[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sbc/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: orangepipc2_info.jpg (181KB, 1000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
orangepipc2_info.jpg
181KB, 1000x1375px
What does /g/ think of the Orange Pi PC 2?

What are some interesting things I can do with one? Was thinking of using it as a HTPC, but I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>58614391
Just what do you expect to use the IRDA for?
>>
>>58614391
>/g/
/g/ will sperg out about allwinner backdoor and not give you any actual answer, like me.
>>
>>58614391

I think it's an interesting device as soon as basic stuff like hardware accelerated video playback actually werks.
>>
>>58614391
If my original Orange Pi is any indication, it'll suck even harder than a Rasbperry Pi because of lack of software support.

I got my Orange Pi well into its presence in the SBC market, and it *STILL* did not have GPIO drivers. You could not utilize the GPIOs *at all*. At some point, a user made their own driver for it, but then that just up and fucking disappeared.
>>
>>58614391
You will need to underclock it (or return it to the stock Allwinner clock, however you look at it) if you want to run it at load for extended periods of time and 64bit is probably useless.

However, it has a gigabit ethernet port with a dedicated chip and bus so you get full gigabit speeds, though with USB2 you are going to hit a limit there. I don't know what the max speeds of the card reader are, but you could possibly look into the NAS expansion board which is for the Orange Pi Zero, but as long as one of the rows of GPIO headers matches, I haven't checked it, then it should be able to be used on the PC2.
>>
>>58615296
Scratch the last part, the pins the NAS board connects to on the Zero are completely different to GPIO.
>>
>>58615250

Not different than the proprietary BLOBs on the Pi then.
>>
>>58614391
> PC 2
No video drivers for Linux, nothing works yet.
>>
>>58615293
WiringOP is still around, I found it in a couple of minutes.
>>
>>58615296
Could you not just use a heatsink?
>>
>>58615696
You can, but the question is how ridiculous do you want the cooling to be just for a couple hundred MHz OC?

If you're not going to push the CPU hard then it pretty much doesn't matter, but if you give it sustained loads it will shut down cores to control the thermal load and that becomes counter productive.
>>
File: 10746-02a.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
10746-02a.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
>>58616057
>how ridiculous
You'd be surprised how well a small heatsink on the SoC would improve thermals.

Considering how cheap they are I'd put one on ram and stuff too.
>>
>>58616512
I have small heatsinks on my OrangePis, they make a difference but it is a small difference.
>>
>>58616542
You'd be surprised how much difference thermal paste makes
>>
>>58616562
That's not the issue. The issue is that you need to move the heat from the heatsink (to the air).

Adding the small heatsink does make a difference because you do effectively increase the surface area exposed to air and thus increase the rate of dissipation but when those things will comfortably hit 100C at their stock overclocks under full load a tiny heatsink isn't going to make enough difference. It's just generating too much heat for passive transfer to air with that little surface area.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.