[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lavabit / Secure Email thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: images.duckduckgo.png (282KB, 550x482px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.png
282KB, 550x482px
https://lavabit.com/explain-lavabit.html

There's a limited-time offer to sign up for cheaper access to the new, re-launched Lavabit email service before it launches later this year. This is the service that Snowden used, which shut down rather than reveal their user data to the government.

Sounds very solid, but can this new DIME protocol really remain secure? Has anyone else signed up for this yet? How does it compare to something like Protonmail?
>>
I don't understand if the DIME (the ebin Dark Internet Memetic Environment) will be interoperable with standard email accounts

protonmail/tutanota and so on can send and receive mail to normal accounts

from what I see in the specs, only "Trustful" mode uses SMTP, POP and IMAP while "Cautious" and "Paranoid" allegedly do not

also, as far as I've understood, thunderbird will be able to operate with a DIME/Lavabit account only if you're in "Trustful" mode

otherwise you'll have to pick a special snowflake Thunderbird fork called "Volcano" or something
and, as far as I can see, if "Trustful" mode is the way you can inter-operate with well-established mail providers (I'd like a confirm on this), that's no different than trusting $random_guy for your mail; also, it's a step backwards from tutanota's or protonmail's approaches

and don't get me started on this retarded murrica great again thing
>starting a business on US
>AGAIN
>with PATRIOT and whatnot
>under Trump's isolationism
"no"

The misuse of the words "privacy" and "security" in the specs baffles me
The only improvement we need on email is a *definitive* way to get rid of spoofed mail (spf, dkim and dmarc should be a MUST not a SHOULD and servers not enforcing TLS should be blacklisted)
Other than that, email is not meant for privacy - let's just try to make it secure, mmkay?

Anyway, as far as I can see, there's little to zero discussion about email on this filipino transgender subreddit, even if someone keeps making threads on this
>>
Why the fuck wouldn't you just host your own email server at that point
>>
>>58629475
>Why the fuck wouldn't you just host your own email server at that point

How would you get DIME working on your email server exactly?
>>
>>58629014
>and again they will vanish and get all of my paid monies to bahamass
nope this shitty provider making money
>>
>>58630482
While a better protocol like this memetic mail environment from lavabit is a very good idea the real problem is that every fucking one is using gmail/outlook/yahoo.
Even large organizations like universities use those three big email botn...err...providers.
People don't even use PGP even if with thunderbird and eningmail setting up the keys is so easy even a braindead retard could do it.
Email is just like instant messaging, people always choose the least secure and shittiest option (eg. whatsapp).

I run my email server, enforce starttls, use DKIM, spf, PTR and PGP.
In my address book only a bunch of people use PGP, most of them are neckbeards writing in mailing lists.
>>
lrn2self-host+enigmail, faggot
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.