[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPN's wtf...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1462755302550.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1462755302550.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
Wait. VPN's cost money?????? Im raging out of my ass right now. I was all siked out tonight to start setting one up. Been putting it off for months. I go look up how to do it and every tutorial: "find a VPN provider, 10.99/month this, suck my dick/year that". I thought one of the points of VPNs was to get away from "providers". Seems insufferably ironic. So can someone enlighten me and throw ice water on me right now. Is it possible to run a VPN off your router or comp at home and NOT have to pay someone?
>>
>>58598864
Free VPNs are trash. Just pay the money, you fucking Jew. If you're doing something that requires a VPN in the first place you shouldn't complain about paying for it.
>>
>>58598954
What im saying is, what is a VPN really. Is it something I could run off a home server or something? What exactly are the VPN people giving me when I pay?
>>
Here you go, don't fall for the meme.
https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
>>
>>58598864
Do you even understand what a VPN is?

Why do you expect someone to offer this service for free to you?
>>
>>58599050
well I get its some sort of service now, but like i said here >>58598990

what about bypassing those guys and running your own on a home server? I this possible?? It seems like everywhere i look tutorial sites are shilling VPN providers.
>>
>>58598864
Are you retarded?

Yes.
>>
>>58598990
The point of a VPN is that your internet data is routed through it so your IP is not visible.
You can get a cheap VPS and set up a VPN over it.
Running a VPN services from your home server is the same as not using a VPN
>>
>>58598864
What are you using the VPN and where are you going to be when using it? If you just want to bypass blocked sites while at work or school then setting up a vpn at your house will work fine. If you want to not get caught torrenting or something while at home you need the vpn to be external.
>>
>>58599100
Ok maybe im all fucked up here. But dont you need a VPN to cast remote desktop and say, movie files, to other networks? Like say I have movie files on a server at my house and I want a friend to log into my network from his house in buttfuck candyland and be able to see those files. I could have sworn i heard multiple times that you need a VPN for this
>>
>>58599133
What you might be looking for is a plex server on your desktop or remote access or something. You could also set up a home VPN so you connect from the internet to the home network and can see everything you have connected to that home network but that's probably more work.

A VPN provider is somebody you pay like $40 a year to let you connect to their servers in not where you live and request data and send it back to you, so all your ISP sees is encrypted data.

A VPN just lets you be somewhere else more or less-the home VPN lets you access your home network when you're not there, and the VPN service lets you access web pages or torrents from a server in Ireland or wherever and sends them back to you.
>>
>>58599208
yeah from what ive been reading a VPN is the best option sadly. Thanks for the input
>>
>>58598864
i dont want the bird to stab me what do i do?????
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.