[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, I am convinced that microsoft completely fucked up with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 1485073205473.jpg (49KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1485073205473.jpg
49KB, 900x675px
Okay, I am convinced that microsoft completely fucked up with their last OS. I am now looking to change my daily OS.

I've been using Linux for a while, so *nix is not so unfamiliar to me. But some zealots keep telling me FreeBSD is more secure. So I ended up coming across GhostBSD (a FreeBSD distro).

How does it compare with Ubuntu's usability and and overall security?
>>
>>58616162
install macOS
>>
>>58616170
I'm not really homosexual or a retard that seeks out fisher price shiny meme laptops with zero usability.
>>
>>58616181
>>>/v/
>>
>>58616185
Can you please stop shilling applel trash?
>>
>>58616162
OS X is a better Linux/FreeBSD AND you get an awesome GUI if you want it (or not).
>>
>>58616181
but you are retarded if you think that macOS is only for homosexuals. it offers more functionality than Windows, with UNIX certification, so there's no need for a linux distro. you can just make a hackintosh and you dont need to buy any hardware.
>>
Consider hackintosh. No, really. As an OS it's okay, but you won't like it if you don't like having your hand held the whole time and treated like a kid by your operating system.

BSD has a... cuck software license. Sorry for using a memeword but it describes the theme of the license pretty well.

BSD is more secure than MOST default linux distributions.
If you want security, unironically go for gentoo. You can build features like ASLR into your kernel and many of the other security features first developed by the linux community but never actually implemented in mainstream distros. Or any other distro you build yourself.

However, I just use xubuntu because it has a lightweight DE, it's based on ubuntu so I get all the help I want from google, and debian packages.
I think it's the overall best distro.
>>
>>58616475
>you won't like it if you don't like having your hand held the whole time and treated like a kid by your operating system.
what
that's windows, macOS gives you a terminal with full system access by default
>>
>>58616477
I was talking more about the DE and the general attitude.
But the bigger problem is hardware support. OSX supports absolutely zero hardware, and is a pain in the ass to get working, with hacks and custom drivers, on 99% of x86 devices.

But I said that it should still be considered, just I don't like it, as someone who built a hackintosh.
>>
>>58616504
hackintosh is actually surprisingly easy now, if you have an intel processor then there's a good chance it will work
you might need a replacement wifi card or something minor like that, but for the most part it should just werk
>>
>>58616162
what keeps you from not using windows 7?
>>
>>58616510
I'd do it again on a desktop, but not a laptop.
>>
>>58616504
>OSX supports absolutely zero hardware, and is a pain in the ass to get working, with hacks and custom drivers, on 99% of x86 devices.

I bought a random haswell build for games. an intel i5 4460 and a 280x with 16gb of RAM and a cheap ass motherboard. I decided to try hackintosh and all that was a pain was jack retasking, which literally nobody else does.

-And- I had to replace the stupid motherboard with another even cheaper one from MSI, and everything worked just fine as well.

Nowadays you can get just a random intel build, and with nvidia you even get a choice of drivers in case your shit doesn't work well. If something, OSX considering it -officially- only supports a handful of computers, has a really good hardware compatibility.
>>
>>58616567
basically this
i decided to try it on my ~2011 gaming pc just for fun and it worked perfectly
>>
>>58616567
>>58616574
Yes, desktops. Laptops are a different story.
Which is why I said:
>>58616519
>I'd do it again on a desktop, but not a laptop.
>>
>>58616453
I'd rather be gay than retarded. I least I can always become ungay but retarded is forever.
>>
>>58616162
Since we're in the topic of Hackintoshes, anybody had experience in using Core2Quads? I have an old PC for '07 and been wanting to use it for Linux but might try Mac OS if it werks.
>>
>>58616624
Then install macOS.
>>
>>58616624
too late, your already retarded
>>
>>58616437
It's basically mint if it got money behind its development
>>
>>58616724
>comparing macOS to a fork of a derivative of literally the worst distro
no
>>
File: 1474616228925.png (457KB, 696x938px) Image search: [Google]
1474616228925.png
457KB, 696x938px
>>58616742
Macshit is the shittiest meme.

Mactards GTFO my thread NOW
>>
>op asks for recommendations
>everyone suggests macOS
>"wwahhhhh thats for HOMOS"
lol
>>
>>58616987
>everyone
Nice try faggot, look at the IP count
>>
>>58616453
Lmaooo apple fag
>>
>>58616971
>using and outdated version of macOS to compare with shitty Windows 8
this issue has been resolved a few version ago, no need to get upset anymore, wintard.
>>
FreeBSD is not secure.
https://vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
OpenBSD, however, is.
>>
>>58616453
There is not a single day at work where I don't get frustrated as fuck by this shitty os, the garbage hardware and the even worse software. How dare people claim that osx is anything but a conglomeration of unusable, bug ridden chunks of binary vomit?
>>
>>58616162
>some zealots keep telling me FreeBSD is more secure

Freebsd and linux distros mostly differ in the kernel and base system. Most of the software you run is the same in both environments. So it has exactly the same security issues.

And the linux kernel is vastly superior to bsds, so there is literally no reason to run bsds in this day and age. The only reason they can claim stability is due to their obsolescence and lack of changes that can introduce holes.
>>
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N.

Enterprise: allows you to fully disable most telemetry
LTSB: No automatic updates, no Cortana, generally stripped clean
N: Europoor edition with no preinstalled media software so you don't have to use Windows Media Shitshow
>>
>>58616170
>>58616185
>>58616437
>>58616453
>>58616475
what is this shit?
>>
>>58616453
>can't just drag a window to the left/right to split snap it
>default maximize button behavior is to make the app fullscreen, hiding the menu bar, alternate behavior is to properly maximize it
>App Store is pretty barebones for someone that knows about good software and the free software is almost always shit
After hearing people say "just werks" for years, I was quite surprised that you need to know so many keyboard shortcuts and commands to do the most basic stuff in Windows and Linux. And yeah, you can say that Windows has the same problem with its store but I hate having to go looking for my favorite software on Windows, too. I'm paying for more and getting pretty much the same and/or less functionality/usability. Glorified Facebook machine is spot on because I don't know how anyone but a casual/someone that's never used anything aside from Apple products can find such a barebones OS acceptable.

Ubuntu really is the best of both worlds.
>>
File: 1476712554740.png (116KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
1476712554740.png
116KB, 320x371px
>>58618570
It's a macfag.

>>58616987
Stop samefagging, you apple cuck.
If you have to scream loudly and flail your arms, smearing shit all over this thread to get people to recognise your shitty OS, it can't be a good one, right?
>>
>>58616162
It's got some tuning to do to secure it, however once you do that it's fairly decent. It lacks some of the modern """security""" through obscurity features, but they are temporary workarounds. In the long term, not very important, but still would be nice to have.

What you'll find in FreeBSD is amazing technologies for large scale systems, not as desktop friendly as Ubuntu though.
>>
>>58617800
>fork everything
>no trusted components in an OS
>believe it's correct in limiting modern hardware because it can't handle it's speed

You really fell for the bullshit OpenBSD feeds you?
>>
>>58616162
https://antergos.com/

Just install this. Don't install *BSD without making sure that your hardware actually works with it.
>>
>>58618313
because youre using it wrong, you probably have bad habits thanks to the way windows works.
>>
>>58618699
Why are mactards so obnoxious>
>>
>>58616567
Macos doesnt support pascal cards though. So if you wanna use 1050-1080, you're out of luck.
>>
>>58618983
To try and justify their shitty purchases, and because the kind of people who buy macs are generally loud and obnoxious people.
>>
>>58618577
>can't just drag a window to the left/right to split snap it
You can actually, hold down on the zoom button (green one) and drag it towards the left or right of the screen.

>default maximize button behavior is to make the app fullscreen, hiding the menu bar, alternate behavior is to properly maximize it
Hold option (alt) when clicking on the zoom button

>App Store is pretty barebones for someone that knows about good software and the free software is almost always shit
Most advanced macOS users don't even use the Mac App Store. You can sideload any app just fine, even with that meme gatekeeper preference being removed, all you have to do is right click and click on open.
>>
>>58618353
LTSB also meams no feature updates like Anniversary Update. Btw, you can disable everything, including updates in just Ent without LTSB: oh shutup 10 and disable auto updates in group policy.
>>
File: 1439487189415.webm (2MB, 472x352px) Image search: [Google]
1439487189415.webm
2MB, 472x352px
>>58616453
>it offers more functionality than Windows
OP doesn't use Windblows, which you would realize if you read the post.
>it offers more functionality than BSD and/or Linux
This would be an on-topic statement.
In which case: List it and name it you dumb retarded faggot.
Are all Apple faggots as stupid as you are and incapable of giving anything more than blank statements in your posts?
>>
>>58619043
>OP doesn't use Windblows, which you would realize if you read the post.
>>Okay, I am convinced that microsoft completely fucked up with their last OS. I am now looking to change my daily OS.
>>
File: tired_man_sepia.jpg (122KB, 451x473px) Image search: [Google]
tired_man_sepia.jpg
122KB, 451x473px
>>58619074
AKA
>i'm no longer using Windwos
in addition to
>I've been using Linux for a while
and
>So I ended up coming across GhostBSD
meaning
>using Windows as an argument to shill MacOS is not only redundant in this topic but also expressive to how low level your shilling is when you use Windblows as a comparison

Dumb faggot. Do you need a person to stand next to you to remind you how to breathe? Are you that mentally castrated?
>>
What is with all these faggots using server software as a daily os?
>>
>>58619132
wew lad you are brave enough to post in /g/, do you see pleb blood shading all over the board?

>>>""server"" software
epic buzzwordz tho
>>
>>58619149
Solid arguments
>>
>>58619168
You were looking for an argument? LOL

Let's start with daily "Current state of wankblows" threads
>>
>>58619199
I asked a question and expected a bsdfag to answer, but this board is full of retards. I probably just set my hopes too high. In case anyone wants to discuss without memes/shitty troll attempts

Why would I use bsd over linux if linux has way more support and generally looks easier to use/configure to my liking?
>>
>>58619245
>Why
because you're retarded, we've been over this already
>>
>>58619245
To be honest though, if your work is limited you actually can use Linux and FreeBSD interchangeably. But Linux beats FreeBSD with more daily usage 3rd party binaries
>>
>>58619303
Good to know. Any way to port the binaries to bsd? Why aren't they compatible if the kernels are so similar?
>>
>>58618971
Yeah doing stuff from the command line is a bad habit... Working with file paths too. And what about programs that don't crash all the time... What a bad habit to expect that!
>>
>>58619016
I know about holding down the green button and pressing alt to do all of that but I'm just so used to dragging my windows around to tile/manipulate the size of it. Split-screening apps also puts you into fullscreen mode which I just hate. I know about Spectacle but having to use a third-party app for shit I consider "expected" is one of my biggest hang-ups about Windows.

I've also never had problems with Linux when using mainstream distros so semantics aside, a Mac is just a pretty but shitty DE IMO. And I'm not even trying to shill.
>>
File: IMG_20170123_181231.jpg (17KB, 306x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_181231.jpg
17KB, 306x288px
>>58617590
So macos is on par with win95, good to know
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.