/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth getting a fanless PC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I'm considering going with a completely fanless build for my next PC. My current rig from 2010 has fans that were advertised as "quiet", but they've deteriorated over time (probably from dust buildup and forgetting to clean it), and now they sometimes get as loud as a small helicopter and it's still loud even after I've cleaned it out.

I'm leaning towards getting something like this https://www.quietpc.com/sys-a460s. it seems really tempting. Can /g/ convince me I'm wrong on this?
>>
>>58641464
>Those GPU options
You might as well get a Gigabyte Brix or a NUC.
>>
if you are not high-end gamer, mac mini with ssd
>>
>>58641464
Its not really worth if if you game really, you can build a near silent build with some good Noctua fans, you just can't cheap out on sleeve bearing fans which will degrade rather quickly
>>
>>58641556

I'm pretty sure a GTX 750 would be good enough to play games on. I don't require the kind of horsepower that you need to play VR stuff or badly optimized console game ports, but I do want to play some games, so a mini pc with integrated graphics is out of the question.
>>
>>58641698
Not consistently at 1080p. You'll get framerate drops below 30fps.
>>
>>58641764
a GTX 750 is still pretty decent for a good chunk of MMOs, CS:GO, World of tanks, etc but yeah not enough grunt for any modern AAA title
>>
>>58641659

Even with completely silent fans that don't degrade as quickly, I'd still have clean out my PC every so often because fans attract a lot of dust. I'd rather just bite the bullet and get this fanless PC and not have to worry about that.

It still seems like a pretty good idea to me. If I go with the i5 6600t which only draws 35w, and go with the fan that supports 95w cpus, I'm pretty sure I'll never have to worry about overheating. And I think I'd be able to upgrade to another silent GPU in the future anyway, so I'm not too worried about the gaming capability of this thing.
>>
>>58641911
meant to say
>and go with the cpu cooler that supports 95w cpus
>>
File: wtf.png (23KB, 828x141px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
23KB, 828x141px
finally you wont have to worry about cable noise
>>
>>58641911
You can get a car radiator and build a passive setup. Just put the effort into researching coolants and sizing.
>>
>>58641464
what is there to understand

you cant do crazy overclock and it get hotter and is more expensive, but otherwise has the pros of lack of less noise. keep in mind you'll still need to keep your case at positive pressure if it's not going to toast.

you already know the variables. seems like a good way to go to me if you have the bux and can get a decent cpu you dont need to oc to do what you need to do
>>
I wanted to build a fanless PC for audio production but the problem was you need some sort of case that has a integrated heatsink and those are $$$ and can only handle like 40 watt CPUs. Running 100% fanless is very difficult to keep under control because heat tends to build up in passive cases.

Its better to build a extremely quiet PC, semi-passive PSU, 0db more GPU, fuck off sized heatsink with 140mm fan and a fractal or similar sound dampened case.

I have an OC'd CPU at 1.3 volts and i still cant hear it. My fridge in the next room makes more noise than my PC when im sitting at my rig.
>>
>>58641464
Just get Noctuas, they won't be need to be replaced until the entire PC is.
>>
>>58641464
>what is liquid cooling
>>
>>58641911
>Even with completely silent fans that don't degrade as quickly, I'd still have clean out my PC every so often because fans attract a lot of dust. I'd rather just bite the bullet and get this fanless PC and not have to worry about that.

Ok you can worry about new untested tech (which I kinda doubt will work well), or you can buy cheap canned air and clean it, 5 min of work, once a month.
>>
>>58641464
i wouldn't go further than a setup that requires only slow fans with dust filters, unless it was a commercial setup that needed to act maintenance-free for long periods
>>
>>58641464
it's easy to build a light fanless system, but if you want more power while staying quiet, the trick is to put a bunch of fans and run them all at low rpm. this keeps the airflow high while never needing to ramp up the fans.
>>
>>58641464
Probably not. Get very quite fans. As others ITT have already stated, Noctua fans and a good PSU go a long way.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.