[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SBC/ Single Board Computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: pi.jpg (23KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
pi.jpg
23KB, 500x283px
Can we have a comfy SBC thread going?
>Current/Future projects
>Future buys
>Questions
>>
I'm using an Orange Pi PC as a small home server to run tinc, privoxy and syncthing, running Armbian.
I also have an Orange Pi PC2 with a H5 SoC but it's collecting dust ATM due to lack of software support. Maybe in a few months it will be usable.
>>
>>58622133
>lack of software support
What is lacking exactly? I was planning on getting a PC2 to use as a fileserver.
That's a damn shame desu

OrangePi PC
>Couchpotato
>Sickrage
>Mysql
>Access Point

Raspberry Pi 2
>Kodi
>Deluge
>Samba share
>>
I have a pine64 (2g) that I attached to the inside of one of my desk drawers and drilled a hole through the back for the power, I use rdp on windows to connect and just torrent shit
>>
Just purchased a Pi 3 and am thinking of using it to set up a freeipa server. Anyone have any experience with this?
>>
File: Jeff_Sessions_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (8KB, 170x250px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff_Sessions_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
8KB, 170x250px
> Not using the 9$ chip
It's almost like you love loosing money
>>
>sbc
>>
>>58622201
>What is lacking exactly?
No mainline support for H5 at all due to Allwinner's GPL violations, so you have to use one of the images provided by orange pi and they're utter trash.
>>
>>58622437
>using the $9 dongle sbc
>>
I work fast food and live at home, using my mom's laptop to shitpost when she isn't on it. Can I make a desktop replacement out of a pi?
>>
>>58622703
Technically yes, but it will be painfully slow.
>>
Raspberry Pi 3b

Strictly an emulation machine hooked up to proper arcade controls, love it.
>>
I am about to flash my Odroid C2 with Ubuntu minimal. Little guy has a lot of power and I want a server and testing computer while also watching movies.
>>
>>58622437
>save $4 compared to an Orange Pi
>spend hours waiting for things to compile, no hdmi, no ethernet, general low end performance.

I have one, but I also have 7 or so Orange Pis
>>
>>58622703
Get her a second hand chromebook with a Celeron CPU and 4 GB of RAM.

Internet browsing will not be fast on a $35 SBC
>>
File: 1243040704639.png (4KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1243040704639.png
4KB, 640x400px
>>58622764
Odroid C2 is the best shit out there for $40
>>
>>58622703
You can buy a better laptop for under $150 and it'll be better than a pi as a desktop. Possibly cheaper too once you get all the accessories you'll need.
>USB wifi card
>keyboard+mouse
>monitor
>the pi itself
>SD card

>>58622829
WHERE THE FUCK IS EVERYONE'S FUCKING READING COMPREHENSION?
>using my mom's laptop
>my mom's laptop
>implying he wants his own computer
>implying he isn't making this for his mom
>>
>>58622884
Yeah, I bought an eMMC and damn, it boot in literally 1 second. With the network speed is all I need for my server needs.
>>
Going to set up my first-gen pi as a print server. Anything else I should have it running?
>>
>>58622082
I want something that has gigabit ethernet, a decent amount of ram, that I can hook up a harddrive to. Recommendations?
>>
>>58623049
banana pi 3
>>
>>58622082
fuck this pice of shit.
RPI random gpio briked iteslef.
OrangePi, chink send with broken ethernet
Only x64, xeon
>>
>>58622884
>>58622976
Quick question: I only own an RPi1 and want something with a bit more juice. The ODroid seems like a good option.
How much does differ from the Pi software/OS wise? Do they share repositories or am I going to run into issues if I want to to uses it like I'd use a Pi?
>>
>>58622082
Is a itx also considered sbc?
>>
>>58623511
No.
>>
What do you guys use the GPIO pins for?
>>
>>58623083
what's x64 ?
>>
>>58622703
Not optimal, but possible. Install Iceweasel and then the NoScript extension. As others have said though, it will be slow. Using Iceweasel and NoScript though, browsing on some sites would be acceptable.

If you're just going to use irc in terminal and shitpost on here tho, it is viable.
>>
>>58622082
Can I make a cheap alarm clock with buttons to program each day of the week
>>
>>58623083
>OrangePi, chink send with broken ethernet
What distro were you using?
>>
>>58623213
I run Lubuntu on Odroid. When I try to install something on my Odroid C1, I google it and I use to codes on Raspberry Pi DIY pages. These codes just work fine for me. In last two years I didn't come across anything incompatible
>>
Got an odroid xu4 the other day.

Have it set up as a server running deluge/qbittorrent as a seedbox. Attached an external HDD to it, passive cooler, and set governer to conservative so it's powerful when I need the bandwidth and energy efficient when doing normal slow seeding. It's been great so far.
>>
I have an orange pi zero, no idea how to install on OS on it
>>
Raspberry Pi 2
> Kodi
> Deluge
> Personal storage
The only problem that i'm having is that the 1TB HDD that i salvaged from my dead laptop needs 2 usbs to function properly and the case that i ordered has a built in fan that is obnoxiously loud. If i had a 3D printer i would just design a case with a built in on/off switch that would hold the board along with the HDD. It looks like a fucking mess right now.
>>
>>58624949
Hack a power supply to feed power to both the rpi and the hard drive, then just strap the pi to the top of the hdd.
>>
>>58623213
same distros share same repositories, so yeah, you have quite the same options for the *buntus
>>
>>58622703
Buy an odroid c2 and spent a little extra for the emmc. With that power you can play gaymes, watch movies, shitpost, etc etc etc.

This kills the desktop.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.