
>>
Learn go, swift, or es6
>>
It's a meme.
They had some good ideas and then they gimped the type system and ignored all progress we had done in the last decade.
However, it's a meme that's not going to go away so you might as well learn it.
>>
File: 1416633544773.jpg (177KB, 898x506px) Image search: [Google]
1416633544773.jpg
177KB, 898x506px
>>58644826

You need to learn C in order to understand why it's bad and the damage it has done. My advice is to write a small shell and a small kernel.

Then learn lisp

Then
>use Rust where you would need C
>use Go where you would need java/c#/nodejs
>use Haskell where you would need python/ruby
[spoiler]>Use some kind of functional language to javascript transpiler if you need front-end dev stuff[/spoiler]

Boom, you are a happy, productive programmer that's writing programs that are maintainable, solids and nice
>>
>>58645318
Rust has no where near proven itself for being a viable replacement for C.
In fact, it seems more like a C++ replacement.
>>
>>58645344

Rust is perfectly capable of being used for embedded/system software, which is the niche C still occupy these days.

On an unrelated note, C++14/17 mostly fix all the problems C++ has. It can be hard to read and to learn, but so is Rust.
>>
>>58645385
>C++14/17 mostly fix all the problems C++ has
Piling shit onto a pile of shit doesn't make it any less shitty.
>>
>>58644826
C

go is a fucking meme. just look at how autistic that logo is... fucking hell
>>
>>58645318
>transpiler
uh... how do you expect to work in a team like that?
>>
>>58645422
Have you tried using it ?
>>58645454
Work in a team using Dart/Elm/OCaml/Whatever ?
>>
>>58645493
My point is still: how do you expect to let the other people on your team pull their branches into code that now looks radically different, because the transpiler probably optimizes things?

That's the way I interpret things. I don't know, maybe we're living in the future and small changes in dart/elm results in transpiled codes with, again, only small changes.
>>
>>58645572
i think he meant that the "source" you'd pull would be the Dart/Elm/OCaml/Whatever.

and the "binary" would be javascript.

i still think that's a retarded idea tho.
>>
>>58644826
I love the fact that it produces one big fat binary I can run wherever easily by default
>>
>>58645572
you don't have javascript code in your branches the same way you don't have objects files in your branches in your C projects. That's part of the build.
>>
>>58645591
How would your non dart/elm/ocaml/whatever-initated teammates work on the javascript "binary", is my point/question.

I don't think it's viable, I might be wrong, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was. I just don't have any real experience with this, but I'd presume your teammates would need to work on the same language as you do.
>>
>>58644826
Other languages come and go, C is forever. If this is your first language, C is a bad choice, but if it's not, then it's something you really should know.
>>
>>58644826
Go is only used for writing botnets these days.
>>
>>58645318
actually good advice
>>
Don't learn anything, no one even cares that you exist and couldn't give less of a fuck whether you died right now
>>
>>58646192

> edgy
>>
>>58646192
>>>/pol/
>>
>>58644826

Both.

First invest 2 month into C. Just buy K&R and work through it, you can do it in a few days to weeks. Then make some small programs. C is such a fundamental language, every programmer should have programmed at least a few basic programs with it.

If you know C, learning Go is a breeze and can be done in no time. Go is basically "C for noobs" + some fancy (but easy) shit like Go channels.

>>58645318

Kinda..

>use Rust where you would need C

I'd say Rust is cool, but unless you need to go low level programming it's not really mandatory to know. It depends on your game plan as programmer, but for me Rust is as a "nice to have" language: maybe I'll do a fun project with it in the future but that's it.

>use Go where you would need java/c#/nodejs

You can replace nodejs with Go, but they have slightly different goals. Java or C#.. I dont' know if Go can do such heavy lifting.
I know companies where they use Java and Go, Java when you build big (complicated) tools and Go for smaller tasks.

>use Haskell where you would need python/ruby

I would learn Ruby and then Haskell. Ruby is a softer start, even though it's interesting to learn the theoretical background of Haskell. Also if you know Ruby you are already halfway there to learning Haskell.

Haskell
map (+3) [1,5,3,1,6] 
zip [1,2,3,4,5] "hello"
partition (>3) [1,5,2,4,3]

Ruby
[1,5,3,1,6].map {|i| i+=3}
[1,2,3,4,5].zip "hello".chars
[1,5,2,4,3].partition {|i| i>3}

>inb4 "muh pureness"

I'm not saying Ruby IS Haskell, I'm just saying that Ruby can does a lot of stuff similar to Haskell (or sometimes even LISP).

Or let me put it like this:
If you know Haskell or LISP you can do cool stuff with Ruby.
>>
Learn Go, then C.
>>
>>58646799
2 months would be enough to know the language, but nowhere near enough to understand it or know all of its possible applications.
>>
>>58649012
Learn C, then Go... fuck yourself.
>>
>>58645318
Can I get a heads up as to why its bad or what damages have been done?
>>
File: glenda from plan9.jpg (164KB, 1376x1492px) Image search: [Google]
glenda from plan9.jpg
164KB, 1376x1492px
Learn both. C teaches you the fundamentals and is pretty much necessary for embedded work.
Go is simpler and will be more productive for pretty much everything else.

>>58650779
> https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/71842/what-are-the-security-risks-vulnerabilities-every-c-programmer-must-be-aware-of
C has unsafe memory access.
>Buffer overflows
>printf can accidentally be allowed to overwrite memory
>overwrite harmlessFunction with installAndExecuteVirus

>>58645428
Do you even computer science history?
>>
>>58646192
thx tbhbbq senpai
>>
Go is a nice language. Easy to learn, runs fast, light memory footprint, easy concurrency, great stdlib, great profiling tools, easy to deploy, easy to read etc.

Knowing esoteric programming language features does not make you intelligent nor productive. Using programming as a tool to solve problems for yourself and/or your employer is what makes you a good programmer. The actual architecture of your code is far more important than the language features that come with your chosen PL.

Ask yourself the following:
What is the software that I have relied on for decades, and what programming language was it written in?

Do you use, an OS, a database, a web browser, etc.? It was likely written in C.

Now go count up how much software you rely on year after year is written in Java or C#.

Go is a perfectly fine language. C is a perfectly fine language. Rust/Haskell/etc is a meme, untested against actual real world concerns.
>>
>>58644826
>any year
>C always comes first
>C++ after
>Funny lang (Go, Ruby, Python, whatever hip you think you want)
>Functional lang
>Javascript

Thats the perfect scheme
>>
>>58645318
How hipster can a single person manage to be in 12 lines of shitpost?
Anybody that's not codemonkeying his life away uses python, java/swift can be tolerated if you like to make apps, C if you geniunely like to program.
Anything else should catch fire tbqh
>>
>>58650975
C doesn't have unsafe memory access, it just allows more control over it.

It's only unsafe if the programmer is retarded.
>>
>>58652468
I'm doing

C
Bash
Python
C++
Lisp
Java (4 moneyz)
>>
>>58652468
I'd put Functional before Funny lang. Maybe even before C++ (actually, if you don't have a reason to learn C++, like you expect to work with it anytime soon, I'd say there's no point in learning it, or you can postpone it at worst).
So
>C
>functional language
>funny lang (included lisp, prolog (implying), forth, ruby, perl...)
>whatever, at this point you already know enough to make your own choices
>>
what if I start with Go before C?
>>
>>58653744
Won't matter too much. You'll be more productive quicker, but you'll still have to learn what pointers are.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.