[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ocg/ - Overclocking General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: X58-UD3R.jpg (2MB, 3286x2432px) Image search: [Google]
X58-UD3R.jpg
2MB, 3286x2432px
Welcome to Overclocking General!
Post any relevant information to your overclock.

Any questions, or advice are encouraged.
Old shitbox edition
>>
File: House Heater.jpg (39KB, 470x439px) Image search: [Google]
House Heater.jpg
39KB, 470x439px
>>58592188
So I am looking to overclock my CPU

I have the Gigabyte UDR3 mobo in OP picture with a i7 975 running a stock 980x cooler

Stock CPU speed is 3.33GHz, my goal for now is to hit stable 3.60GHz speeds.
Is that something I can do on a stock cooler?

So what do I do exactly. So far the only consistent information I found was:
-Leave CPU clock ratio as is
-Raise the Base Clock Frequency to desired number
-Set the Uncore ratio to half of the QPI on Auto
-Keep RAM stock, or downclock
-No info on voltage increase

Is that it? Do I just play around with these numbers until I can run stable?
>>
>>58592357
Get a cheap replacement cooler like a Gammaax 400 that's compatible both with your antique shit and modern 1151 boards. Then when you upgrade you can keep the cooler.

You will almost certainly need a cooler if you're hitting 55+ at idle.
>>
>>58592357
I have had a 24/7 overclocked i7 920 since I got it in 2009 and all I did was change the bus speed and memory dividers to keep the RAM near its rated frequency.

These CPUs run hot though and you will probably need a better HSF to overclock, especially if you need to raise the cpu voltage to get it stable.
>>
File: intel_dbxb_fan.jpg (38KB, 550x480px) Image search: [Google]
intel_dbxb_fan.jpg
38KB, 550x480px
>>58592381
Its winter, I got the heat on, its increasing my overall temps.
Before I spend money on a cooler, I want to figure out overlocking on this board first. That's why I want to start low.

The 980x heatsink is pretty nice, I got it over the stock 975 because folks have successfully ran OC with it. Its fan speed, and all my case fans are set to their lowest settings.

I want to first find a stable clock, and if my temps get significantly higher, buy a cooler, or turn up the fans speeds first.
>>
Best conf for oc an i5 4970k @4.2 or 4.4Ghz?
>>
>>58592916
4.4ghz you can get on a 4670k so if i were you i would try to hit for a 4.6 stable at 1.4 or less it's quite achievable on air without too high of temps
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.