[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The great debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: lvo.png (119KB, 1274x452px) Image search: [Google]
lvo.png
119KB, 1274x452px
>>
Which one can open .docx?
>>
>>58641192
They both suck, also, a fucking coworker send a microsoft archive and you are fucked. I don´t give a shit about it beign "free as in freedom", it´s not like normal people has the time nor knowledge to really adapt that shit to their needs.
>>
>>58641192

Isn't Open Office pretty much dead?
>>
>>58641225
LibreOffice, but you lose features, sometimes important features like annotations. happened to me in Uni, doing important things. Fucking sucks.
>>
There's no fucking debate. OpenOffice is cancer and dead. LibreOffice is the only option.
>>
Knock-off number 1 vs Knock-off number 2

nah

I'll stick with Windows 10 + removal of spy services

"It's still botnet"? So can be almost anything else.

Go run OpenBSD and never run software that matters sperg.
>>
>>58641192
I sent an assignment that I typed in libre to a lecturer and all the formatting was fucked when she opened it. I like free as in free software, but I'm not going to lose another 15% on an assignment because of its lack of compatibility.
>>
>>58641289
>what is pdf
>>
>>58641192
Wine 2.0 supports office 2013, so if you want maximum compatibility without installing windows, just use that.
>>
Meme'ing aside, you really have to run Windows if you reached a point that you run knock-offs like Libreoffice with a straight face. You have nothing to offer with such a subpar software collection in the real world. Get over it, linux is an excellent server OS, but for the consumer market, only Android-style operations will ever work with it.
>>
>>58641289
>He doesn't use LaTeX
>>
>>58641285
Just run office 13 in wine.
>>58641299
You have to submit in their chosen file type and PDF wasn't an option.
>>
>>58641332
>wine

Or stop living in denial and run Windows. You have no business outside Windows if you spend your time on cheap knock offs, on emulators, or on worse copy-cat library frameworks. If after disabling all the spy services you're still scared of Windows then fuck off the real world, go run OpenBSD, and never run any software that matters in your life.
>>
>>58641332
> You have to submit in their chosen file type and PDF wasn't an option.
> For an assignment
Either it happened in High School or you go to a shitty university
>>
>>58641351
Why are you mad that open source software is deprecating Windows?
>>
>>58641356
Shit university. It was only one dumb cunt teacher that didn't specify PDF tho. Bottom line is that it wouldn't have been an issue if I had used office in the first place.
>>
>>58641351
Don't worry, pajeet. I have a win 10 on a virtual machine for all of my Wangblows needs.
>>
>>58641377

Knock-offs are by definition behind.
>>
>>58641285
>Go run OpenBSD and never run a compiler
Current state of /g/
>>
>>58641399
>Windows being a leader in anything
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>58641399
Except Office is backwards compatible due to legacy customers so being behind (on Office 2013) doesn't matter in the slightest.

For other software it doesn't matter either. Even the new games on DX12, still have DX11 support.
>>
>>58641192
google docs
>>
>>58641378
or if she used libreoffice
>>
>>58641192
pirate MS Office '07
>>
>>58641486
Really made me think
>>
Any decent college or uni will let you use open standards, office is for cucks anyway.
>>
>>58641378
The bottom line is this wouldn't have happened if you went to a better uni with non-shit lecturers.

Don't get me wrong, I think libre office is pure shit compared to microsoft office — but asking for interpreted file types like docx and expecting it to look the same on different machines is like asking for someone else's source code and expecting it to compile properly on your computer / compiler without issue — it's an unreasonable demand.
>>
Debate to decide which is more shit, right?
Both are complete jokes.

Not much debate on this field, MS Office is the way to go.
>>
>>58641524
M8, this wasn't a compsci course. When 99% of your students use Macs for everything, the issue of an autist trying to use free software probably doesn't come up very often.
>>
>>58641524
Just add .docx to the spam filter, works great and weeds out the non tech savy people.
>>
>>58641521
if ur paying to go to adult daycare u can get the pajeet discount on microsucks malware
>>
>>58641239
So none
>>
>>58641378
Should of told her to fucking pull her head in. Even in the military they don't give a fuck this much.
>>
File: 1477370675549.gif (292KB, 240x149px) Image search: [Google]
1477370675549.gif
292KB, 240x149px
>>58641216
</thread>
>>
>>58641524
>asking for someone else's source code and expecting it to compile properly on your computer / compiler without issue
If that happens, you're asking code from the wrong people. Faggot.
>>
>>58641932
better than your post faggot!!
>>
File: receipt.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
receipt.gif
1MB, 500x281px
google docs
>>
>>58642037
But anon, if I was willing to get jewed by corporations why would I not just use Microsoft Word Online?
>>
Does anyone know how the review pane function stuff works across Word and Libre? I regularly edit people's stuff using Word's review functions and I just noticed recently that Libre has something similar. Will they work cross application?
>>
>>58642186
Google Docs is free
>>
>>58641216
fpbp
>>
>>58641225
>Using docx
>Not using odt
>>
>>58641239
>in Uni

>>58641289
>lecturer
>You have to submit in their chosen file type

FUCK, this pisses me off

>>58641351
>after disabling all the spy services
that you know of
>You have no business outside Windows
>and never run any software that matters
i have every biz outside windows, no software matters, only docx matters really, because of the stupid lot like a lot of heads, tutors, bosses too ignorant to the divide that microsoft creates with their msword willing slaves
and if a can run msword isolated in my freedom os, im just fine

>living in denial
guess who is living in denial of computing interoperability
>>
>>58641216
/thread
>>
>>58641285
>Knock-off number 1 vs Knock-off number 2
A knock off of what? Star Office?
>>
Microsoft is a bunch of kikes, they don't open standards or follow their own standards.
>>
>>58642695
As is Word Online
>>
>>58641192
I like LibreOffice and MS Office
>LibreOffice has its own version of VBA and supports Python
>LibreOffice API only supports Java and C++ and isn't great
>MS Office has incredible and unparalleled C# integration
>MS Office hasn't revised their ultra-legacy support for VBA and a lot of the documentation for the Interop libraries from MSDN is barren and AIDS

Both are cool. OpenOffice has been dead for a while now. Normal people don't give two shits about kiddies screaming and pissing themselves about "M$". Accelerate your plans to off yourself.
>>
Both are really good and have unique presets that dumb teachers and Microsoft faggots will be amazed by. Plus I can open a .jpeg in the text editor and use the rulers on the sides to measure my pictures.
>>
>>58641192
WPS office
>inb4 chink botnet
>>
>>58641264

>secretaries and students writing things no one will ever read is serious business
>>
I use MS Office for my thesis and resume.

Google Docs for the rest.
>>
>>58641216
>>58641285
Why are you constantly posting that shit all over /g/, W10 sucks balls

I dualboot W7 with arch Linux, doing MRes work I write out all text in libreoffice, prepare all images in gimp, then assemble with msoffice, if they are feeling nice they will let me submit a PDF generated with latex,

There is only so far a word processor can be developed, soon open source free stuff will catch up
>>
>>58641192
WPS
>>
>>58641524
If you're going to claim ooxml is "interpretated" then so is fucking PostScript/PDF.

The only issue here is M$ wrote a shitty spec that I shoved through ISO.

Technically, the libreoffice version is the most accurate, and hilariously enough the only verifiable version, of ooxml so M$ Office is the only garbage "interpretor" of OOXML
>>
LaTeX

>muh word

plebs
>>
>>58645353
10/10 I legit laughed.

Thank you
>>
libreoffice calc is not bad, if you only use it to list your sex toys inventory.

I'll give it 10 more years to be on the level of current microsoft excel.

working with pivot tables? excel.
>>
File: 1484307092339.jpg (101KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1484307092339.jpg
101KB, 500x333px
>>58641192

WPS
P
S
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.