[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatever happened to 3D printing? It was all over the new in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Whatever happened to 3D printing? It was all over the new in the early-to-mid 2010s, but I never hear about it any more.
>>
are you serious? It's more talked about than ever before now that everyone has easy access to 3d printers
>>
>>58611784
its useless on the consumer level unless you want to spend 600$+ making keychains and trinkets
>>
not good enough for regular people to print things they'd want to
relatively hard to use
too expensive for what they do -- unless they fill a niche you need, like printing phone cases or some shit

it's good for prototyping and some edge cases, like printing a part for a model kit or a cup holder but in general it's just not good enough. people were hyped years ago because they had unrealistic expectations, hoping that you'd be able to manufacture pretty much anything and that it'd be better than the mass produced stuff. we're not there and we might never be -- economies of scale imply the latter
>>
it got really popular in the industrial sector and for DIY kinda shit, but its not a household item any more than a bandsaw is
plenty of people have hobbies where a bandsaw is useful, but very few have one tucked away in their garage

theyre mainly used for prototyping in commercial situations
>>
>>58611784
It is kind of like when people here say I've got a Raspberry Pi, what do.

If you had a need then you get it. Don't buy it and then come up with a need.
>>
3D printers are expensive, so not many people have them. But if you have a one-off part you need made, plenty of services will make it for you cheaply. Try your local public library.
>>
>>58611784
They didn't realize china is one gigantic 3d printer .
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.