[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do with a bad HDD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I received a hard drive for xmas(pic related). The drive is defective, loaded with bad sectors. The person who gave it to me can't return it and doesn't want it back. After running the WD diagnostic tools, it told me that I needed a new drive. So, knowing that this thing is good for nothing, I figured I could at least play with it.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.
>>
File: hard-drive-clock-1.jpg (152KB, 860x513px) Image search: [Google]
hard-drive-clock-1.jpg
152KB, 860x513px
>>58612455
Regift it to the person who gave it to you
>>
Get HD tune pro and do a benchmark
See after how much GB it starts to falls apart
Then partition the drive into two parts: the part before it starts to fall apart and the part after
You could maybe get some use of it this way.
>>
>>58612455
Turn it into a disc thrower like the ripper from Unreal Tournament. Then go to town on whoever gifted you that turd.
>>
OP here.

The first thing I wanted to try was formatting it with UDF to keep files on, for shits and giggles. But, I don't know how to maintain a list of bad sectors for the drive, because UDF itself doesn't offer this feature.
>>
>>58612468
>>58612471
Well. He bought me two drives and only one of them was bad, so there's still some love there.

>>58612470
I ran badblocks for a while, the bad sectors start WAY early on. 50 bad sectors within the first 25,000. I stopped after that.

>>58612471
I like the idea of just hitting people with it better, more pointy corners that way.
>>
>>58612455
All drives have, at the very least, a 3 month manufacturers warranty. Contact WD support and have them ship you a new one.
>>
Blast it with piss
>>
>>58612504
Sadly, it was ordered too long before I received it for this to be applicable.
>>
>>58612499
You can sharpen the disks.
>>
>>58612499
Actually, after checking the warranty with WD, it appears this may be possible. I took his word for it initially.
>>
>>58612517
lel this was my nightmare as a child getting gifts. Every year I'd spout holy FUCK I don't care if I get it late, just don't buy it months in advance, keep it under a blanket, and then give it to me. Electronics do not have the same kinds of return abilities as sweaters, grandma.
>>
>>58612455
Go to Walmart
Buy an external HDD
Crack it open and swap the drives (zero yours out first obviously and physically wipe the case)
Return it
Enjoy your functional HDD
>>
Put it on Etsy as a "Nerdy Paperweight" for two hundred bucks.

I promise you someone will buy it.
>>
>>58613903
tries to return it
everyone in wallmart laugh
> you removed the warranty sticker sir
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.