[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaymers, explain something to me please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: windows-10-spying-privacy.jpg (185KB, 728x400px) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-spying-privacy.jpg
185KB, 728x400px
So, as we know, many people on /g come here and talk about how they need their computers for their games. They then say they care about telemetry and how Windows 10 is horrible. They say that the only thing to do is to stay on Windows 7.

My question pertains specifically to gaymers with their various software. How can you, in 2017, stand against telemetry while remaining on Windows 7 if you are doing any sort of gaymes? That just feels contrarian in my opinion.

What games do you play? Anything recent? If so, how do you avoid telemetry? You do know Visual Studio C++ 2015 has telemetry that you can't remove right?

If you try to install Java, read exactly what it says in the second paragraph. That is right, more telemetry, Please, someone, explain how to get rid of the telemetry from this so Minecraft (which is published by Microsoft and so probably has telemetry) can be played while you talk on Skype (do I need to repeat myself?).

Adobe Flash is somehow the good guy in all of this and though having a million security issues doesn't seem like anything has leaked about it having telemetry. But with Adobe adding telemetry to the latest Acrobat updates (is this just if you use Chrome or does it watch you on everything) can you really say you are safe?

Nvidia drivers also add telemetry. I am not talking about Geforce Experience, I am talking about the actual drivers for Nvidia having telemetry

Even if you had a hardcore version of Linux that protected you at the OS level, wouldn't the telemetry still exist due to all this software having telemetry you can't opt out of?

Needless to say, there are two types of people I see in the world. Those that play gaymes and should be on Windows 10, and those that don't who can protect their privacy. Unless you are an old school gamer on DOS, it doesn't sound like you can be safe anymore. So gaymers, why aren't you on Windows 10?
>>
>telemetry in drivers
wut
What's wrong with booting into w10 when u wanna play games. Takes like 10 sec with ssd.
>>
>>58641233
this entire post is stupid
>>
>>58641267
It was more directed at those that didn't dual boot with Windows, but even if you do dual-boot, I just don't see the point. Isn't the whole point of avoiding telemetry to make sure they don't know when and when you aren't on your computer? To see how long you play, the games you play, stuff like that? Doesn't that make booting into w10, at all, just as bad as normal?
>>
>>58641233
tl;dr

But to answer your question, because some people just plain don't care. And you can't make them.
>>
>>58641310
Please explain its stupidity. I am willing to listen to where I am getting my facts wrong.
>>
>>58641329
They don't care about telemetry everywhere else, but with Windows 10 it becomes important. That is what it was about, the hypocrisy that goes on.
>>
>>58641336
>my facts
what facts? all you offered was circumstance and hormonal drivel
>>
>>58641404
Visual C++ has telemetry - https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry

Java has telemetry - https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml

Adobe Acrobat has telemetry - http://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/11/warning-latest-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-installs-chrome-extension/

Nvidia drivers have telemetry - http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

So where am I not being factual?
>>
File: 1463629209032.gif (486KB, 960x969px) Image search: [Google]
1463629209032.gif
486KB, 960x969px
>>58641434
if you cared about your privacy you wouldn't use the internet's favorite honeypot to disseminate this regurgitated dogma
>>
>>58641316
No
I don't care that (((they))) see which games I play and when. Hell, some people stream themselves to the whole world doing just that. There's nothing personal/ private about gaming unless you're playing some edgy hentai crap.
>>
>>58641451
If it is regurgitated dogma, please set me right. So far you haven't argued any of my claims, just say I am blabbing about nothing. Well, enlighten me then.
>>
>>58641494
So what is the point of dual boot? Why not let Windows see everything? The only thing I can get is if you torrented Windows, since you can argue payment info, but if you bought it legit they kinda already have that.
>>
>>58641497
what you're doing is telling people shit that they already know and decidedly don't care about

the problem you're going to find is that there's a trade off with anything and convincing yourself you're right beyond reproach is not ever a good approach to beginning a constructive dialog.

so either understand that some people don't use their shit that bb cares about and doesnt care if their moves are being logged as long as dota is also logging their moves or really just stop using your keyboard
>>
>>58641612
Your argument is sound logic... except for the fact that you are simply a person who has accepted the reality. There are many that don't and will protect "muh privacy" and then proceed to play some games. I just don't get the contradictory nature.
>>
>>58641233
I don't really game, but here you go
>use windows 10 for playing pirated games
>don't browse internet except for a couple google searches when I have a problem
>don't log into any of my accounts
>use linux with full disk encryption and no bullshit like steam of proprietary nvidia drivers
The only botnet on my PC is chrome.
>>
This question can't be answered and is dangerous to ask because the only solution is to not use the computer at all. Even if you use a completely free OS, how do you *know*, etc. It's similar to people who say smartphones are just tracking devices but use dumbphones.

Reason why this is dangerous is because you're going to end up yet another hippie or hipster and you'll be on the suicide list soon. The best mediator between the two is to have a cheap laptop running linux to do all your private stuff, and put it on a vlan. Then keep your desktop for games and other software you need, and never ever use it for anything sensitive.

Problem is when you think like this, not even linux will do it for you, and in fact no OS will because you can just say shit like "how do you KNOW there isn't a hardware backdoor" and it will just be a waste to be alive.
>>
>>58641233
Question: why do you suck so much cock?
>>
>>58641671
the vast volume of doublethink we're seeing is an embodiment of huxley's proposition that people will willingly give up their freedoms when supplimented with distractions and entertainment
>>
>>58641697
Honestly I wasn't worried about back doors simply because you can never be sure to the point that the paranoia will make it impossible to do anything. It sounds like at the end of the day the best thing to do is ensure your privacy as much as possible, but not to the point where you refuse everything due to FUD.

But how do you keep yourself private on linux? Email is probably either Gmail or Outlook, both of which are botnets. If you buy Windows they have your account info. Sure, you can have a proxy, but the default account won't have one so they will be able to detect your location before you change anything. At a certain point, are we hiding anything with a dual-boot?
>>
>>58641733
That definitely seems to be the case. I guess I just have seen a lot of people say "DX12? That is useless besides a few titles! I can run almost anything else including Vulcan!" and not realizing how naive that is.
>>
>>58641718
Question: Why can't you constructively contribute to the discussion?
>>
>>58641697
/thread
even your router is a fkn botnet spydevice.
>>
>>58641857
Can't you at least deflect that with proxies and VPNs? That is the whole point, to avoid getting spied on by the ISP.
>>
>>58641774
Same concept you could use assumed non-free services just as a point of contact to say hello or show interest in deals/whatever then when it gets serious you use your private server/service etc. Every company big enough has an IT person who will be able to set up what you want to communicate that way.

Again you can keep going with this by saying that the hardware of the server has a backdoor so no service on earth even one you own would work, you can just say the other person is compromised too.

This sort of stuff is very similar to the various god fallacies which go like
>Prove that god exists.
>You can't prove he doesn't so it's just as good as if he does.

weigh the pros and cons. Cons being, someone out there knows about the secret numbers and details of your business, that they can't really do shit with anyway. Pros being, you can make a shitload of money. If someone spelled out the terms of this in which I'd make a lot but all e-mails were leaked, who really cares 20 years from now when you're rich? You might as well try because spouting botnet will always result in forever being nothing.
>>
>>58641894
no you fucking idiot. everything gets logged by your isp.
you think proxies/vpn faggotry somehow uses a different pipe to send/recieve data?
anyone who uses those things are fucking iiiidiots falling for the obvious honeypot.

the internet isn't something you can use to do bad things anonymously.
>>
>>58641894
assuming this troll idea is true (it isn't) then proxy/vpn wouldn't matter because they are on your internal network already and can secretly redirect traffic elsewhere.

Again it's like the god proof fallacy.
>How do you KNOW your router isn't spyware?
>>I used wireshark/etc
>How do you KNOW wireshark isn't spyware?
>>It captures all tcp/ip packets going out
>How do you KNOW tcp/ip isn't spyware?

because the pros of making money outweigh this made up conspiracy bullshit that all technology ever invented is just a tracking device. http, https, intel, cisco, broadcom, qualcomm, are all just secret government fronts. ok you can think that if you want, enjoy being poor.

Stallman has other people e-mail and call on his behalf so you can't really say he gets along in the modern world without technology, you're just letting someone else be the person talking so your words can still be "captured". Anyone seriously trying to do this is going to die a hideous death. It's your choice if you want to be a neo-luddite hippie, just know already that if you do that you're going to end up at the same worthless fate.
>>
>>58641942
you dont understand what the purpose and function of using a vpn is do you?
>>
>>58641903
I can see your point. No point in paranoia as there is no way to completely conceal yourself 100%. Just be smart and use private servers for serious info, but at the end of the day there is nothing they can do with any info they get on you anyway.
>>
Why the FUCK do you nerds care so much about data collection? It's literally used to improve the OS. There's a reason Windows just keeps getting better.
>>
>Goes to great lengths to remove telemetry in their software
>Doesn't account for telemetry in hardware, their router, their ISPs, the websites they visit
>>
File: 1428720825511.jpg (49KB, 273x312px) Image search: [Google]
1428720825511.jpg
49KB, 273x312px
>>58641612
wew goy
>>
>>58642029
what do you do that's so special, faggot
>>
>>58641977
>virtual personalized network
you think this will somehow hide you because a few dozen other idiots are using it?
definitely not.
>>
100% disk usage and 10% cpu usage at idle for no reason
>>
>>58641969
>Stallman has other people e-mail and call on his behalf
that's what a proxy is anon.
>>
>>58642056
you're thinking of people who misuse public vpns

that's not exactly the ideal case

example tunnel your vpn over ssh over https and it looks like web traffic to a private server

go fuck yourself china
>>
>>58641996
there's plenty of shit people can do with your info.
you just have to be dumb enough to be willing to put it out there
>>
Because people don't care. I personally don't care.
I have too much stuff going on in my life to simply give a fuck about that telemetry bullshit, I don't care if google/microsoft/nsa gets my data/web history whatever, show me more ads.
I don't care about frivolous shit like that, I prefer to invest my time on things that I consider more important. Just once in a while I play a game or two, so that's why I need Windows.
>>
>>58642084
>trying to circumvent government restricted websites
why would anyone choose to live in a shithole like that?
>>
>>58642099
>hurr durr i'm so import and my time so speshall
>still wastes his life shitposting on a website where his shitposts will be disregarded immediately
cool story bro.
>>
File: 1482779559194.jpg (138KB, 1000x1142px) Image search: [Google]
1482779559194.jpg
138KB, 1000x1142px
>>58641233
I just dual boot with 8.1 and Debian. I'll eventually move to a Windows 10 KVM or some shit when I really need DX12. The ideal future would be that developers git gud and make the game with Vulkan, opening up the doors on Linux, but that isn't happening. Besides, I rarely use my Windows drive since I can run some native gaymes on Linux and still have a massive backlog with emulation.

Also, what the fuck is up with your spacing? You have to go back.
>>
>>58642271
Don't the games you use require either Visual C++, Java, Flash, or Nvidia drivers? In all cases you are still being watched on Linux, right?
>>
>>58642196
fyi uk is a shithole like that, australia is a shithole like that, usa will be in the same shithole as that shortly... the fight is all that's left for net neutrality and internet freedumbs.

fite me irl
>>
>what is a firewall
>>
>java
>flash
>nvidia
>in the year 2017
There is a deeper problem if you use these
>>
>>58642296
The thing is that I don't really care that much if I'm being watched or not since I do use some google services and own a smartphone, those are already worse than having any kind of privacy infringing shit on your computer. There is also proprietary software since I already play the games on Linux. Video games aren't my main hobby, I rarely follow the newer games unless they're vastly recommended. The main reason why I don't use Windows 10 is because I despise it and m$ in general. I do enjoy using Debian as my main OS.
>>
>>58642311
>fyi uk is a shithole like that
cuckland, good fuck them.

>australia is a shithole like that
they used nukes to try and kill the wildlife their continent is so shit. fuck that deathtrap of an oversized island.

>usa will be in the same shithole as that shortly
are you implying the USA isn't a shithole? because it most certainly is the most putrude of all shitholes.
>>
File: 1483562127264.png (142KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
1483562127264.png
142KB, 500x516px
>>58642384
well, i think we're on the same page then

i guess i have no real quarrel with you
>>
>>58642384
What non-shithole do you live in or recommend?
>>
>>58641233
>Why are you trying to protect your privacy? There are some aspects that you cannot protect, so you should just install cameras in your bathrooms.
>>
>>58642430
iceland/norway/sweeden/other small nice boutique eu places

not that it's exactly straightforward to go there if you're not the type of genetics people pay top dollar for

the nazies didn't die they just escaped
>>
>>58642489
New Zealand is quite nice. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about New Zealand.
>>
>>58642511
earthquakes and hobbits

also i thought their government were goofs as well? being isolated by water will only help so long. maybe their fine. i hear their have very inclusive relations with their aboriginal people/ tribes. pretty unique and cool
>>
>>58642541
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_New_Zealand

Does not look too bad.
>>
>>58642452
>trying to hide your poop
what are you really trying to hide?
anyone trying to poop clearly is doing nothing wrong. so why the privacy ?
it's not like it's some sort of god given right written in your constitution or anything.
>>
>>58642489
>eu
sorry i don't wanna live in a country that will soon succumb to russian influence.
>>
>>58642645
Well, we must spy on you so you can poop better. Imagine all the issues you might otherwise have! - Sincerely your toilet paper company, toilet company, and plumbing company.
>>
>>58642645
Yeah, there should be cameras in every bathroom. If you are trying to poop without being seen, then how do we know that you are not doing something else that is evil?

Private pooping simply means that the terrorists have won. Why do you hate America so much that you want to poop in private?
>>
>>58641233
What games are PC gamers playing that actually justify using Windows 10?

Last I checked, the most recent PC exclusive that required an expensive gaming rig was Crysis... back in 2007.

Are you guys really using Windows 10 so you can play Shower with Your Dad Simulator, Five Nights at Freddy's, and PS4 games? Or is there some trove of hidden PC exclusives I don't know about?
>>
I just stopped caring about it. Installed 10, uninstalled unneeded apps, blocked telemetry shit, blocked updates. Aside from that, I use mostly FOSS software.
It works. Do I like it? No, but Linux isn't any better for me right now. But I do always recommend Linux and even install it on my built machines for normies.

W10 is actually good, has a lot of kernel improvements, it's really sad the way Microsoft has gone with the spying bullshit. Could have been their greatest OS yet.
>>
>>58642672
#notmypoop
>>
>>58642715
>Could have been their greatest OS yet.
Windows 10 is an inconsistent abomination.
>>
>>58642013
(You) fucking nip.
>>
>>58642511
Prices of components and shippings fees are a bitch.
>>
>>58642013
>he doesn't like pooping by himself
found the street shitter.
>>
>>58641434
the drivers are also a software suite of geforce experience , physix and all that other shit. Telemetry comes with geforce experience
>>
>>58641233
if it's for gaming, the real answer is performance -- strictly because of Win10's auto update bullshit (whether it's updating while you're doing shit or making you restart while you're doing shit -- why the fuck is Windows Update so fucking bad that it needs to restart for everything anyway)

lots of disk access from that shit in the background is going to murder performance

telemetry isn't going to be a real reason, not when you're fucking running Steam and Valve is checking on you
>>
My problem isn't with the basic telemetry, although I wish they were more transparent and could fully disable it.

My problem is YOUR FUCKING TELEMETRY SERVICE USES A GIG OF FUCKING RAM AND 10% CPU.

Out of Box, Win10 uses like 2GB of RAM at idle. That's just not okay.
>>
>>58642296
> In all cases you are still being watched on Linux, right?

If at all, then it's not nearly to the same degree.
There are steps you can take and motions in the right direction.
Cutting everything out is neigh impossible but formatting Windows 10 for a substantially less talkative OS is not.

Baby steps every day until privacy is your own again.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.